CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
November 12, 2014 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:35P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott & Rob Scott.
Members absent: None
Also present: Jim Anderson of the MPCA, Consultant Gary Cerkvenik, ESA Advisory Rep. John Connaker (via telephone), Ron Rutchasky of Rutchasky Enterprises, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 1 member of the community.
Opening Comments: None
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of October 1, 2014. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. October 2014 payroll expenses, including quarterly payroll taxes: Administrative – $1,446.42 and Operations – $4,010.57. $14,510.22 was submitted for approval on the 2014 Freezing Insurance Claim for October; $113,619.83 has been submitted to date; $65,409.61 reimbursement has been received. $7,500.00 Hook-Up fee was transferred from the checking account to the Capital Reserve savings account. The 3rd Quarter Quick Book entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. The September 2014 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Frontier – $102.79; LMCIT – $74.00 & $1,197.00; S.E.H – $1,040.00 & $5,250.00. Settlement Fund: Ferguson Enterprises – $1,891.15. Insurance Claim: Sunrise Construction – $300.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $390.57, $120.01; $44.89; $44.89 & $45.00; Citi-Lites – $50.00; Frontier – $162.54; Gopher State One-Call – $2.90; LMCIT – $1,881.00 & $4,132.00; Menards – $257.39; Pace Analytical – $452.00; Udovich Electric – $518.89; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,654.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- 2015 Rate Schedule/Budget: The Board will review the previously emailed Revenue and Expense spreadsheets prior to rate decisions in December.
- Delinquency Letters: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to adopt Resolution No. 2014-3 Certifying Unpaid and Delinquent Charges of benefited property owners to the St. Louis County Auditor with taxes against each benefited property served for collection as other taxes are collected. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Professional Services Contracts: A list of Board Designates was presented to Board members for review prior to decisions being made at the December meeting.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): The Board has authority to make Ordinance 3 adjustments for management of District properties. Rate adjustments will be made at a later date.
- Insurance Addition: The District’s liability insurance was increasded to cover equipment breakdown at an additional premium of $400 per year.
- DNR Cooperative Agreement: A signed copy of the Crane Lake Public Water Access Cooperative Agreement between the State of MN and the CLWSD for 2015 has been received.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: There was no update.
- State and Federal Grant Applications: Jim Anderson of the MPCA and Consultant Gary Cerkvenik discussed with the Board the 1.5 million dollar Legacy Funds that the MPCA administers. Mr. Anderson stated that the MPCA would like to execute the grant ASAP. The District would need to be set up to receive the contract and payments. Mr. Anderson felt it was necessary to get budget information from S.E.H. for the Handberg Road Extension to get the process rolling. The Community Assessment Report (CAR) could be added as information became available. Gary Cerkvenik asked for clarification on where Legacy Funds and Bonding Funds can be used as well as their required matches. It was agreed that Mr. Anderson & Mr. Cerkvenik would work with S.E.H. and the UofM to sort
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – November 12, 2014
JPB Update State and Federal Grant Applications (Cont.)
out where funds may be used. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott to adopt Resolution No. 2014-2 for the CLWSD to enter into and execute a Grant Contract with the MPCA to complete a sewer project to protect and restore the waters of Voyageurs National Park and to comply with all Terms, Conditions, Project Work Plan, Work Plan Budget and Project Schedule of the Grant Contract and authorizing Robert J. Scott as Chairman of the District to sign the Grant Contract on behalf of the CLWSD. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to approve Robert J. Scott’s applying for funds for the Community Assessment Report (CAR). B. Beste, B. Congdon, M. Anderson & D. Scott voted in favor; R. Scott abstained and the motion carried. Gary Cerkvenik will begin an email stream among Jim Anderson, Randy Jenniges and the District recapping the funding discussion to assure that everyone is in agreement.
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Projects
- ISTS Management Projects Update (U of M): Sara Heger was unable to attend the meeting via telephone.
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges was unable to attend the meeting via telephone. The District needs to communicate with Randy to acquire a list of property owners in the ESA for CAR purposes.
- Insurance Claim: Invoices continue to be submitted to the Adjustor as stated above.
- Corrective Action Plan: A Special Use Permit is being drafted between the DNR and the District to run water from the well on the DNR Public Access property to infuse water into the collection system this winter to avoid freezing issues on the Bayside Drive line. The Permit will be finalized soon and preparation work is being performed. The District is in the process of applying 2inch foam, straw and tarps to grinder stations.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson was unable to attend the meeting but provided the following report. State standards were maintained during October.
Bio-Solids: Terry Jackson received an email regarding land application of bio-solids stating that it was possible and can be accomplished through permit modification with the MPCA.
Manpower: Nikki Rutchasky will begin working with the District in January.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING –DECEMBER 3, 2014 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.