CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, April 6, 2022 – 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bonnie Caughey (via phone), Deena Congdon, and Rob Scott
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman
The meeting was called to order by Rob Scott at 1:10P.M.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to approve the minutes of the 3/2/22 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the February 2022 Financial Statements to the Board. March 2022 payroll: Admin – $1,989.00, Operating – $5,284.00. Payroll Taxes: PERA – $914.65, Federal Deposit – $1,461.06. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $3,610.03; Legacy III Fund – $4,103.66; and Operating Fund – $6,332.94. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A Report of current grant funding balances was presented to the Board.
- Early Tax Distribution: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to decline St. Louis County’s offer of an early tax distribution. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Grant Applications: The District did not receive DEED funds but will be receiving ARPR funds.
Joint Powers Board
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott attended the March meeting. The Comprehensive Plan is in its final form and reviews have been completed. Ash River is working on their Feasibility Plan and Kabetogama is in Phase II of expansion plans.
- State and Federal Grant Funding: The JPB is currently working on Legacy V Funds for all areas.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- District Updates: Jason provided a current layout of the planned Crane Lake Township campground for the Board.
- Plant Updates: The Board is reviewing plant upgrades and applicable resources. Bids will be advertised by mid-April. The Board will request confirmation of whether or not pumping of the VHB houseboat tank will still be needed after the upgrades.
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: The Board discussed the Schwanke ISTS that is planned for installation this season. The Schwanke’s requested information on the monthly rate going forward. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Caughey, to follow the District Ordinances, that currently state a charge of $40 per month once the system is installed but not connected, then $80 per month when connection is feasible, and .5 EDU for each additional dome as they are added. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Rate Study: B. Caughey updated the Board on her progress of cost estimate projections for the project.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We met all the MPCA effluent limits for the month of February. The plant is operating well and the influent numbers have decreased showing a decline of snowmobile traffic in the area. I spoke with SEH yesterday and the advertisement for bidding on the upcoming plant upgrade should be posted in the local newspapers by April 14th.
- Mark Anderson Report: Land application rather than hauling is being considered again. The pumper truck had extensive repair this past fall; the Board discussed replacement and continued repair options. The District is in need of a utility truck; which will be explored further.
- Water Temperatures: The temps. are at 40 degrees, which is in line with expectations for this time of year.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – April 6, 2022
O & M Update (Centralized) (Cont.)
- Personnel: The Board is reviewing personnel needs as upgrades are being made to the plant and as the District grows.
- D. Tufte RV Site: David advised the Board that wetland delineation for the access was being addressed prior to providing the District with engineering information.
- Twp. Campground: The District received the conditional use permit application from St. Louis County Planning for the proposed campground on Township property near the proposed Visitor Center requesting that the District return their form listing District concerns or stating that the proposal may be issued as proposed. A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, that the District felt the proposal may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The form will be submitted to the County.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – May 4, 2022, 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.