CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
December 12, 2013 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott & Rob Scott
Members absent: None
Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 2 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob stated that he had communicated with Jon Christensen about setting up a conference call and reminded him that the Board would like and ESA Advisory Representative appointed. The Regular Board of Managers’ & Closed Meetings of December 4 were rescheduled to December 12, 2013 due to the weather. The Public Meeting has been rescheduled to Monday, January 13th to accommodate invited speakers.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of November 6, 2013. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. November 2013 payroll expenses: Administrative – $562.50 and Operations – $1,854.15. $36,262.24 Levy money and $17,621.99 Special Assessment money was received from St. Louis County. The October 2013 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; CL Chapel – $210.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,473.04; League of MN Cities Insurance Trust – $13.44 & $1,081.00; MN Rural Water Association – $225.00; Quill – $34.18; Intuit – $320.95; and S.E.H. – $2,538.82. Operations: Lake Country Power – $481.35, $101.53, $44.89, $44.89 & $45.00; Anderson Outfitters – $550.00; Ferguson Waterworks – $73.52; League of MN Cities Insurance Trust – $322.56 & $3,663.00; Pace Analytical – $296.00; Rutchasky – $5,952.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,246.80 & $560.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Bob Bartell’s invoice in the amount of $3,550.00 for inspections of ISTS’s on Bear Island is on hold until reports are received. The District may need to transfer funds back to the Operating Fund from the Capital Reserve Savings to pay January bills.
- Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- Budget Forecast – Rate Review: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to increase the Base Rate from $59 to $61 and the Volume from $13.30 to $13.70/1,000 gallons – a 3% increase – beginning with the January 2014 billing. R. Scott, B. Beste, B. Congdon and D. Scott voted in favor; M. Anderson voted against and the motion carried.
- Grinder Repair Charges: No action was taken.
- Admin Levy Review: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that the levy payable in 2014 remains at $72,000 as set in September. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Ordinance Review: The Board discussed the hook-up charge in Ordinance 3. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to change the initial hook-up charge in Ordinance 3 to $7,500 based on the most recent expansion. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A redline version of the Ordinance will be reviewed by the Board prior to final approval.
- ESA & WSA Advisory Representatives: The District is still looking for volunteers for the Advisory positions and has received no requests to serve.
- Terry Jackson Contract Renewal: Terry’s contract will be reviewed in January.
- The Costin Group Contract Renewal: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to approve the Agreement between the Costin Group and the CLWSD for 2013 and 2014. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – December 12, 2013
- DNR Contract: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Crane Lake Public Water Access Cooperative Agreement between the State of MN and the CLWSD for 2014. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Board Designates: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to approve the following designates for the District in 2014.
Cope & Peterson remains as council as needed for the District.
Glorvigen, Theis remains as the accounting firm for the District.
Any bank may be used with American Bank being designated as the financial institution for the District.
Carl Brown Consulting remains as a financial consulting firm on an as needed basis for the District.
Costin Group remains as consulting firm for the District.
SEH remains as engineering firm for the District.
Terry Jackson of Terry’s Operational Service remains as Plant Operator.
Jim Pohlman and Lance Ulen remain as Maintenance Workers.
Rutchasky Enterprises remains on contract with the District.
Traci Bak remains to provide Administrative Work.
CNH remains as the official newspaper for the District.
Rental payment to the Crane Lake Chapel remains at $30 per meeting.
Meeting Date & Time & Location: First Wed of each month, 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall.
Posting Places: Church, Post Office, Fire Hall and area resorts when open with 1 posting annually. Meeting changes will be posted as they occur.
Minutes Distribution: On website and mailed by written request.
Copy and Information Request Policy: Charge of 25 cents per copy (includes labor) for copy requests and $25 per hour for other labor requests.
Salaries: Jim – $18.50/hour, Jo Ann – $18.50/hour, Lance – $18.50/hour, & Traci – $51.50/month.
Mileage: Follow state guideline which fluctuates and is currently .56.5 cents per mile.
All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Terrie Hoff House: The Board discussed the outstanding bill on the property and the state of the grinder station. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to forgive the $120.00 owed through the October billing by the Hoff family and that the bank, now owning the house, will be responsible from that date forward. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Maintenance personnel will assess the grinder for any possible freezing damage.
- RLK Arbitration: To be discussed at the Closed Meeting following the Regular meeting.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: The meeting was again rescheduled to Monday, December 16th at 10AM. R. Scott will present to the JPB Board the letter written by the District to the MPCA requesting that the District’s purpose be defined. R. Scott will be scheduling a meeting with the MPCA soon to discuss the letter.
- Engineering Services Grant Request & State and Federal Grant Applications: There was no discussion.
- State and Federal Grant Applications: There was no discussion.
- St. Louis County Actions: There was no discussion.
- A conference call was to be set between 8:15PM and 9:00PM with Greg Kimman of S.E.H. and Rollie Mann of Ottertail Sewer District. Due to the District meeting running late, the call did not occur.
- R. Scott will contact Greg with concerns and questions in relation to the Bob Bartell report on ISTS’s on Bear Island.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson’s report stated that all state and federal standards were maintained in November. Chemical feed rates have been adjusted in accord with the flow rate at the plant.
- The motor for the influent sampler is not working. It will be repaired or replaced.
- A used pump provided by Electric Pump is being used to recirculate water on the sand filters. Quotations for pump repair or replacement are being researched.
- Terry is considering additional personnel for the plant.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – December 12, 2013
Treatment Plant and Operations Report (Cont.)
- The plant has been winterized.
- The annual biosolids report will be submitted to the MPCA before the end of the month.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Warren Bradbury stated that Bear Island is waiting to hear that there is no need to establish a joint sewer system. R. Scott stated that the District has made no decisions and continues to explore options for the entire Eastern Service Area.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: PUBLIC MEETING – JANUARY 13, 2014, 6:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING FOLLOWING
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.