CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
June 1, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:35P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, and Rob Scott. Mark Anderson arrived during correspondence.
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: E.S.A. Representative John Connaker, Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and 3 members of the community. Ron Rutchasky of Rutchasky Enterprises arrived near 8PM.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of May 4, 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The April 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. May 2016 payroll expenses: Admin – $771.75; Operating – $2,595.61. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,237.60 and Glorgiven – $280.00. Capital Reserve Fund: Rutchasky Ent. – $8,831.83. ESA IRRRB Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,125.90; Rutchasky Ent. – $3,291.75 and S.E.H. – $267.41. ESA Legacy Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $48.50. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,083.55, $130.15, $237.83, $77.66, $195.00 & $55.00; Citi-Lites – $93.00; Gopher State One Call – $5.80; MPCA – $505.00; Pace Analytical – $296.00; Rutchasky Ent. – $2,661.34; Udovich Electric – $1,827.29; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,717.27. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to transfer $2,000 from the Base/Volume Fund to the Capital Reserve Savings and $2,000 from the Base/Volume Fund to the Special Assessment Reserve Savings. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): Updated copies of Ordinance 1 and Ordinance 3 were received from Fryberger, Buchanan and have been signed.
- DNR Agreements: The agreement for the Public Water Access on Bayside Drive is in order with the hut remaining in the future. Discussion in ongoing with the DNR on bill payment procedure for the newly installed tank at the DNR Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road.
- Advisory Representative Update: John Connaker reported that things are pretty quiet. A couple from Handberg Road asked when Jim Orton would be returning to complete the review of their property.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that the group met in April and will meet again this month. The meetings will again rotate this summer with one being held at each location – Crane Lake, Ash River, Kabetogama and Island View. 2 million of the original 6.5 million dollar State Bonding was approved by Legislature with the majority of that going to Island View. Kabetogama’s treatment plant should be operational by fall. Rob will discuss the East Bay management program and the Kicker Boulevard annexation with the group at the June meeting.
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges joined the meeting via telephone. There is a contract with Rutchasky Enterprises to provide service at Handberg’s Marine. Change Order #1 – revising service from a grinder station to gravity and reducing the Handberg Marine project cost by $7,190.00 – was presented to the Board. The Change Order also extended the contract time to the end of September. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, to approve Change Order #1. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Sanborn easement is in the process of being signed and will be registered by Fryberger, Buchanan. There are three remaining items on the Punch List that should be completed within the next two weeks. Dan Shannon of S.E.H. will be asked to do a walk-through with a Board Member prior to final payment. Randy attended a Clean Waters Legacy Board Meeting, as did Gary Cerkvenik and Rob Ecklund,
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – June 1, 2016
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project (Cont.)
They were asked about use of the funds on the Crane Lake project. Their response was well received. There is hope for future funds from the Legacy Board.
- Handberg Road CAR (U of M): Jim Orton joined the meeting via telephone. He stated that he is presently putting the pieces together for the Handberg Road report to be presented to the Board and Sara Heger of the U of M within the next 10 days. The Board discussed with Randy the option of providing interim service to property owners wishing service prior to completion of the CAR. Approval from St. Louis County would be required. The CAR needs to be finalized to continue with Phase II of the project.
- ESA Sewer Requests: There have been requests & interest in ISTS systems.
- Corrective Action Plan: The corrective action plan is in place and seems to be successful.
- Water Infusion: Past grinder readings will be reviewed to assist in determining if infusion from other properties will be necessary during the winter months.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that the lab results for samples collected from the effluent of the WWTP were within limitations for the month. Chemicals were adjusted to optimize settling of solids.
- Nikki Rutchasky should be ready to take the exams to be a Waste Water Class C Operator by the end of the year.
- Bio-Solids Options: Options were discussed by the Board. Terry Jackson and Ron Rutchasky will research options and report to the Board.
- Terry and Ron updated the Board on the state of the plant and collection system, including grinder replacements and purchase of new grinders for future replacement.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were no comments.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – JULY 6, 2016 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.