CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
August 3, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:40P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon and Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson and Darrell Scott
Also present: Dave Gustafson of the U of M, Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 5 members of the community.
OPENING COMMENTS: Chairman Rob Scott stated that the order of the meeting would be changed to accommodate U of M representative Dave Gustafson’s availability for questions related to the previous Handberg Road CAR Public Meeting. Terry Jackson’s O & M Update would follow as the first item of regular business.
- Congdon asked Dave Gustafson if the substance of the CAR needed to change or if the requirement was essentially cleaning up of the document. Dave responded that the individual life cycle cost for each partial needed to be stated, rather than a number encompassing all. The actual CAR results would not change.
- Scott asked if the U of M had done a CAR within a district with a collection, treatment and fee structure already in place. The response was that the U of M had done CAR’s in sewer districts without collection or treatment systems.
What is the process for non-compliant and non-conforming properties? Dave Gustafson responded that local ordinance lays out the plan, usually be referring to County or State ordinances as the guideline to follow.
A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to accept the CAR with three points: 1) Copies for individuals with their specific property information be provided, 2) Mr. Orton talks to property owners that request further communication, and 3) details on 20 year life cycle costs be included. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that he felt all effluent limitations passed for the month and is waiting for final results.
- The well at the plant went dry and was hydro-fract and a new pressure tank and switch were installed.
- Problems with solids settling at the plant continue. Extra rain water helped by diluting the density of the organic and solids loading. Flow to the plant seems to be down this year.
- Terry suggested the introduction of water to the collection system during August to see if that would dilute the heavy concentration of organic material and solids. Water will be run from the infuser at the Public Water Access on Bayside Drive.
- B. Beste suggested that Nikki Rutchasky participate in the monthly reports and meetings to further her education.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve the minutes of the 7/13/16 Board of Manager’s Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The June 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. July 2016 payroll expenses including payroll taxes: Admin – $2,058.37; Operating – $5,910.77. The 2nd quarter QuickBooks entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. The audit is in the works. Bills for payment are: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $615.98; $141.00; $66.19; $45.10; $46.00; & $54.00; Citi-Lites – $124.00; Randy Clemmer – $150.00; Gopher State One Call – $8.10; Grand Rapids Public Utilities – $1,284.15; Kolstad-Olson Drilling – $6,046.39; Mountain & Co. – $1,920.00; Pace Analytical – $156.00; Jo Ann Pohlman – $497.00; Rutchasky Enterprises – $1,097.50; Sertich Plumbing – $799.37; Udovich Electric – $1,912.75; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,328.80. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: No transfers were approved.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – August 3, 2016
- O&M Bill Payment: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R Scott, to expand payment of bills related to the management program as they are presented to expedite expansion and grant reimbursement. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Ordinance: Residential use descriptions were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to amend Ordinance 3, Table 2 to include Single Family Residence (SFR) with cabin with bathroom at .5 EDU. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- ISTS Management Documents: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to revise the ISTS Construction and Managed System Agreement and the Managed ISTS System Procedures documents with changes requested by St. Louis County – removing disconnect upon non-payment and applying delinquent accounts as a lien on property taxes. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Advisory Representative Update: John Connaker referred to the letter received by East Bay Special Use Permit Holders from the USFS informing them of the CLWSD voluntary management program and advising that they may participate in the program. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to provide a District letter to East Bay Special Use Permit Holders describing the option to become part of the managed portion of the District. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board discussed sending a District wide letter offering sewer service at the current cost of $7,500 plus application fee of $350 and a monthly fee.
- Notary Renewal: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, to renew notary status for Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- RD Limited English Proficiency (LEP): No action was taken at this time on the Limited English Proficiency Assessment & Language Access Plan Certification required by Rural Development. The Board will review.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that Ash River held their first official meeting.
S.E.H. gave a presentation of sewer district concepts.
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges was unavailable via telephone. Prior to punch list approval, the issues at the lift station at the DNR Public Access on Handberg Road will need to be addressed.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Brent Bystrom asked how costs to revisit properties by Mr. Orton would be covered. The Board felt the costs would be included in the reimbursement program. Brent asked if the Board felt there was a conflict of interest with the same person doing the CAR inspections and the ISTS design. The Board did not feel there was a conflict.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – SEPTEMBER 7, 2016 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.