CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
March 2, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:35P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Mark Anderson
Also present: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Jim & Kim Orton of Orton Construction, E.S.A. Representative John Connaker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and 2 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott stated that the Management System would be discussed, some people were unable to attend the meeting due to work completion prior to the road bans, and that the District would be receiving an MPCA Award for plant operations in 2015.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of February 3, 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. February 2016 payroll expenses: Admin – $567.79; Operating – $1,967.44. 2014 Audit entries have been made to the District books. A savings account has been opened for IRRRB grant money in the amount of $175,000. Money will be moved back to the checking account as needed. The first Legacy Grant reimbursement has been received and the second reimbursement request has been submitted. The January 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $2,000.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $501.46; Glorvigen – $224.00; and Quill – $53.23. ESA IRRRB Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,117.00 and S.E.H. – $1,112.00. ESA Legacy Fund – Northeast Title Co. – $75.00. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,217.84, $130.16, $158.99, $81.06, $208.00 & $66.00; Pace Analytical – $156.00; Udovich Electric – $138.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,643.20. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Verbal approval for Orton Construction in the amount of $8,550.00 for Handberg Road Extension work was granted and added to the list of bills to be paid.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to transfer $2,000.00 from the Checking Base/Volume Charge Fund to S.A.R. Savings and $2,000.00 from the Checking Base/Volume Charge Fund to C.R. Savings. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to adopt the changes to Ordinance 1 and 3 as recommended by Fryberger law firm. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Advisory Representative Update: There was no update.
- 2016 User Fee Update: A few changes have been made to customer user fees. A reconnection fee of $100 will be charged to the new owners of the Hoff property and base charges will begin in April with user fees beginning upon grinder start up.
- DNR Agreements: The agreement for the Public Water Access on Bayside Drive is in order with the hut remaining in the future. Discussion in ongoing with the DNR on bill payment procedure for the newly installed tank at the DNR Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road.
- Contract Updates: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to approve and sign the Agreement between Rutchasky Enterprises and the CLWSD for 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, to approve and sign the Agreement between the CLWSD and Orton Construction and Consulting, LLC for a Community Assessment Report for Handberg Road with time line dates as noted for 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – March 2, 2016
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott was unable to attend the last meeting. The US Army Corps of Engineers committed $4.5 million to the Island View Sanitary Sewer Project. Work should begin this summer. Preconstruction work is beginning in Kabetogama.
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges explained to the Board that Phase 1 of the Handberg Road Extension must be completed and the Handberg Road CAR recommendations must be known before the PFA Funding agency would approve any work in Phase 2. Phase 1 and the CAR will be fully completed when the frost is out of the ground, perhaps in May. The remaining CAR work involves soil tests. The basic work has been completed and a preliminary report will be submitted by Orton Construction prior to the April meeting. Randy will submit that information to the PFA to expedite the process of funding approval for future work on Handberg Road. The Board is considering extending the pipe for sewer service down Rocky Road. Randy will provide cost estimates and preliminary plans to the Board at the April meeting. Randy provided County spreadsheets depicting the frozen soil profile for 2014, 2015 and 2016 to date in the Orr area. It would be beneficial for the District to tract the frozen soil profile each winter for a better understanding of the profile in Crane Lake. Temperatures will be tracked at both the plant and the lift station in the future.
- ISTS Management Projects Update (U of M): See above references to the CAR. The USFS will be sending a letter to East Bay residents regarding future sewer service. The District will provide a letter to East Bay residents following the USFS letter. Annexation of the Kicker Blvd. area is being considered as there have been requests for sewer service from that area. R. Scott will approach the JPB with this information.
- Funding: Mia Thibodeau of Fryberger provided documentation that the PFA/MMB requires as part of the District receiving state bonding funds. She requested that a letter to the MMB be signed and forwarded to her to be sent to the MMB, which has been done. The Real Property Declaration will be signed after hearing back from the MMB. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to approve signature of the Declaration documents upon recommendation of the Fryberger law firm. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- ESA Sewer Requests: There have been requests from Tom Partridge near Rocky Road and Bill Traff on Bear Island. The paper work for the Niemeyer property near Johnson Lake has been completed which will allow mobilization for work to begin in the spring.
- Insurance Claim Status: The adjuster will review the work at the Stahnke property this week prior to claim approval.
- Corrective Action Plan: Water infusion continues.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson’s report stated that all laboratory results were not complete for February but he felt all effluent limitations were maintained during the month. Little chemical adjustment was needed in February.
- A relay was replaced for the primary clarifier scraper. Ron Rutchasky advised that the computer board is malfunctioning and a replacement board would cost around $8,000. This will be monitored.
- Training: The Board agreed that Nikki Rutchasky should take the MPCA 3-day Type IV Basic Land Application training session for $300.00.
- The above mentioned MPCA award ceremony and certificate presentation will be part of the 79th Annual Wastewater Conference, which Terry will be attending.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – APRIL 6, 2016 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.