CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
January 13, 2014 – 8:15 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 8:15P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott & Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson
Also present: Sara Heger of the U of MN, Rollie Mann of Otter Tail Water Management District, Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 4 members of the community.
Oaths of Office: Bill Congdon and Darrell Scott took the Oath of Office prior to the Public Meeting at 6:30PM.
Election of Officers: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, that the officers remain the same with Rob Scott as Chairman, Bruce Beste as Vice-Chairman and Jo Ann Pohlman as Clerk/Treasurer. B. Congdon, D. Scott and B. Beste voted in favor, R. Scott voted against and the motion carried.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of December 12, 2013 and the Closed Meeting of December 12, 2013. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. December 2013 payroll expenses: Administrative – $585.00 and Operations – $1,998.13. The $59,461.00 Rural Develop P&I Loan payment was made on January 2, 2014. The November 2013 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $123.38; Sara Heger – $473.33 and Rollie Mann – $800.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $835.83, $101.53, $44.89, $0 & $45.00; A-1 Services – $2,098.80, $200.00 & $3,626.80; Citi-Lites – $300.00; DVS Renewal – $21.00; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; Grand Rapids Public Utilities – $429.77; Pace Analytical – $296.00; Teledyne – $645.71; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,261.25. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Bob Bartell’s invoice in the amount of $3,550.00 for inspections of ISTS’s on Bear Island is on hold until reports are received. The District may need to transfer funds back to the Operating Fund from the Capital Reserve Savings to pay February bills.
- Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- Grinder Repair Charges: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to write a letter to Voyagaire offering the exchange of the cost of four pump repairs for repairs/enhancements to their system to prevent further pump damage. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to charge Voyageur Lakes Development $250.00 for grinder repair with a letter of explanation. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Ordinance Review: A final draft was received from Fryberger for review prior to final approval.
- ESA & WSA Advisory Representatives: The District has received no volunteers for the Advisory positions and will address when and if volunteers come forward.
- Terry Jackson Contract Renewal: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the renewal of the 2014 Contract for Terry’s Operational Services with a $100 increase. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Attorney Designate: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, to designate Fryberger, Buchanan Law Firm as primary council for the District with other council being consulted on an as need basis. R. Scott, D. Scott, and B. Beste voted in favor, B. Congdon voted against and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 13, 2014
- Hoff Account: The Clerk was requested to look into the option of a lien on the property with St. Louis County.
- RLK Arbitration: The issue has been resolved with the agreement that $100,000 will be paid to the District.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: The meeting was held on 12/16/13 with the next meeting being scheduled for 1/23/14. Island View is waiting for bonding money. Kabetogama is working on financial plans. Letters will be written from both St. Louis and Koochiching Counties to the MPCA, the VNP, and the DNR to participate in the issues being addressed by the JPB. The County Commissioners continue with their recommendation to wait for a decision regarding Legacy grant funds. An invoice was sent to St. Louis County for $8,500 by the District for cost overruns.
- Engineering Services Grant Request & State and Federal Grant Applications: There was no discussion.
- State and Federal Grant Applications: There was no discussion.
- St. Louis County Actions: There was no discussion.
- Randy Jenniges had nothing specific to add to the Sara Heger and Rolllie Mann presentations. Randy Jenniges and Greg Kimman will share representation to the District. R. Scott requested that Randy communicate with Gary Cerkvenik on ways grant monies may be spent. Randy will also look at the CAR concept presented by Sara Heger and how it would apply to the District.
- Randy will be speaking with Bob Bartell next week about the report on ISTS’s on Bear Island.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reported that all effluent standards were met during December. Flow rates have slowed down. Chemical feed is adjusted daily in accord with volume flow.
- Parts have been received for repair of the influent sampler and will be installed soon.
- There are problems with the scraper for the secondary clarifier. Repairs will be made at the same time as sludge build-up is removed in the spring.
- The annual MPCA Biosolids Report was submitted to the MPCA.
- A quote of $23,000 for two new recirculation pumps was received from Electric Pump. Terry will review District options with Randy Jenniges of S.E.H.
- The District is still looking for a maintenance vehicle
- Terry is considering additional personnel for the plant.
- A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to increase payment to Lance Ulen from 2 hours to 2-1/2 hrs per daily trip to the plant to compensate for mileage and vehicle use. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): John Connaker asked about the status of running an underwater pipe to Bear Island. R. Scott responded that all options still remain on the table with the pipe not being the first option.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:15PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – FEB. 5, 2014, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.