CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
February 1, 2012 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott. Manager Bruce Beste participated in the meeting via telephone through the JPB Update.
Members absent: None
Also present: Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne Jackson, Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott told those present that Board conduct would be discussed before the meeting began and election of officers would follow. The planned Closed Meeting following this meeting was cancelled.
Board Conduct: Chairman Scott stated that the Agenda would be sent to all Board members for input prior to posting. He also reviewed motion procedure.
Election of Officers: B. Congdon nominated R. Scott as Chairman. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that Rob Scott remain as Chairman, Bill Congdon remain as Vice-Chairman and Jo Ann Pohlman remain as Clerk/Treasurer. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of January 4, 2012. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. December 2011 Tax Apportionment money was received: $390.59 Levy, $6.95 Special Assessment Revenue. $1,500.00 reimbursement was received from the League of MN Cities Trust for Lift Station Explosion Claim 2. January 2012 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $729.99 and Operations – $1,688.00. The 4th quarter 2011 QuickBooks entries were reviewed by Jennifer of Glorvigen. The December 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00 and Fryberger, Buchanan – $744.25. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,187.85, $60.12, $74.56 & $25.00; Canoe Country Electric – $1,585.00; Ferguson Enterprises – $1,439.84; Gopher State One Call – $100.00; Hawkins – $1,265.48; Pace Analytical – $280.00; Teledyne – $289.55; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,228.12. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of the following: St. Louis County-Public Works Dept – $4,477.43; S.E.H. – $3,083.00 & $2,360.20; and Rutchasky Enterprises – $3,566.25.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
Bank Signatures: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve Board member signatures for the checking and savings accounts at American Bank. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Employee Pay Schedule & Salaries: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to pay employees twice a month and to increase Lance Ulen’s pay rate from $15.00 per hour to $18.00 per hour. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim 1 & Claim 2: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve signature of the Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss closing out Lift Station Explosion Claim 1 and to approve signature of the Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss, when received, closing out Lift Station Explosion Claim 2 when all reimbursement is received. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – February 1, 2012
- T. Jackson Contract Renewal: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve renewal of the Contract Agreement Between Wastewater Treatment Operator (Terry Jackson) and Crane Lake Water and Sanitary District for the year 2012 at the same rate as 2011. In addition, Terry Jackson may make purchases up to $500 per occurrence for the District. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Costin Group Contract Renewal: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to renew the Consultant Agreement with Costin Group, Inc. for 2012 at the same rate as 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Mediation with USA: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H, District Chairman Rob Scott, and Jim Pucel of USA met on January 19th to discuss USA’s final pay request. The parties present agreed upon $15,000. An over payment by the District of $3,729.39 was discovered. Negotiation continues.
- Mediation with RLK: Stephanie Ball of Fryberger, Buchanan plans to submit our claim to RLK by the end of the week. RLK will then have 30 days to review. If mediation is needed, it would occur in March or April.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: There was no quorum for the January meeting. R. Scott plans to address expansion on the Handberg Road and the DNR’s involvement as it relates to the public access at the February meeting. The DNR involvement at Wooden Frog campground at Puck’s Point and at Water’s Edge will also be addressed.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: The release of the anticipated report will be delayed until March or April.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: Heat tape installation has not been completed, but is anticipated by the end of the week. The Board is holding payment to Rutchasky Enterprises pending clarification on why the project took so long. When clarification is received, the Board will determine how best to proceed. Related expenses incurred by the District will be considered.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. emailed his report and joined the meeting via telephone.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: The Board discussed the final pay application for USA. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to reject Pay Application #5 previously approved in October; approve Change Order #4 for placement of class 5 gravel on driveways as part of project for $750.00; approve Change Order #5 for service call by USA for $1,621.27; and approve revised Pay Application #5 Final for $11,270.61. A check will be provided to USA upon receipt of completed and required paperwork to close out project. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Easements: The easements were rejected by the County. R. Jenniges has revised and is resubmitting them to the County to be recorded.
- Handberg Road Expansion: The DNR is identified as impacting the VNP comprehensive plan in two areas in Crane Lake. The District is obligated to protect their revenue stream and is currently communicating with Sen. Bakk and Rep. Dill to mitigate any losses the District may incur due to changes at Water’s Edge Campground. The District will request the DNR’s support in extending to the public landing on Handberg Road. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, authorizing the Board to submit an application to the USDA for 1.75 million dollars in funding for the Handberg Road Expansion. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reviewed his report. All effluent limitations were met during the month of January.
- Repairs: The motor starter for effluent pump #1 was replaced. A new switch will be installed for the effluent sampler.
- NPDES/SDS Permit: T. Jackson will complete and submit the renewal application to the MPCA by March 1st.
- Culvert Heat Tapes: Ron Rutchasky & Lance installed the saddles and plastic pipe inside the culvert. Delivery of the tape is expected this week and installation will occur soon thereafter. Insulation was wrapped around the pipe and foam was sprayed into the manholes.
- Lift Station Annual Calibration: The District will do this.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – February 1, 2012
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: MARCH 7, 2012, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.