CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Wednesday, March 7, 2018 –2:00 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 2:12P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Bill Congdon and Darrell Scott
Also present: Jason Chopp of S.E.H., Terry & Anne Jackson of Terry’s Operational Service; and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the 2/7/18 Board of Managers’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that sample results for one sample collected in February are not back yet, although it appears all State Standards were met in February. The infusion water continues to dilute the plant influent, making it easier to maintain standards during the winter.
- MPCA Permit and Bio-Solids Options: St. Louis County does not have soil personnel that can evaluate our proposed property for biosolids application. The rules and regulations for applying biosolids on land were developed by US EPA, and the MPCA has primacy over these laws. County rules for applying septage do not parallel these rules. Information will be submitted to the MPCA.
- Plant Manpower and Operators: Rob J. Scott will be taking the Class “C” Wastewater Operator License Exam in March. Terry recommends that he also apply for the Type 4 Solids License.
- Water Infusion – Monitor Flows and Temps. The water temperature going into the plant is at 37.6 degrees and is monitored on a daily basis. M. Anderson suggested that the temperature be measured at the lift station also – beginning next winter.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The January 2018 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. February 2018 payroll: Admin – $1,938.85, Operating – $2,241.90, Fed. Tax Deposit – $1,027.66. $57,371.00 was transferred from Capital Reserve Savings to Checking for cash flow purposes. Monies will be returned to the Savings Account when Legacy Reimbursements are received. Bills for payment: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,250.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $108.00; Glorvigan – $378.00; and Quill – 4169.63. Legacy Funds: Cook News-Herald – $16.80; Finance & Commerce – $200.18; Geo. Bougalis & Sons – $11,660.16; Rutchasky Enterprises – $24,000.00 & $101,500.00; S.E.H. – $8,140.00 & $1,506.00; Schlomka – $41,00.00; and Electric Pump – $7,371.00. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,422.40, $230.80, $425.32, $78.68, $243.00, & $67.00; Citi-Lites – $31.00; Pace Analytical – $151.00; Robert J. Scott – $732.28; Viita’s – $489.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,745.91. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills, except Viita’s for $489.00, which Mark & Bruce will review. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
MPCA/PFA Funding: The Board reviewed the remaining Legacy Grant Fund balance.
- CLWSD Advisory Rep. Update: There was no report.
- ISTS Ordinance Update & Review: There was no report.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that there will be a meeting on 4/2/18 where he will request more funding for continued ISTS installations over the next five years. Gary Cerkvenik is pursuing the relief of the RD debt, it is understood that the Duluth/North Shore Sanitary District received relief on part of their debt.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: The District will begin working on this in the spring. Mia of Fryberger, Buchanan estimated that the annexation process will take one to two years and will cost the District approximately $10,000 administratively.
- State and Federal Grant Funding: There was nothing new.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – March 7, 2018
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Handberg Road Project (Phase II): Jason Chopp presented George Bougalis & Sons’ Pay Request #3 for Board approval. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by R. Scott, to approve signature of George Bougalis & Sons’ Pay Request #3 amounting to $11,660.16. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- WWTP Maintenance Building: Jason reported that there were 5 bids for the project with the lowest bid being from Mitchell Watkins Construction, LLC. Of Hill City. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to award the project to Mitchell Watkins Construction for the lump sum bid of $520,000.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Jason will go forward with the pre-construction planning. The pre-construction meeting will be in Crane Lake with M. Anderson and B. Congdon attending. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to approve R. Scott signing the agreement and notice to proceed. M. Anderson & B. Beste voted in favor, R. Scott abstained and the motion carried.
- Legacy Spending Tracker: There was nothing new.
- Survey Work: S.E.H. will do the survey work on the property line between Weiland and Soule soon.
O & M Update (Decentralized)
- CLWSD Initial Site Survey: There was nothing new.
- Management Program Status Report: A report was provided to the Board. The Board discussed ISTS property pre-construction review with the property owner, a Board member and an engineer prior to construction and again after construction to assure that the property owner and the Board agree on property restoration after project completion. Retainage would be paid to the contractor following that review. Information will be sent to Jason Chopp so he can provide a scope of work to perform the service for the District
- ISTS Inspections and Maintenance: There was nothing new.
- The Board discussed the projects beyond Anderson Outfitters and agreed that they would go through the normal bidding process.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were no comments.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:30PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – APRIL 4, 2018 – 2:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.