CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
February 4, 2015 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Bruce Beste at 7:35P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, & Darrell Scott.
Members absent: Managers Mark Anderson & Rob Scott
Also present: Jim Anderson of the MPCA, Jim & Kim Orton of Orton Construction, ESA Representative John Connaker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and two members of the community.
Opening Comments: Vice-Chairman Bruce Beste stated that Chairman Rob Scott was on a trip and that Sara Heger would be able to attend part of the meeting via telephone. Randy Jenniges would be unable to attend the meeting via telephone this month.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of January 7, 2015. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. January 2015 payroll expenses, including payroll taxes: Administrative – $1,167.74 and Operations – $3,221.16. The 2014 Audit adjustments were made to the District Books. The 2014 Quick Books entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. The December 2014 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Fryberger, Buchanan – $90.94; Jo Ann Pohlman – $16.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $85.00 & S.E.H – $16,750.00. Settlement Fund: Udovich Electric $1,497.17 & $1,139.01. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,107.06, $113.96; $84.50 & $45.00; Dept. of Employment – $116.97; Gopher State One-Call – $100.00 & $1.45; Pace Analytical – $296.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,594.20. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): B. Beste and J. Connaker met prior to the Board of Managers’ meeting to discuss ordinance adjustments to accommodate proposed managed systems within the District. J. Connaker stated that he and B. Beste had begun the process of determining a rate schedule for the portion of the District that will be managed. Three options that must be considered are: the management of new systems, the management of existing systems and systems that breakdown. CAR information is needed to proceed.
- Special Assessment Funds. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to adopt Resolution No. 2015-04 Establishing a Permanent Improvement Revolving Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: B. Beste read an email from R. Scott with the following information: Regarding the JPB, the focus is to work on getting Federal funds. Kab is still working on getting lower construction bids,
Island View extension is looking at phasing to break out costing, and Ash River is working on land from DNR for a treatment plant.
- State and Federal Grant Funding: Jim Anderson of the MPCA was present to report. Information has been provided to Mike Larson of S.E.H. to assist with the progress of the State Bonding Fund application. The grant contracts should be executed within the next two weeks. There was discussion of the $60,000 loan that will be needed.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – February 4, 2015
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- ISTS Management Projects Update (U of M): The Board discussed the contracts for the Handberg Road Expansion and the Bear Island Expansion with Jim & Kim Orton. Changes were made to the timelines on the contracts and the following Public Meeting dates were set: April 1 at 6:30PM for the Handberg Road Expansion and June 3 at 6:30PM for the Bear Island Expansion. A Public Meeting will also be scheduled in August to update the public on the CAR progress in those two areas. Sara Heger attended the meeting via telephone. Sara stated that she had provided the District with information on rate schedules for other managed district in Minnesota. J. Connaker plans to visit a few communities near his home to discuss rates to assist with the Ordinance adjustment project. The timeline changes to the Orton contracts were discussed with Sara and she agreed with the changes. Copies of the contracts will be sent to Sara. A motion was made by B. Congdon,
supported by B. Beste, to approve the Agreement between the CLWSD and Orton Construction and Consulting for a Community Assessment Report (CAR) for Handberg Road, and the Agreement between the CLWSD and Orton Construction and Consulting for a Community Assessment Report (CAR) for Bear Island. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A copy of the Orton Certificate of Insurance will be sent to Fryberger, Buchanan for review. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to provide a 10% down payment of $5,000.00 to Orton Construction as defined in the two contracts to begin the CAR work. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges provided an update via email.
Handberg Road: Plans and Specifications have been completed for the project. There will be some minor revisions upon receipt of information from the DNR regarding the station at the landing and possibly adjustments for properties adjacent to the force main. Plans and cost estimates were provided. The Board was requested to approve the plans and authorize advertisement and bidding. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to adopt Resolution No. 2015-03 Approving Plans and Specifications and Ordering Advertisement for Bids upon positive information on monies to fund the project. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Time line is as follows: 2/4/15-Approve Plans & Specifications, authorize advertisement. 2/27/15- Bid Opening. 3/4/15 – Possibly Award the project to the Contractor. Summer 2015 – Begin construction.
Funding: Applications have been submitted to the IRRRB (previously submitted). Legacy – including the State Bonding along with all the funding partners to provide matching funds. Technical Assistance Grants – Application has been submitted to the MPCA for the Handberg Road and Bear Island extensions.
- Insurance Claim: There was no discussion.
- Corrective Action Plan: Two items need to be completed for freeze prevention. The heat tape at the Stahnke property (which is being pumped) and the tank replacement on the Congdon property. This work will be completed in the spring. The Board clarified via emails prior to the meeting that those properties infusing water into the system to prevent freezing will not pay usage charges for the entire year.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson was unable to attend the meeting but provided the following report. State standards were maintained during January. Flow through the plant is nearly three times what is normally pumped from the main lift station during this time of year, resulting from additional water being introduced to protect the collection system from freezing. Chemical feed rate is being adjusted to offset the clear water entering the plant. All the materials Nikki Rutchasky needs to study for a Class D and Class C wastewater operator license have been ordered. There are some problems with the rubber ball in the check valves for the E-One pumps jamming with back pressure when they are not in use.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING–MARCH 4, 2015 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.