CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, May 3, 2023– 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bonnie Caughey, and Rob Scott. Also present: Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and one member of the community.
Members absent: Deena Congdon and Darrell Scott
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:05PM.
The Board discussed items under O&M Update first.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- The Board discussed pumper truck options with pumper truck driver Craig Campbell including purchasing a new pumper truck, continuing repair of the currently owned truck, and contracting a service. Driver certification was discussed – Craig is fully certified and can have a fully-certified apprentice fill in, should he be absent. Craig has a pumper truck that the District can hire when the District truck is down. Currently the box is leaking and will be repaired. A weekly maintenance schedule will be prepared to maintain the current truck.
- A satellite toilet will be purchased for use at the plant.
- D. Tufte RV Site & Twp. RV Site: Nothing new on the Twp. RV site. D. Tufte is not ready for sewer installation at his RV site.
- Summerization: Infusers are being turned off, blankets are being removed from the grinders and will be stored, and heat tapes will be turned off.
- Collection System Bridge Repair: A repair was made on the south side of the bridge on the Gold Coast Road.
- Job Descriptions: B. Caughey and D. Congdon are working on the job descriptions. Tabled until June meeting.
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We met all the MPCA effluent limits for the month of March. The plant is operating well, and the inflow volume is lower now that the snowmobile season is over. The influent water temp at the plant was 43 degrees last weekend. We had a progress meeting on April 21th with SEH and Rachel to schedule and coordinate the completion work to finish the hook up of the EQ and Settling tanks. Rachel plans on mobilizing back up here on April 25th. They hope to have the work completed by the end of May.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to approve the minutes of the 4/5/23 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the January-March 2023 Financial Statements to the Board, which are Prev. Year Comparisons – prior to 2022 audit changes – and have been reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. April payroll: Admin – $2,179.00 & Operating – $5,655.50. Payroll Taxes: PERA – $921.77, Federal Deposit – $1,436.64, and MN – $764.00. 1st quarter 2023 QuickBooks entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $2,125.51; Legacy III Fund – $5,648.50; and Operating Fund – $8,864.61. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A report of current Legacy Grant fund balances, Matching fund balances, and the MPCA-CWP Loan fund balance was presented to the Board.
- Ordinance & Procedure Review: The District is reviewing their Ordinances and Procedures over the next few months. B. Caughey has been working on the Ordinances and suggested that the rates be removed from Ordinance 3 and added as a separate sheet/addendum so changes can be made more easily. The District is considering a flat rate for all residential accounts. Commercial accounts are still being reviewed.
- Bill Payment Policy: The Board agreed that the bill payment policy should be re-stated for the record. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to approve payment of the phone bills upon receipt, payroll related expenses, and O&M bills needing payment prior to monthly approval, by the Clerk. All other bills will be presented at meetings for approval and payment. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – May 3, 2023
- Short-Term Rental: Letters were received from SLC Planning asking if the CLWSD had any objection to the Pohlman & Pine Point Short-Term Rentals. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, that the Pohlman and Pine Point Short-Term Rental proposals may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Joint Powers Board
- JPB Update: R. Scott reported that funding through the JPB will be distributed with the District receiving an undetermined amount for further ISTS installations and other possible updates.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- District Updates: Rachel Construction is back to work at the waste water treatment plant and hope to complete the project before the first of June.
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: A report of current ISTS activity was presented to the Board.
- Dill Bear Island property quote: The quote received came in higher than expected. The Board continues looking into why. Jim Orton of Orton Construction will be asked to attend the June meeting to update the Board on any changes with ISTS designs.
- Rate Study: B. Caughey continues to work on the project.
- Yearly O&M Review: The District will send a letter with the June billing advising of yearly O&M reviews for ISTS properties.
Public Comments: There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – June 7, 2023, 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.