CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
November 2, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson
Also present: Randy Jenniges and Jason Chopp of S.E.H., Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Ron Rutchasky of Rutchasky Enterprises, Sewer Maintenance Worker Lance Ulen, E.S.A. Representative John Connaker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and 2 members of the community.
OPENING COMMENTS: Chairman Rob Scott stated that thoughts were with Terry and Anne Jackson for the loss of Terry’s mother and their son in September and thanked them for their Thank You card to the District. The Board agreed that the Board of Managers’ Regular Meetings would be held on the first Wednesday of each month at 2PM rather than 7:30PM during the winter months.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the 10/5/16 Board of Managers’ Meeting.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The September 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. October 2016 payroll including payroll taxes: Admin – $2,845.08; Operating – $6,032.36. The 3rd Quarter QuickBooks entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. Bills for payment: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Bloomers – $42.95; and Quill – $259.73. ESA IRRRB Fund: Udovich Electric – $1,834.75. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $506.22, $142.96, $139.51, $45.10, $46.00, & $49.00; Anderson Outfitters – $660.00; Citi-Lites – $466.00; Gopher State One Call – $1.35; Handberg’s Marine – $7.49; Menards – $83.77; Pace Analytical – $140.00; Rutchasky Enterprises – $945.00; Udovich Electric – $276.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,343.20. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to transfer $1,500.00 from the Operating Fund to S.A.R. Savings and $1,500.00 from the Operating Fund to C.R. Savings. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Rate Review: The Revenue & Expense Projections were presented to the Board for review. The Board will decide at the December meeting whether or not to increase the rates for 2017.
- Ordinance 1 – Article IV-Use of Public Sewer Required: The ordinance is being reviewed for mandatory hook-up requirements – as in the past, or as an option with a possible ordinance amendment being made. Mia Thibodeau of Fryberger, Buchanan has been asked to provide an Ordinance 1 draft amendment for Board review.
- District Letters: Those present reviewed a letter to be sent to residents explaining the voluntary Management Program. A mailing will be sent in November. Congdon requested that the letter be addressed to CLWSD Residents rather than ESA Residents. He also requested that the terms ESA & WSA be eliminated and the District be considered as one.
- CLWSD Board Appointments: Two Manager positions will be appointed by the Town Board in December.
- DNR Cooperative Agreements (Bayside Drive & Handberg Rd.): An email has been sent to Scott Kelling of the DNR asking if there will be two separate contracts or one combining the two sites. Scott will do follow-up work on this.
- Survey Letters: Survey letters were mailed with the September billing asking customers to confirm their current EDU status and advising the Board of any changes. A second survey letter was sent with the October billing to those not responding. A third survey letter will be sent with the November billing to those that still have not responded.
- Delinquency Letters: There were no delinquencies to certify to the County.
- Professional Service Contracts: Contracts will be reviewed and updated for approval at the December meeting.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – November 2, 2016
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: The next planned meeting is for January 25, 2017 in Crane Lake.
- State and Federal Grant Funding: To be addressed in the S.E.H. Engineering Update.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: Costs to annex would be around $6,000 and the process would take up to three years. A blueprint of the District and Township boundaries is being considered.
- ESA Advisory Rep. Update: John Connaker stated that there was no report.
- Management Program Overview: A report was presented stating the status of each of the 22 applicants for new sewer systems. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to request that Jim Orton do a District-wide review of ISTS’s. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Randy Jenniges introduced engineer Jason Chopp from the S.E.H. Virginia office. Jason’s background is in treatment plants while Randy’s expertise is in collection systems.
- Handberg Road Expansion – Phase I: Randy stated that the punch list was complete and recommended final payment; which was approved at a previous meeting. Brian Fitzpatrick of the MPCA as requested a visit to the site on 11/10/16, along with two Board members as a requisite of CAR approval and moving on to Handberg Road Extension – Phase II.
- MPCA/PFA Funding Status: Phase I must be completed prior to beginning Phase II for funding purposes. Randy recommended a feasibility study of the Handberg Road area and review of costs eligible for funding. The generator, butterfly valve and VHB dumping issues are being considered for grant reimbursement.
- Jason Chopp discussed options for the butterfly valve with the Board. It was suggested by the Board that Jason work with Terry Jackson, Ron Rutchasky and Lance Ulen to arrive at a resolution for the issue. The group also discussed options for the VHB houseboat grinder to eliminate the need for repair and grinder replacements.
- DNR Facility Development: Randy understood that the DNR had performed land surveys in preparation for construction in 2017.
O & M Update (Decentralized)
- ISTS Program Status: A report will be presented as O & M updates occur.
- ISTS Inspections – Establish a Program: The Board will be establishing a program for required inspections of the new systems.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that all effluent limitations were met during September. The temperature gauge has been calibrated, reset and is now working. This will be monitored daily. Most curb stops have been located. Location will continue. Terry provided history on the butterfly valve at the plant.
- Bio-solids Options: Terry and Ron are working on options and Terry will include bio-solids options in his MPCA/NPDS review.
- Winterization: Winterization of customer grinder tanks will be verified.
- Blankets: Blankets have been placed. Bob DeFries has inquired about the need for a blanket at his residence, which has had a history of freezing. Bob will be requested to re-route his furnace drip, which may eliminate the freezing issue. His grinder will be covered.
- Water Infusion & Heat Tape start-up will begin at a later date. Water temperatures at the plant are currently around 50 degrees.
- Generator Quote: A quote of $46,820.00 was received from Community Electric for a generator to be used at the lift station at CSAH24 and Handberg Road, and at the DNR Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – DECEMBER 7, 2016 – 2:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.