CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
July 13, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:40P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon and Darrell Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, and 3 members of the community. Ron Rutchasky of Rutchasky Enterprises arrived near 8PM.
OPENING COMMENTS: Chairman Rob Scott stated that the present Board Managers would run through the administrative items of the agenda and call Bruce Beste to attend the meeting via telephone to provide a quorum to pass any necessary motions.
Minutes: Will approve at end of meeting.
Correspondence: Will approve at end of meeting.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The May 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. June 2016 payroll expenses: Admin – $1,014.30; Operating – $3,556.63. May 2016 Tax Apportionment Funds were received – Admin $31,938.88 and Special Assessment – $25,422.80. The SAR amount will be transferred to SAR Savings. Bills for payment are: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; CL Chapel – $250.00; Frontier – $100.24; Lutefisk Tech. – $275.40; and RVS – $291.00. ESA IRRRB Fund: Rutchasky Ent. – $2,762.00. ESA Legacy Fund: Orton Construction – $650.00 and St. Louis County – $520.00. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $552.33; $126.13; $69.13; $45.10; $46.00; & $50.00; Anderson Outfitters – $554.09; Aqua-Pure – $490.00; Citi-Lites – $267.00; Randy Clemmer – $150.00; Frontier – $177.00; Gopher State One Call – $8.10; Menards – $201.49; Pace Analytical – $436.00; Sunrise Construction – $600.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,636.00. Report & bill payment will be approved at the end of the meeting.
Fund Transfers: Will approve at end of meeting.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): Adjustments may be made to the ISTS Management Agreement; which, in turn would require an adjustment to the Ordinances.
- DNR Agreements: Discussion is ongoing with the DNR on bill payment procedure for the newly installed tank at the DNR Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road.
- Advisory Representative Update: John Connaker was not present to report.
- Insurance Liability Coverage Waiver Form: Will approve at end of meeting.
- High Electrical Readings: J. Pohlman presented her record of high electrical expense during the period when water was infused into the sewer system from her property to prevent freezing during the winter of 2014/2015. Electric bills were above expected by approximately $100 per month. A refund was requested and will be addressed at the end of the meeting.
- East Bay: USFS District Ranger Andrew Johnson sent a letter to the East Bay Special Use Permit Holders informing them of the CLWSD voluntary management program and advising that they may participate in the program through a Secial Use Permit. Additional information will be sent by the District in the future.JPB Update
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that Island View is running short of funds. The Board will focus on funding for them. The Kabetogama treatment plant should be operational by fall. Annexation of the Kicker Boulevard area continues to be discussed and will need St. Louis County approval.
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges was unavailable via telephone. Work has begun at Handberg’s Marina to provide service. The final walk through for Punch List items will be arranged with Dan Shannon of S.E.H. M. Anderson plans to participate in the walk through. Signature of a Real Property Declaration for the Sanborn Easement will be approved at the end of the meeting.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 13, 2016
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project (Cont.)
- Handberg Road CAR (U of M): The documents of the CAR are being completed by Jim Orton of Orton Construction and have been sent to Sara Heger of the U of M. They are being reviewed by the U of M.
- Sewer Requests: Ferfon’s have requested to connect a cabin on their property to the system in the WSA. There has been a request by Charles Gerlach to be included in the ISTS Management System; however, his property is outside of the District.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that the plant discharge met regulatory requirements during June, although it is becoming difficult during the warm months due to intermittent flow and dense solids. The Board discussed various options to resolve the problem with solids received from houseboats.
- A temperature gauge has been installed at the plant and another will be installed at the lift station.
- The plant continues to flood when there is heavy rain.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were no comments.
Manager B. Beste joined the meeting via telephone at 8:25PM to provide a quorum to participate in the following motions:
A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of June 1, 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to transfer $2,000 from the Base/Volume Fund to the Capital Reserve Savings and $2,000 from the Base/Volume Fund to the Special Assessment Reserve Savings. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, stating that the District DOES NOT WAIVE the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by Minnesota Statutes Section 466.04. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve reimbursement to Jo Ann Pohlman for excessive electric bill payments during the winter months of 2014/2015 in the amount of $497. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to sign the Real Property Declaration for the easement on the Sanborn property. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – AUGUST 3, 2016 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.