CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Wednesday, January 2, 2019 –1:00 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
Prior to the meeting, Robert Scott took the Oath of Office.
The meeting was called to order by Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman at 1:15P.M.
Members present: Bruce Beste, Nick Roth, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Mark Anderson & Darrell Scott.
Also present: Jason Chopp of S.E.H. and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Election of Officers: The Clerk asked for nominations for Chairman. Nick Roth recommended that the Chairman (Rob Scott) and Vice- Chairman (Bruce Beste) remain the same. Bruce Beste declined the nomination for Vice-Chairman. Bruce Beste nominated Nick Roth as Vice-Chairman. There were no other nominations and the nominations were closed. B. Beste and N. Roth voted in favor of Rob Scott remaining as Chairman. Rob abstained and the nomination carried. B. Beste and R. Scott voted in favor of Nick Roth becoming the Vice-Chairman. N. Roth abstained and the nomination carried. The Clerk turned the meeting over to Chairman R. Scott.
Opening Comment: Chairman Scott wished everyone in the community a very Happy New year.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, to approve the minutes of the 12/5/18 Board of Managers’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by N. Roth, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The November 2018 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. December 2018 payroll: Admin – $1,687.30, Operating – $3,429.71, Payroll Taxes – $787.38. $59,461.00 was transferred from S.A.R. Savings to S.A.R Checking for the R.D. Loan Payment. A motion as made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin: Costin Group – $1,250.00, and Fryberger, Buchanan – $2,321.86. Operating: Lake Country Power – $847.51, $191.57, $171.71, $72.43, & $211.00; Citi-Lites – $31.00; DVS Renewal – $20.00; Pace Analytical – $329.00; Pelican Bay Foods – $192.05; Rutchasky Enterprises – $100.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $2,062.91. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: The funding balances were reviewed. Legacy 1 grant funds have been closed out. A submittal has been sent to the MPCA using the majority of the District’s $75,000 matching funds and approximately ½ of the$300,000 Legacy 2 grant funds.
2019 Rate Review: After reviewing the District’s revenue and expense projections through 2022, the Board agreed that rates would remain the same for 2019.
- CLWSD Advisory Rep. Update: There was no report.
- ISTS Ordinance Update & Review: There has been nothing new to report since Mia Thibodeau of Fryberger, Buchanan attended the November 7th meeting. The Clerk will contact Mia for an update.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott did not attend the December meeting. Jason Chopp of S.E.H. reported that there was little change and that retired Commissioner Tom Rukavina’s position on the Board needed to be filled.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: The District plans to address next spring.
- State and Federal Grant Funding: There was nothing new to report.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 2, 2019
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Handberg Road Project (Phase II): Jason Chopp reported that the project construction is complete and the required closeout paperwork from Bougalis and Sons Construction has been requested. Jason will inform the District when remaining documents are received.
- GIS Sewer Map Update: Final copies of the system maps have been printed and S.E.H. will coordinate with the Ely Echo for lamination. S.E.H. anticipates providing the printed copies to the District in February.
O & M. Update (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: There was no update.
- Rate Discussion: The Board discussed a rate for those wishing to participate in the Management System with an existing system or a partial system needing to be pumped. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by N. Roth, as of the January billing to charge ½ the current rate for those customers requiring 1 pump per year. If more than one pump is needed, the customer will then be charged the full rate. R. Scott and N. Roth voted in favor; B. Beste abstained and the motion carried.
- Variances: A letter will be written to Butch Eggen advising him that District Ordinance requires that he write a letter to the District requesting a variance to sewer hook-up unless he wishes to be part of the Management System.
- Groomer Garage: The Board will discuss installation of a holding tank at the Groomer Garage with Rutchasky Enterprises, assuring its compliance with District Ordinance.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson provided a report to the Board stating that the end of month results are not in yet for December, although it appears that all effluent limitations were maintained. A minor adjustment in chemical dosage was made. The plant continues to show good winter operation.
- Plant Manpower and Operators: Destin Anderson (Terry’s replacement at the City of Winton utilities) and Rob Scott, Jr. will both be taking the Class C operator test in March to qualify as plant operators. Nick Roth volunteered to take the Class C operator test and will be able to do so after being on the District payroll for a full year.
- Winterization – Status and Temperatures: The December temperatures at the plant have decreased from 45.5 to 41.9. The temperatures will be monitored and action will be taken should they near the 36 degree mark. 12 new cement blankets were received and two have been placed. N. Roth will review the list of those with and without blankets with M. Anderson to determine if everyone that should have one has one. A permanent list will be made for maintenance workers for use in future years. More blankets will be ordered as necessary.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:25PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – FEBRUARY 6, 2019 – 1:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.