CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
February 1, 2017 – 2:00 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 2:15P.M.
Members present: Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, and Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson and Darrell Scott
Also present: Jason Chopp of S.E.H., Jim and Kim Orton of Orton Construction, Sewer Operator Terry Jackson, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 2 members of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the 1/4/17 Board of Managers’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The December 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. January 2017 payroll, including payroll taxes: Admin – $1,685.17; Operating – $3,905.23. The 4th Quarter 2016 QuickBooks entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. The 2015 audit has been completed and was emailed to the Board. The December 2016 Tax Apportionment was received – $1,799.43 to S.A.R. Savings and $464.83 to Admin. Bills for payment: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,250.00 and Range Office Supply – $10.63. IRRRB Fund: S.E.H. – $1,281.00. Legacy Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $853.60. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,153.00, $124.64, $155.78, $77.21, $198.00, & $64.00; Gopher State One Call – $100.00 & $1.35; Pace Analytical – $329.00; USABlueBook – $188.70; and Terry’s Operational Services – $2,560.20. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to transfer $2,000.00 from the Operating Fund to S.A.R. Savings and $1,000.00 from the Operating Fund to C.R. Savings each month in 2017. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
MPCA/PFA Funding: The Board reviewed the grant funding status report. It was agreed that another District-wide letter would be mailed to potential ISTS customers advising of grant fund sunset dates for new installations.
- CLWSD Advisory Rep. Update: There was no update.
- Reserve Funds Review: The Board reviewed the report prioritizing reserve fund increases and establishing goals to bring balances closer to the amounts recommended by Financial Advisor Carl Brown. The report will be reviewed on a regular basis.
- New Customer Billing: The Board agreed that the Certification of Compliance from St. Louis County must be received prior to billing customers with new ISTS’s.
- ISTS Contractor List: Anderson reported to the Clerk that he had contacted local contractors for interested in bidding on ISTS installations in the District. Two contractors were identified in the Crane Lake/Buyck area and one outside that area. The Board previously approved working with contractors in the Crane Lake/Buyck area and has not changed that position.
- ISTS Bids: The Board discussed the bidding requirements for the District provided by Fryberger, Buchanan. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to adopt Resolution No. 2017-01 – Adopting a Policy on Selection of Lowest Responsible Bidder. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: The meeting was held on January 25, 2017 in Cook.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: The Board agreed to send a letter to the District advising that the Comprehensive Plan would be revised to include Kicker Boulevard and that the CLWSD would serve that area. The next step would be to have Fryberger, Buchanan move forward with the annexation process.
- State & Federal Grant Funding: The District received an additional legacy grant in 2016. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to designate the most recent legacy grant of $60,000 towards the Kicker Blvd. annexation process. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Jason Chopp and B. Congdon continue to work on a list of future projects for grant funding.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – February 1, 2017
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Handberg Road Project (Phase II): Jason Chopp provided costs and feasibilities for Handberg Road and Rocky Road for Board consideration. Upon Board decision of the direction they would like to pursue, S.E.H. could provide a draft feasibility report within four weeks. Public meetings would follow with possible construction to begin in early summer. Notice would be sent to affected parties.
- Voyagaire Houseboat Station: The Board discussed the option of installing a 2,500 gallon double compartment tank with a washable filter at VHB. Ron Rutchasky will be requested to provide a price quote for the project to be sent to the MPCA for grant reimbursement approval.
- Plant Valve: There was continued discussion about the butterfly valve at the plant that must be manually operated during high flow periods. Udovich Electric will review the plant valve to see if some wiring changes would allow the valve to operate while open at 50% or 75% rather than just off or on.
- Mobile Generator: Jason will see if a third pump could be installed at the Lift Station to be used during high flow periods only. Udovich Electric will be asked to review that option while here to review the plant valve issue.
O & M Update (Decentralized)
- CLWSD Initial Site Survey: S.E.H. is working on a site survey for Jim Orton to inspect properties for compliance throughout the decentralized portion of the District. A customer list has been overlaid with a map with continued work needed.
- Management Program Update: The Board reviewed the status of ISTS installations in the Decentralized area of the District. Information will be sent to contractors to bid on the four properties that the County has approved for construction. Orton Construction will be visiting properties in the spring for feasibility.
- ISTS Operations and Maintenance Program Establishment: B. Beste provided initial information to establish a system to check ISTS’s on an annual basis. It was suggested that Rollie Mann of the Ottertail Sewer Management Program be contacted for possible application of their maintenance program to ours. B. Beste and J. Pohlman will work on the project.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that the plant maintained effluent limitations during January. He reported that the District will be receiving an award for excellence of service from the MPCA for last year’s treatment plant operations to be presented at the MPCA Wastewater Operations Conference in March that Terry will attend. A switch has been made to alternating sand filter zone valves, providing a rest for the four zones that have been being used. Terry has asked the MPCA to review the holding tank treatment used by Voyagaire in their houseboats to see if it has any impact on settling characteristics of sludge at the plant.
- Centralized Program Update: The Board reviewed the status of hook-up requests.
- Eyewash & Shower Head: There was no new information.
- MPCA Permit and Bio-Solids Options: Terry has sent in the application for the permit renewal with land spreading of bio-solids being included.
- Manpower: Lance is signed up for the Sacramento State Correspondence Course. Nikki has completed the course. Both Lance and Nikki have been provided with information on registering for the March MPCA conference to attend the refresher class prior to taking the test for Class C Operators.
- Both Terry and Jason Chopp advised the Board of the MPCA’s proposed approach to revising the water quality standard that protects wild rice from the adverse impact s of sulfate.
- Terry agreed to contract with the District for another year and requested an In Reach portable tracking and emergency locator for his transit to and from home to Crane Lake.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – MARCH 1, 2017 – 2:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.