CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
January 6, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:35P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott, and Rob Scott
Members absent: None
Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, reporters from the Cook News-Herald, and 3 members of the community.
Oath of Office: Mark Anderson and Rob Scott took the oath of office prior to the meeting.
Election of Officers: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D Scott, that the officers remain the same with Rob Scott as Chairman and Bruce Beste as Vice-Chairman. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Rob Scott stated that this would be his final 3-year term. He agreed to accept the Chairmanship for 2016, and stated that he would be willing to serve as Vice-Chairman the following year and as a Manager the third year.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of December 2, 2015. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. December 2015 payroll expenses: Admin – $719.25; Operating – $1,952.75. The November 2015 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Glorvigen – $5,622.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $209.95; Maki & Overom – $482.00. Settlement Fund: Udovich Electric – $356.00. Insurance Claim Fund: Rutchasky Enterprises – $45.00 and Udovich Electric – $1,394.78. ESA IRRRB Fund: S.E.H. – $4,124.00 and U.S.A. – $5,225.00. ESA Legacy Fund: Northeast Title Co. – $130.00 and Maki & Overom – $313.50. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $920.73, $121.09, $45.16, $50.00, & $46.00; Citi-Lites – $124.00; DVS Renewal – $21.00; Gopher State One Call – $4.35; Grand Rapids Public Utilities – $936.15; Menards – $55.78; Nichole Rutchasky – $50.00; Northeast Title Co. – $65.00; Pace Analytical – $296.00; Udovich Electric – $378.25; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,654.00 & $778.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: There were none.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): There was no report.
- Advisory Representative Update: There was no report.
- Salary Review: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to award a 5% increase to all salaries. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- DNR Agreements: The Crane Lake Public Water Access Cooperative Agreement between the State of Minnesota and the Crane Lake Water and Sanitary District for 2016 for funding assistance to the District for access and connection to the District facilities at the Public Water Access on Bayside Drive has been signed. The initial bill for the newly installed tank at the DNR Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road was sent to the DNR. Payment procedure is being discussed with the DNR.
- Revenue/Expense Projections: Projections indicate that the District will be able to pay the RD Loan payment in January of 2017 and possibly going forward dependent on expansion progress.
- Hoff Property: Past due bills are being cleared up by the Realty Co.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 6, 2016
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that there was no meeting in December and the next meeting was scheduled for January 21st. Kabetogama – The current construction plan for the sewer project is to award the overall project in three parts at their December Township meeting; i.e., Collection, Pretreatment and Dispersal. Koochiching – There is a lull in the action while they wait for funding. Ash River – Work continues with the DNR and St. Louis County for a land exchange. Crane Lake – The Handberg Road expansion is complete. Work continues with the DNR on Special Use permits for the two DNR landings. The District is working with the USFS regarding the recreational residences in East Bay having the option of a managed ISTS installed. Work is in the early stages to expand the CLWSD by annexation of the Kicker Boulevard area on Sandpoint Lake.
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Handberg Road Extension: Randy Jenniges joined the meeting via telephone. The Board discussed the current status of Punch List completion and final payment. Partial Retainage may be paid this winter prior to Punch List completion with the remainder being paid upon completion of items that must be addressed after the snow is gone in the spring. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve and sign U.S.A.’s Application for Payment No. 5. All voted in favor and the motion carried. As Built drawings will be submitted at the February meeting. There is a conference call scheduled for Thursday AM to clarify funding uses.
- Randy requested that plant temperatures be emailed to him on a weekly basis. This year’s temperatures will be compared to last year’s. Location of curb stops was discussed.
- ISTS Management Projects Update (U of M): Jim Orton of Orton Construction emailed that he is currently working on the CAR paperwork for Handberg Road. Randy, Jim and Rob will discuss the Handberg Road CAR prior to the February meeting.
- Funding for Expansion: The 2nd Phase of the Bonding Project will be addressed following the completion of the Handberg Road CAR. The PFA will then be able to consider Rutchasky Enterprises for the construction work along Handberg Road.
- Insurance Claim Status: Invoices related to the Stahnke property freezing have been sent to the adjuster.
- Corrective Action Plan: The District began water infusion near the end of December from the same properties as last year plus the Beckmann property. Cement blankets have been placed over grinder tanks where needed to prevent freezing.
- A letter was received from Dave Beckmann regarding electric bill increases anticipated relating to the water infusion from his property. A response will be sent to Mr. Beckmann.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson’s report stated that all effluent limitations were maintained during December.
- Heat tapes were turned on and water infusion into the system has begun. Chemical dosage will be adjusted based on total phosphorus results.
- Nikki has completed Volumes I and II of the Sacramento State Correspondence Course with an A grade. An advanced course has been ordered for continued training.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – FEBRUARY 3, 2016 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.