CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, April 7, 2021 – 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bonnie Caughey, Deena Congdon, and Rob Scott
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:05PM.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott thanked Bruce Beste for his many years of service on the Board and welcomed Deena Congdon to the Board. He also stated that the Kicker Blvd. Annexation had been taken off the Agenda and there would be no discussion.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to approve the minutes of the 1/6/21 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried. There were no meetings in Feb and March.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the December 2020 Financial Statements, which were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen; and the January/February Financial Statements to the Board. January 2021 payroll: Admin – $2,480.00, Operating – $4,145.00 plus Payroll Taxes – PERA – $610.62, Federal Deposit – $816.66, & MN Rev – $479.00. February 2021 payroll: Admin – $2,030.00, Operating – $3,725.00 plus Payroll Taxes – PERA – $634.50 & Federal Deposit – $1,456.62. March 2021 payroll: Admin – $1,670.00, Operating – $5,730.00 plus PR Taxes: PERA – $752.50 & Federal Deposit – $1,273.54. Transferred $6,000 to Debt Service Savings and $3,000 to Capital Reserve Savings from the Operating Fund as May, June, July, 2020 monthly transfers. The 2020 Audit was completed and copies were sent to the Board Managers. A motion was made by B. Caughey, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of February bills amounting to $23,961.09 and March bills amounting to $14,740.46. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson to pay the April bills as follows: Admin Fund – $2,448.58; Legacy 3 Fund – $4,573.18; Plant Operations Fund – $15,926.40. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A Report of current grant funding balances was presented to the Board.
- Financial Analysis – Carl Brown: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to contract with Financial Advisor Carl Brown for a general look at District finances this year with a plan for an in-depth analysis in 2022 or 2023. All voted in favor and the motion carried. B. Caughey is currently working on new ISTS expenses and income as part of the District rate review.
- Bank Accounts: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Caughey, to remove Bruce Beste as a check signer on District bank accounts and to add Deena Congdon as a check signer. All voted in favor and the motion carried. American Bank will begin the changes to District accounts.
- Early Tax Distribution: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to decline St. Louis County’s offer for early tax distribution of 2021 tax collections. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Joint Powers Board
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: The draft copy of the Comprehensive Plan is ready for review. Jason Chopp, S.E.H., will be asked to send a draft copy to the District. D. Congdon will be asked to review the draft to see if any additional information regarding Crane Lake ISTS’s needs to be included.
- Grant Funding: There was nothing new to report.
District Update: Jason Chopp provided the following relating to the Wastewater Treatment Plant Flow Equalization Project: Continued correspondence with MPCA on permitting process for Equalization upgrades. Permit application has been submitted. MPCA will send a draft NPDES permit in the near future to include flow equalization. This will be on a 60-day public notice before the revised permit is issued. Current schedule is to advertise for bids in June or July.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – April 7, 2021
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: Groomer Garage may need some finish-up work this spring. There are four ISTS installations scheduled for 2021 and a new request for information was just received.
- Cowden ISTS and Land Acquisition Request: The land purchase by the Cowdens has been completed. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to review the land purchase expenses with the District covering the road and easement expenses and the Cowdens paying the legal and appraisal expenses. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following reports: January – All MPCA effluent limits were met for December. Inflows are showing a slight increase with some winter traffic coming through the area. All plant operations are running smoothly. Rob met with John Friel of S.E.H. a week ago to discuss some soil borings that will be taking place in a few weeks. These will help determine the location of the new equalization tanks. February – All MPCA effluent limits were met for January. Inflows are showing a large increase with a big influx of winter traffic in the area. All plant operations are running smoothly. All the additional insulated blankets have been placed. March – We met all the MPCA effluent limits for last month. Inflows are showing a large decrease in volume coming into the plant with the end of the winter tourism season. All plant operations are running smoothly. The plant water temperature is currently up 40 degrees. The lowest the temperature got down to all winter was 37 degrees, which is nice. It looks like the water infusion system did its job. The crew drained all the tanks and cleaned up the surfaces with a firehose a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice project to get done and prepare for the busy summer season. We were also able to replace two pumps that were down while we were doing this cleanup. The permit application has been submitted to MPCA for the upcoming construction project slated for this summer/fall for the addition of flow stabilization and equalization tanks.
- M. Anderson reported that all the plant pumping and transport has been completed. The pumper truck is being repaired and will be inspected by Mn DOT. The insulated blankets are being picked up and will be dried and stored for the summer.
- Drake Dill is purchasing Cabins on Crane and may want to do some expansion.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – May 5, 2021 –6:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.