CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
March 7, 2012 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: None
Also present: Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne Jackson, Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald and two members of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of February 1, 2012. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. Fund adjustments were made moving $6,435.00 in paid S.E.H. invoices from the ESA Fund to the Operating Fund; increasing the ESA Fund by that amount and conversely decreasing the Operating Fund. The MPCA Wastewater Infrastructure Fund (WIF) is requiring the District to keep a separate fund designated as WIF System Replacement Funds. The District Capital Reserve Fund will be divided as required by the MPCA. February 2012 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $681.98 and Operations – $2,230.99. The January 2012 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,455.30; Fryberger, Buchanan – $518.40 & 756.00; Glorvigen – $187.50; League of MN Cities Trust – $12.00 and Quill – $165.15. ESA: S.E.H. – $4,144.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,348.17, $60.12, $83.62 & $25.00; Hawkins – $852.87; League of MN Cities Trust – $129.00; Pace Analytical – $420.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,519.19 & $463.07. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of Rutchasky Enterprises invoice for $3,566.25.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
USDA-RD Letter: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, approving the draft letter to the USDA-RD inviting a representative from Rural Development to attend the April meeting for discussion purposes. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Forecast Revenues: A spreadsheet showing current and projected revenues, expenses and EDU’s for the District was presented to the Board for future discussions.
Rutchasky Enterprises Invoice: The Board will communicate with Ron Rutchasky about attending the April meeting to discuss the invoice submitted by Rutchasky Enterprises for culvert work.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim 2: The insurance claim has been closed out. Allied Adjusters will not need the Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss for this claim.
- Mediation with RLK: The District’s claim was submitted to RLK one month ago. RLK has had 30 days to review the claim. The District is waiting to hear from Fryberger, Buchanan with RLK’s response.
- VLD Letter: A letter was sent to Voyageur Lakes Development’s attorney responding to EDU questions.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: There was a February meeting. The County representatives will present S.E.H.’s proposal for continued engineer consultation work to the County Commissioners. Rob Scott will discuss cost overruns for the CSAH 24 Extension at the March meeting.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: The release of the anticipated report will be delayed until April.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – March 7, 2012
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: The culvert project has been completed and invoices have been submitted to St. Louis County for reimbursement consideration.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. emailed his report and joined the meeting via telephone.
- Easements: There are a few outstanding easements which should be completed soon.
- Handberg Road Expansion: Randy recommended that the District consider the Technical Assistance Grant Program with the Public Facilities Authority (PFA) as a funding source for engineering reports and environmental services for future expansion. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to adopt Resolution # 2012-01 authorizing the CLWSD to submit a small community wastewater treatment program technical assistance grant application to the MN PFA. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Engineering Contract: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to sign an Agreement for Professional Services with Short Elliott Hendrickson, Inc. for general engineering services for non-project related work on an as needed basis. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- DNR Letter: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, approving the draft letter to the DNR addressing the District’s concerns with the purchase of Water’s Edge RV Park by the DNR. B. Congdon, B. Beste, D. Scott and R. Scott voted in favor, M. Anderson abstained and the motion carried.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reviewed his report.
- Total Suspended Solids: There was difficulty in maintaining the Total Suspended Solids (TSS) standards at the plant in February. T. Jackson is experimenting with the chemicals to arrive at the proper balance. He has been in contact with the MPCA, keeping them informed of the situation.
- NPDES/SDS Permit: The NPDES/SDS Permit re-issuance application was completed and submitted to the MPCA for approval. It is currently under review.
- Generator Maintenance: The District will contract with Ziegler Cat to perform routine preventive maintenance on the emergency power system.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: APRIL 4, 2012, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.