CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
June 5, 2013 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, & Rob Scott
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: Randy Jenniges and Greg Kimman of S.E.H., Inc., Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and two members of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of May 1, 2013. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. April 2013 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $540.00 and Operations – $2,322.14. $2,000 was transferred from the Operating Fund to Capital Reserve Savings. The April 2013 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Lutefisk Tech. – $1,598.21; Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,782.00; Glorvigen – $135.00; IRS – $247.35; Shirley Sanborn – $105.09; and S.E.H. – $130.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $947.33, $101.53, $65.74, $89.03 & $162.00; Aqua-Pure – $4,255.00; Citi-Lites – $100.00; Gopher State One Call – $5.80; Pace Analytical – $296.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,675.17. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- Budget Forecast: The budget will be reviewed after funding is determined for expansions.
- Ordinance Review: B. Beste and B. Congdon continue to work on the Ordinance 3 update.
- Carl Brown Proposal: Carl Brown’s Sewer Rate Analysis and Connection Fee Calculations will be referenced when funding becomes available for the expansions.
- Sewer System Management: The Board discussed management options.
- St. Louis County Ongoing Items:
Handberg Road ISTS Systems: The County has provided the information necessary for the Handberg Road Expansion.
Cost Overrun Support: The CountyCommissioners are considering.
Property Transfers in CLWSD: There was no new input.
- RLK Arbitration: The Honorable Charles Flinn has been selected as the arbitration judge. Stephanie Ball of Fryberger, Buchanan has contacted him as to availability for arbitration.
- JPB Update – Funding is focused on five different areas. The State Bonding bill was approved but requires a super majority vote, so the funding did not carry, but will be considered next year. $300,000 was approved for a facility at the DNR landing on Handberg Road. These funds are for exclusive use by the DNR; the District will work with the DNR. Taconite Tax funds of $660,000 will be available to the District in August and will be used as matching funds as required by the State Bonding. 1.5 million was allotted to the District by the Clean Water Legacy Fund which requires 25% matching funds. Funds may be used for capital improvement and engineering services and not for operation or administration. USDA-RD funds will also be considered. The 1.875 million approved for the District must be used for a collection system on Bear Island; the District will focus on that area along with the Handberg Road expansion.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – June 5, 2013
- Randy Jenniges and Greg Kimman reviewed the S.E.H. packet that was prepared with the Handberg Road Expansion as the main focus. The Board asked S.E.H. to prepare a similar packet to address expansion in the Bear Island area. Options were discussed. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the preparation of a feasibility study by S.E.H. for Bear Island. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- CSAH 24 Easements: One easement remains to be signed.
- Grinder Capacity Review: The grinder capacity matrix was reviewed and updated information was added. The new pump for the Driggs property has been ordered.
- Voyageur Lakes Development: There was further discussion with Mr. Braaten, the Board and Randy. Randy suggested that Voyageur Lakes Development petition the District for the project to begin the process for Board action.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report stating that all effluent limitations were maintained during the month of May.
- Repairs to the ABS recirculation pump should be completed soon. Warranty will be reviewed.
- Two new grinder pumps have been ordered and should be delivered soon.
- Propane Generator Rental: The generator for the main lift station needs to be wired and a propane tank needs to be on site. Range Electric will be contacted to complete the setup.
- A faulty thermostat was found during routine inspection of the generator. A new one will be installed this week.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Jerry Cornell of East Bay stated that he had been attending meetings of and on since Jim Sanborn was the Chairman. He appreciates the work the Board is doing.
The meeting was adjourned at 9.30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JULY 10, 2013, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.