CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
May 4, 2016 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Darrell Scott, and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Bill Congdon
Also present: E.S.A. Representative John Connaker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and 7 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott stated that there was no meeting in April due to a lack of quorum. There were no freezing issues this winter. The winter was mild but the District has also instituted freeze prevention strategies that seem to be working. The Handberg Road Extension is completed except for a few punch list items prior to final payment. Handberg Road Extension – Phase II is off and running. There are two Management Systems in Minnesota; one in Ottertail County and the other in Crane Lake. Crane Lake is the only Management System with a sewer plant and collection system, and ISTS’s. Plant Operator Terry Jackson accepted an MPCA award for the District for maintaining a perfect record of permit compliance during 2015.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of March 2, 2016. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The March 2016 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. March 2016 payroll expenses: Admin – $683.55; Operating – $1,697.33. April 2016 payroll expenses, including payroll taxes: Admin – $1,056.55; Operating – $3,720.61. 2016 1st Quarter Quick Book entries were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen. Holt will begin paying usage with the May billing; Ingebritsen will begin paying usage with the June billing. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of March bills in April and the current bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,237.60; Lutefisk – $190.00 and Quill – $199.70. ESA IRRRB Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $375.00 and S.E.H. – $6,000.00. ESA Legacy Fund: Fryberger, Buchanan – $261.90. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,179.41, $140.32, $266.85; $81.33; $209.00 & $57.00; Anderson Canoe Outfitters – $665.71; Citi-Lites – $62.00; Gopher State One Call – $100.00; Menards – $117.80; Pace Analytical – $156.00; Udovich Electric – $506.00; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,328.80. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: No fund transfers were made.
- Ordinance (ISTS Management): Fryberger, Buchanan will be contacted to provide the updated Ordinances.
- Advisory Representative Update: There was no update.
- Renewal of ESA Loan Agreement: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott to renew the District’s loan for matching funds for the ESA grants. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- DNR Agreements: The agreement for the Public Water Access on Bayside Drive is in order with the hut remaining in the future. Discussion in ongoing with the DNR on bill payment procedure for the newly installed tank at the DNR Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road.
- Fund Transfers: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve transfers from the Checking Account to Savings Accounts as outlined. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that the 6.5 million dollar State Bonding was approved by the Senate. With final legislative approval, most of that money will go to the Island View project, Ash River and maybe a little to Crane Lake. Rob discussed the East Bay management program and the Kicker Boulevard annexation with the group. Kabetogama is being challenged by finding a licensed sewer operator as is Crane Lake (Terry Jackson will be retiring). The possibility of a combined operator is being considered.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – May 4, 2016
ESA Expansion & ISTS Management Project
- Engineering Update (S.E.H.): Randy Jenniges was not available by phone for the update. The Sanborn easement is being completed for work at Handberg’s Marine. Punch list items for the Handberg Road Extension will be completed this spring. The DNR will be building a bathroom facility this summer at the Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road. The District is considering extending the pipeline down Rocky Road dependent on the CAR and funding.
- Handberg Road CAR (U of M): Jim Orton was not present to report. The CAR needs to be finalized to continue with Phase II of the project.
- ESA Sewer Requests: There have been requests & interest in ISTS systems.
- Insurance Claim Status: The claim was not approved.
- Corrective Action Plan: The grinder tanks at the Beatty and DeFries properties will be inspected.
- Temperature Monitoring: Water temperature monitoring at the plant has been an effective freeze prevention measure.
O & M Update
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson’s reports for April & May stated that all plant effluent standards were met for March and April.
- Nikki Rutchasky received the advanced materials for her correspondence course from Sacramento State.
- Summer operation preparations are being made by removing insulation, adjusting flow rates with chemical addition, adjusting recirculation ratio and preparing to add polyblend.
- Solids for final disposal at the Grand Rapids Wastewater Treatment Plant will be transported next week.
- Tests on the underground laterals of the sand filters to check efficiency of recirculation on the filters will be done.
- A digital temperature reader has been located to assist with winter temperature readings at the plant.
- The Board discussed purchase of a trailer for the Ranger.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Tom Partridge said that Jim Orton had recommended that the pipe be extended down Rocky Road. Jeff Sanborn stated that the DNR was surveying at the Public Water Access at the end of Handberg Road.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – JUNE 1, 2016 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.