CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, November 1, 2023– 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bonnie Caughey, Deena Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott. Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Members absent: None
The meeting was called to order by Chair Rob Scott at 1:10PM.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Caughey, supported by D. Congdon, to approve the minutes of the 10/4/23 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Caughey, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the September 2023 Financial Statements to the Board, which were Previous Year Comparisons and were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. October payroll: Admin – $2,443.00 & Operating – $9,189.75. Payroll Taxes: PERA – $1,906.53, Federal Deposit – $3,603.84, and State – $1,528.00. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $1,790.71; Legacy Fund – $5,743.10; and Operating Fund – $18,381.52. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: The balances were reviewed with the Board. St. Louis County has approved an additional $150,000 in American Rescue Plan Funds for the District to be used for future ISTS’s. The grant application is in process.
Revenue Forecast Requirements: The Board has begun reviewing the 10-year forecast, taking a hard look at the revenue and expense stream that is changing due to the Rural Development loan forgiveness. This will create a baseline for rate modifications. D. Congdon will take the lead on this. B. Caughey provided a spreadsheet on anticipated expenses of the ISTS’s going forward.
- Ordinance & Procedure Review: The District is reviewing their Ordinances and Procedures over the next few months. The approach will be two phased – Ordinance correction and update, and rates.
- Delinquent Sewer Bills: There were none to certify to St. Louis County this year.
- Township Posting of Manager Position for 2024: Deena Congdon’s position with be open for application for 2024 – 2026. D. Congdon does plan to re-apply for the position.
Joint Powers Board
- JPB Update: The October meeting was cancelled due to a lack of quorum.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
District Updates: Plant Upgrade: The project is complete. The final pay request should be received soon.
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: A report of current ISTS activity was presented to the Board.
- Rate Study: Discussed above under Revenue Forecast Requirements.
- District Yearly O&M Review: B. Caughey continues to contact the District’s ISTS customers. Not all have returned her calls. Bonnie estimated that there are about 10 systems that will need to be pumped in the Spring.
- Existing Systems: There was discussion of the need to complete a review of customers’ existing systems prior to acceptance, for those wishing to participate in the Management Program.
- Design and Inspections: Jim Orton will be invited to the next meeting to discuss the design and inspection processes.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – November 1, 2023
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We met all the MPCA effluent limits for the month of September. The plant is operating well, and the influent volume is still low. The plant is running well. With the new tanks now in operation it is very noticeable that the influent coming into the plant is much clearer as there is a large reduction in solids getting settled out earlier in the treatment process due to the new tanks. This is noticeable in the primary clarifier and the recirculation tank. We are making plans to get the insulated blankets placed on the grinder pumps to get things ready for the winter season. We’ll also be turning on the water infusion system in a few weeks. Ronnie will be swapping out the single grinder pumps at Voyaguer and Norway starting next week. This is necessary due to the large volume of influent being collected at these locations and a single grinder pump is not sufficient for this high volume of influent.
- D. Tufte RV Site & Twp. RV Site: The Tufte project is on hold. The Township project is in process.
- Maintenance Building: There was nothing new to report.
- Collection System Bridge Repair: Rutchasky Enterprises will temporarily repair until next spring.
- Job Descriptions: Input needs to be provided by those performing the jobs. There was nothing new to report.
- Winterizations: Blankets have been placed on grinder stations and need further work. Heat tapes will be turned on next week and infusers will be turned on by December 1st.
Public Comments: There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – December 6, 2023, 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.