CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, June 7, 2023– 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Bonnie Caughey, Deena Congdon, and Rob Scott. Also present: Jim & Kim Orton of Orton Construction and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Members absent: Mark Anderson and Darrell Scott
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:05PM.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott advised those present of the expected receipt of 1.29 million dollars for Rural Development loan payment.
The Board discussed changes in St. Louis County rulings related to ISTS design and construction with Jim Orton of Orton Construction. Jim stated that the County cleaned up the language of their Ordinance 61 with no major changes affecting the District. Jim will move forward with the Dill Bear Island re-design. B. Caughey presented Mr. Orton with a document showing the property lines for the Dill property. ISTS reviews will be performed in July and August. Customers will be contacted by Jim prior to his visits.
Minutes: A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by B. Caughey, to approve the minutes of the 5/3/23 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Caughey, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the April 2023 Financial Statements to the Board. May payroll: Admin – $1,832.50 & Operating – $8,179.00. Payroll Taxes: PERA – $1,082.83 and Federal Deposit – $1,935.72. A motion was made by B. Caughey, supported by R. Scott, to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $9,969.42; MPCA-CWP Loan – $780.00; and Operating Fund – $15,224.30. The Rachel Contracting invoice for $337,923.89 will be paid from a combination of Legacy III, Legacy IV and matching funds. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A report of current Legacy Grant fund balances, Matching fund balances, and the MPCA-CWP Loan fund balance was presented to the Board. Information on Rural Development debt relief was presented in the Opening Comments. The Board will be reviewing all District receipts and expenses with advice from accountants.
- Ordinance & Procedure Review: The District is reviewing their Ordinances and Procedures over the next few months. B. Caughey continues her review of the ordinances.
- Beste Planned Use Permit Application: A motion was made by B. Caughey, supported by D. Congdon, to advise St. Louis County that the proposal may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- LMCIT Liability Coverage Waiver Form: A motion was made by R Scott, supported by B. Caughey, to advise LMCIT that the District Does Not Waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by Minn. Stat. 466.04. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The current liability policy is being reviewed and will be sent to the Board for any changes or updates soon.
Joint Powers Board
- JPB Update: R. Scott reported that 2.2 million in funding was received by the JPB with the District receiving $800,000 of that figure for future ISTI installations and District updates over the next two years.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- District Updates: A report of the current status of the Waste Water Treatment Plant Update was provided by S.E.H. Rachel Construction will complete the work soon.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – June 7, 2023
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: A report of current ISTS activity was presented to the Board. Electrical work is being completed at ISTSs installed last fall. Rutchasky Enterprises will be performing follow-up work at existing sites.
- Rate Study: B. Caughey continues to work on the project.
- Yearly O&M Review: The District sent a letter with the June billing advising of yearly O&M reviews for ISTS properties. B. Caughey volunteered to help with this process.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We met all the MPCA effluent limits for the month of April. The plant is operating well, and the inflow volume has increased with the start of the summer fishing season. We had a construction progress meeting on May 26th with SEH and Rachel. The hook up of the EQ and Settling tanks is nearly complete and it looks a lot better now that all the backfill and excavation work is done. The last of the pumps should be arriving sometime in June and that will be the end of the project. SEH and Rachel did an excellent job on this project, along with Lance, Jeff and Craig keeping the plant operational during the whole process.
- D. Tufte RV Site & Twp. RV Site: Nothing new to report.
- Summerization: Nothing new to report.
- Pumper Truck Options: Weekly check sheets for District vehicle inspections will be provided to maintenance workers to be returned to the Clerk each Friday. Any arising issues will be reported to the Board.
- Collection System Bridge Repair: Rutchasky Enterprises will complete the repair.
- Job Descriptions: Nothing new to report.
Public Comments: There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:00PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – July 12, 2023, 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
-This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.