CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
November 2, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Bill Congdon.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and one member of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of October 5, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. October 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $817.00 and Operations – $2,341.99. The 2010 Audit adjustments were made to the District books. The third quarter entries in Quick Books were reviewed by Jennifer of Glorvigen. The September 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $2,000.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $362.25 & $994.50; Glorvigen – $5,010.42; Terrie Hoff – $319.56; LMCIT – $1,143.00 & $78.30 and RVS – $65.03. Insurance Claim: Bill Congdon – $345.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $529.93, $60.12, $24.05 & $24.05; Jason Anderson – $150.00; Brandau Plumbing – $168.08; Canoe Country Electric – $405.00; Citi Lites – $50.00; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; LMCIT – $3,552.00 & $791.70; Nelson’s Resort – $23.50; Pace Analytical – $376.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,217.31. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of the following: St. Louis County-Public Works Dept – $4,477.43; S.E.H. – $3,083.00; USA – $1,816.00.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
Rate Schedule: B. Beste and J. Pohlman will meet throughout the month of November to compile information to present to the Board for consideration of a rate increase at the December meeting.
ESA Hook-ups: The Board discussed the 90-day time limit for hook-up to the sewer system along the CSAH 24 Extension. An interim plan is being considered for those properties under construction. A decision will be made at the December meeting.
Survey: Survey letters were sent to WSA and ESA customers with the September billing and a second request was sent to those that did not respond with the October billing. A third request will be sent with the November billing. Terry Jackson will present a report at the December meeting of the on-site survey being conducted.
- Portage Maintenance Support Contract: Fryberger, Buchanan provided a draft contract for review.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim: Terry Jackson will be sending some additional claims to Allied Adjusters.
- A letter from Lance Ulen requesting a pay increase will be reviewed in January along with other District policies, as is customary.
- Mediation: December is targeted for the Mediation process.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – November 2, 2011
- VNP Clean Waters Project: R. Scott will address the interest owed to USA for late payments due to the District’s late receipt of grant funds with the JPB board. Gary Cerkvenik is working on bonding legislation for further expansion in the ESA.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: There will probably be no report until spring.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: Manholes were placed at either end of the north sidewalk crossing the culvert. The County has completed their paving work. District invoices for the sewer upgrades will be presented to the County. R. Jenniges of S.E.H. will expedite installation of the heat tapes and insulation of the manholes.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of October. The combination of aluminum sulfate, polymer, and soda ash seems to be working well.
- Sludge is being removed and disposed of from the plant. Winterization of the plant continues.
- A valve wrench was ordered for the new grinder stations. The pump was removed from the lift station at Pine Ridge Motel and will be sent to E-One for repair.
- A circuit board is being replaced in the automatic influent sampler.
- Jim, Lance, and Terry met with Randy of S.E.H. to review plans and photos of the new grinder stations to insure proper initiation of the grinders when placed into service.
- A complete site survey of the residential lift stations will be completed in November.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. was telephoned to participate in this portion of the meeting.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: USA feels the punch list is completed. There is still concern about the ditching at the Holt property. Mr. Holt completed the ditching himself and will supply invoices to the District for R. Jenniges’ consideration.
- USA Service Call Invoice: An invoice was received from USA for a service call for grinder pump start up in the ESA. R. Scott will discuss with R. Jenniges.
- Usage Billing: There are no meters on the new grinder stations. Options available to the District are: Install hour meters; install water meters; change to a billing system not based on flows.
- Final Payment: Discussions with USA are ongoing to agree on the final payment amount. The District agrees that interest for late payment is owed to USA; however, the District feels the late payment is due to late grant receipts beyond District control. The interest issue will be addressed at the JPB meeting. The District feels the liquidation deduct should remain. R. Jenniges will draft a pay request minus the interest, to be paid at a later date. The ditching punch list item will be considered as a deduct from the retention.
- Easements: The easements were rejected by the County. Corrections will be made and the easements will be resubmitted.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: DECEMBER 7, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.