CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
March 5, 2014 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott & Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson
Also present: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, and 3 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott stated that there would be a closed meeting following the regular meeting and that Sara Heger of the University of Minnesota would join the meeting at around 8PM via telephone to continue the discussion of a Management System as an option for the District. Manager Mark Anderson would also join the meeting via telephone during the Treatment Plant and Operations Report.
Minutes: A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of February 5, 2014. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. February 2014 payroll expenses: Administrative – $467.13 and Operations – $3,530.40. $485.43 was transferred from Capital Reserve Savings to Operating Reserve Checking for a pump purchase. $194.18 was transferred from Capital Reserve Savings to the WIF System Replacement Checking Fund, which is an annual MPCA requirement. $8,498.15 received from the County will be placed in S.A.R. Savings. The January 2014 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon to approve an update of the Quick Books accounting program for $224.95. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,258.40; Glorvigen – $5,415.00 and S.E.H. – $2,754.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,441.69, $101.53, $66.48, $89.17 & $141.00; A-1 Services – $353.44; Anderson Barging – $115.00; Citi-Lites – $25.00; MPCA – $505.00; Pace Analytical – $296.00; Lance Ulen – $485.43 and $116.46; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,421.04. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Bob Bartell’s invoice in the amount of $3,550.00 for inspections of ISTS’s on Bear Island is on hold until reports are received. S.E.H. is working with Mr. Bartell to provide the District with complete reports. The District may need to transfer funds back to the Operating Fund from the Capital Reserve Savings to pay March bills.
- Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- Ordinance Review: Final changes have been sent to Fryberger, Buchanan and a final copy will be placed on the District website.
- Hoff Account: The Board discussed accumulating charges on the Hoff account since November 2013.
- RLK Arbitration: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to approve signature of the Settlement Agreement and Release in the amount of $107,500.00 agreed upon by both counsel. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
VNP Comprehensive Plan: The meeting was held on 2/19/14 with the next meeting being scheduled for later in March. The JPB continues to work on funding with $750,000 earmarked for Crane Lake. The DNR continues to work related concerns about the execution of the Comprehensive Plan.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – March 5, 2014
- Sara Heger of the U of M joined the meeting via telephone at 8PM.
- There had not been much activity since the last meeting. The direction for a possible management plan will continue to focus on Handberg Road and Bear Island.
- Randy Jenniges expressed his disappointment with Bob Bartell’s work on the Bear Island report. S.E.H. is working to complete the report with input from St. Louis County. A copy of the report will be forwarded to Sara upon completion. Randy did not recommend payment of the balance owed to Bob Bartell at this time as S.E.H. was completing the report. The Board requested a letter from S.E.H. with their recommendation as to final payment to Bob Bartell with a Board decision being made at the April meeting.
- Randy reminded the Board that a feasibility study was done for Handberg Road with 3 options being presented. Randy felt the Management System could be integrated for properties off of Handberg Road.
- Randy presented a draft time line/schedule for work on the Handberg Road should funding become available. Following that time line, the earliest bids could be done would be June.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Mark Anderson joined the meeting via telephone.
- Terry Jackson reported that all effluent standards were met during February.
- Laboratory jar tests on the plant effluent will be run this month to determine if a coagulant aid will help settling and increasing the density of primary solids, to reduce sludge volume for hauling.
- S.E.H. continues to evaluate our needs with the recirculation pumps and should have a recommendation by the April meeting.
- A plastic chain link broke in both the primary and secondary clarifiers. This will be addressed in the spring.
- M. Anderson and Terry are looking into a temporary replacement for Lance while he is on vacation.
- A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, to purchase a Ranger for $3,500 and make modifications for District use. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The Board is still looking into purchase of a utility truck.
- The maintenance workers are unable to get to the meters for billing readings due to the deep snow. Estimates will be made for this month’s billing and possibly next month’s also.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Brent Bystrom appreciates the direction in which the Board is going in reaching out to the U of M Extension Service. Bob Kaiser requested an explanation of the CAR referred to by Sara Heger of the U of M. He also questioned why S.E.H. was completing Bob Bartell’s work when S.E.H. representatives had not been to the Island.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – APRIL 2, 2014, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.