CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING via GoTo
Wednesday, December 2, 2020 – 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Bruce Beste, Bonnie Caughey (via GoTo – Bonnie was unable to vote because she could not be heard), Darrell Scott, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Mark Anderson.
Also present: Jason Chopp of S.E.H (via GoTo), Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and many Kicker Blvd. residents (via GoTo).
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:10PM.
Opening Comments: There were none.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the 11/4/20 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the October 2020 Financial Statements to the Board. November 2020 payroll: Admin – $1,636.73, Operating – $2,710.22 plus Payroll Taxes – PERA – $882.77 and Federal Deposit – $1,719.94. October Tax Apportionment was received: Levy – $14,293.35; Fiscal Disparity – $129.54 and Special Assessment – $9,622.73. $4,000 was transferred to Debt Service Savings and $2,000 was transferred to Capital Reserve Savings – both from the Base/Volume Fund. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund: Costing Group – $1,250.00; CL Chapel – $800.00; Glorvigen – $752.50; MN Rural Water Assoc. – $320.00; and RVS Software – $30.00. Annexation Fund: Fryberger – $475.20. Legacy III Fund: Congdon Consulting – $2,500.00; and S.E.H. – $582.00. Operating Fund: Lake Country Power – $901.55, $183.82, $82.66, $52.66, $98.00 & $54.00; Aqua-Pure – $618.81; Grand Rapids Public Utilities – $5,745.15; Pace Analytical – $576.00; Robert J. Scott, Jr. – $1,245.90; Rutchasky Enterprises – $962.50; and Udovich Electric – $206.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A Report of current funding balances was presented to the Board.
- User Rate Discussion: The District will be taking a hard look at the rate structure for a long-range plan going into the future. A rate increase this coming year is not anticipated.
- Delinquent Sewer Bills: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott, to rescind Resolution No. 2020-07 Certifying Unpaid and Delinquent Charges adopted at the November meeting as there were no delinquent charges to certify. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Levy Revisit: The proposed 2020, payable 2021, levy of $40,000 submitted to St. Louis County will remain at $40,000. The forecasted administration expenses are anticipated to be around $65,000. Given the financial challenges being presented with COVID-19, the Board agreed not to raise the tax levy for 2021.
- DNR Co-op Agreement: The Agreement has been sent to the DNR for review and signature for 2021. The Agreement allows the District to infuse water into the collection system from the Bayside Drive Public Water Access well to keep the mainlines from freezing.
- Professional Service Contracts: 2021 Agreements have been sent to R. Scott, Jr., Rutchasky Enterprises, Costin Group, Orton Construction and Deena Congdon for review and update prior to Board approval at the January meeting.
- Board Designates: Will be reviewed at the January Meeting. The Board reviewed the 2021 Meeting Posting list.
Joint Powers Board
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott did not attend the last meeting and asked that Jason Chopp of S.E.H. fill in any blanks in this report. Jason reported that there was nothing new. The JPB is reviewing the Kicker Blvd. annexation with no action being taken.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: The CLWSD Board will continue to table the resolution to annex Kicker Blvd. until a second public meeting is held in the spring/early summer. There are still questions that need to be worked on, a survey completed, and an update to the Comprehensive Plan with the proposed Kicker Blvd. Annexation. The Board will continue to work on questions and concerns presented by Kicker Blvd. residents.
- Grant Funding: There was nothing new to report.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – December 2, 2020
- District Update: Jason Chopp reminded the Board that he had sent a Memo previously explaining the Wastewater Treatment Plant – Flow Equalization and Recirculating Sand Media Filter Evaluation. Jason presented an Agreement to the Board for engineering work related to the project. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to approve signature of the Agreement for Professional Services authorizing and describing the scope, schedule, and payment conditions for Consultant’s work on the project described as: Wastewater Treatment Facility – Flow Equalization System Design and Bidding Services. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Repair of a curb stop on Handberg Road was discussed. Ron Rutchasky will be tasked to correct the problem. When complete, S.E.H. will work through the warranty process.
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: There was nothing new to report.
- Cowden ISTS and Land Acquisition Request: The land purchase by the Cowdens is near completion. Parcel Code assignment is in process.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided a report to the Board: All grinder pumps will have the insulated blankets installed by next week. All water infusion systems are turned on. The gate valves were replaced.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit):
Kathy Slycord thanked Rob for providing the meeting contact information for people to attend the meeting via GoTo. She asked that the agenda be placed earlier to the website with Zoom information included.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – January 6, 2021 –1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.