CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
March 1, 2017 – 2:00 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 2:40P.M.
Members present: Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, and Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson and Darrell Scott
Also present: Jason Chopp of S.E.H., Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 5 members of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the 2/1/17 Board of Managers’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The January 2017 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. February 2017 payroll: Admin – $652.63; Operating – $1,805.89. The District will need to upgrade the QuickBooks Program this spring. The District email program will be replaced also. Bills for payment: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,250.00 (Jan. reissue); RVS Software – $81.65; and Quill – $41.84. IRRRB Fund: S.E.H. – $5,700.00. Legacy Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $934.68; S.E.H. – $2,071.75; and Udovich Electric – $629.99. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,144.63, $156.90, $197.82, $83.45, $238.00, & $66.00; Citi-Lites – $31.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,698.52. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
RD-Loan Payments: The Board reviewed the pros and cons of paying down the principal of the RD loans and decided that it was not to the District’s advantage to pay additional principal at this time.
MPCA/PFA Funding: The Board received an email from Brian Fitzpatrick of the MPCA reminding the District that the Legacy funds must be spent by 6/30/18.
- CLWSD Advisory Rep. Update: There was no update.
- ISTS Contractor List: There was no update.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: There will be a meeting three weeks from now.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: The annexation process continues. The $60,000 legacy grant will be used for the annexation expenses. Randy Jenniges will set-up the budget required by the MPCA for the grant money expenditures.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Handberg Road Project (Phase II): Jason Chopp provided a feasibility study for Handberg Road Phase II and reviewed it with the Board. The Board requested that S.E.H. provide a breakdown of cost for each possible connection. A Committee Meeting is planned for Wednesday, March 8 at 9AM to discuss data on individual connections and costs. The Board also requested that S.E.H. provide options for connecting the Hagberg property to the centralized system. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon setting April 5th, 2PM for the Public Hearing for the Handberg Road Extension Phase II Project. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- DNR Vault: The DNR requested a variance from the District Ordinance requiring the removal of ‘outhouses’. They requested that the vault toilet be retained for winter use. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to allow the DNR to retain the vault toilet for winter use. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Handberg Road Project Summary: The Board reviewed the variance requests received in response to the letter sent to Handberg Road property owners. Three requests were received. A motion was made by Bruce, supported by B. Congdon, granting a 1 year variance to Joe Bonner to be reviewed again in one year with a possible option of managing his relatively new peat system; variances for Ruth L. Carlson and Bud and Char Bystrom were tabled until July when their requests will be reviewed again. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – March 1, 2017
S.E.H. Engineering Update (Cont.)
- Voyagaire Houseboat Station: The MPCA requires a price quote for the work at VHB. Ron Rutchasky will be asked to supply the price quote.
- Plant Valve: The valve work at the plant has been completed. Terry will review the work and advise the Board if any further work is necessary.
- Mobile Generator: Research of purchase of a generator for the lift station will continue.
- Future Project Areas: Jason Chopp, Gary Cerkvenik, and B. Congdon are discussing the development of budget costs for future sewer projects.
- Grant Funding: A response to MPCA’s Brian Fitzpatrick’s email regarding the timeline for expenditure of legacy funds will be composed by Gary Cerkvenik and Jason Chopp. Mike Larson of S.E.H. is looking into options for use of any remaining funds after the June 30, 2018 legacy fund sunset.
O & M Update (Decentralized)
- CLWSD Initial Site Survey: S.E.H. is working on a site survey for Jim Orton to inspect properties for compliance throughout the decentralized portion of the District. A draft service area map and spreadsheet identifying parcels with existing structures has been developed. This is a continuing work in progress. Once completed, Jim Orton will be able to use the list to provide direction for septic assessments.
- CLWSD Expansion Report: The Board reviewed the status of the expansion with two new requests for application packets and the receipt of bids for four ISTS projects next spring. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve Rutchasky Enterprise’s bids for the following projects: Bowers, Haberman, Leech and Sertich. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- ISTS Operations and Maintenance Program Establishment: An email was sent to Rollie Mann requesting information on how the Ottertail Management District tracks operations and maintenance for individual properties to assist the District with program establishment. A letter will be written to property owners in the management system advising when maintenance will occur at their properties, requesting best method of communication, and determining property access.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that effluent limitations were met during February. Influent flows and chemical dosages continue to be consistent.
- Manpower: Lance is progressing with the Sacramento State Correspondence Course and will attend the MPCA Conference in March and take the Class C exam.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Joanne Nachtsheim asked if there was a timeline for variance application. July 1 was the response.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: PUBLIC HEARING – APRIL 5, 2017 – 2:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.