CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
June 6, 2012 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:35P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon & Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson & Darrell Scott
Also present: Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott stated that there would be a closed meeting following the regular meeting regarding the mediation process with RLK.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of May 2, 2012. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. May 2012 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $834.98 and Operations – $2,352.50. The April 2012 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Cook News-Herald – $2.70; Costin Group – $1,101.15; Glorvigen – $195.00 and Quill – $213.78. Operations: Lake Country Power – $996.84, $60.12, $53.21, $85.61 & $25.00; Canoe Country Electric – $322.50; Citi-Lites – $25.00; Dennis Corcoran – $100.00; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; Hawkins – $2,505.82; Pace Analytical – $280.00; Jim Pohlman – $504.65; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,207.20. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Early Tax Distribution: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to not receive an early tax distribution. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to transfer $4,000 to S.A.R Savings and $2,000 to C.R. Savings from the Operating Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
USDA-RD Debt Service and Forecast Revenues/Expenses: The District will continue discussion with USDA-RD.
Forecast Revenues: R. Scott and J. Pohlman will review the forecast prior to the July meeting.
- Culvert Letter: This item is moved to JPB Update.
- Driggs Information Request: The Driggs family has requested, via telephone, information on the expense of adding from 2 to 4 RV’s to their property. The Board asks that the Drigg’s provide a formal inquiry in writing. In the meantime, the District maintenance workers will look at the size of the grinder tank currently at their property to determine if an additional grinder would be needed.
- Mediation with RLK: A mediation date has been set for June 13, 2012 at the Fryberger, Buchanan office at 9A.M. There was a telephone pre-meeting with council on June 4th.
- VLD Letter: A response was received by the District from VLD’s attorney. Mia Thibodeau, of Fryberger, Buchanan provided a draft response to VLD’s attorney for Board approval. The Board agreed that the letter should be sent.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – June 6, 2012
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: A meeting was held on May 9th. VNP Superintendent Mike Ward has now committed to the project. The JPB is putting a funding package together. R. Scott requested funds for excess culvert expenses and expansion overrun costs. Both St. Louisand Koochiching Counties will be adding the JPB to their budgets as a line item. Four point papers were presented to Tim Olson of Chip Cravaack’s office at the Town Hall Meeting on 4/28/12 addressing USDA-RD loan debt relief, funding support for the Water Resources Development Act (WARDA) FY14, JPB Planning and engineering support funds, and a Crane Lake VNP community presence. Garth VanMeter is the point of contact concerning these issues. Currently Chip Cravaack does not support the WARDA bill; however, the other senators do. The JPB agreed to meet on a quarterly, rather than monthly basis.
- Culvert Letter: A letter was written by Terry Jackson to the County regarding the depth of the lines by the culvert. He feels that the County should cover all of the District expenses in putting in the heat tape.
- Grant Request for Engineering Services: S.E.H. has applied for a grant for engineering services.
- Randy Jenniges is on vacation and did not attend the meeting.
- Easements: There was no report.
- Handberg Road Expansion: There was no report.
- DNR Landing & DNR RV Campground: A letter was sent to Mr. Kelling and Mr. Porter of the DNR outlining the District’s concern of revenue loss with the proposed campground purchase. The District also inquired of the DNR’s participation with the Handberg Road Expansion at their public landing on Handberg Road.
- Grinder Tank Hook-Up: The District has been working with Dr. Dinter to add another cabin to his grinder tank system by tapping directly into the tank. S.E.H. has provided their approval and Rutchasky Enterprises will do the work.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report.
- All of the lab results for May were not available; however, preliminary results indicate effluent limitations were maintained.
- The plant is converted to summer mode. All eight recirculation zones are now in service and polymer addition has been initiated.
- Dinter Grinder Station: The parts needed for the connection have been ordered. The parts and installation are in accord with the recommendation set forth by S.E.H. T. Jackson will inspect the final installation and take pictures for the District’s records. There will be no expense to the District.
- NPDES/SDS Permit: A draft copy of the MPCA permit has been received. The District will now monitor total sulfate in the discharge for MPCA evaluation purposes for a two year period. A lot of attention was also applied to phosphorus standards and monitoring.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JULY 11, 2012, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.