CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, July 12, 2023– 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Deena Congdon, and Rob Scott. Also present: ESA Representative John Connaker and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Members absent: Bonnie Caughey and Darrell Scott
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:05PM.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Congdon, to approve the minutes of the 6/7/23 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the May 2023 Financial Statements to the Board. May payroll: Admin – $2,113.00 & Operating – $8,613.50. Payroll Taxes: PERA – $1,387.62 and Federal Deposit – $2,420.72. May Tax Apportionments were received – Levy-$37,922.38, Other State & County receipts-$492.97, and Special Assessment-$12,975.77. Contractor payments made in June: Rutchasky Enterprises – $1,590.00 & $2,100.00; Orton Construction – $800.00. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Congdon, to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $1,882.90; Legacy – $770.00; and Operating Fund – $17,496.39. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A report of the MPCA-CWP Loan fund was presented to the Board. The process for receipt and payment of the Rural Development Loan has been received. The money is expected within a month. The Board will be reviewing all District receipts and expenses with advice from accountants.
- Ordinance & Procedure Review: The District is reviewing their Ordinances and Procedures over the next few months. B. Caughey was not present to report.
- Short-Term Rentals: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Congdon, that the Cerkvenik Short-Term Rental Application may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, that the Brandon Anderson Short-Term Rental Application may be issued as proposed. D. Congdon & R. Scott voted in favor, M. Anderson abstained, and the motion carried.
- MPCA-NPDES/SDS Permit: A NPDES/SDS Permit Application relating to the Twp. Visitor Center was forwarded to the Board by Jason Chopp of S.E.H. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, approving signature of the MPCA-NPDES/SDS Permit Application for the addition of the Twp. Visitor Center/Campground to the existing permit and system, payment of the $310 permit fee, and a letter be sent to St. Louis County acknowledging that the CLWSD is prepared to accept flows from the Visitor Center and Campground. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Insurance: The Board discussed insurance coverage of the ISTSs
Joint Powers Board
- JPB Update: R. Scott reported that the September meeting would be held in Crane Lake.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- District Updates: A report was not received from S.E.H. See Centralized Report below.
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: A report of current ISTS activity was presented to the Board. Electrical work is being completed at ISTSs installed last fall. Rutchasky Enterprises has performed follow-up work at existing sites. The quote on the Dill Bear Island property is under review.
- Rate Study: B. Caughey continues to work on the project.
- Yearly O&M Review: There was nothing new to report.
- ISTS Designs: A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to request that Orton Construction submit new designs to the Board for review prior to submitting to St. Louis County for permitting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Liaison: The Board discussed the need for a District Representative to be present for new ISTS design.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 12, 2023
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We met all the MPCA effluent limits for the month of May. The plant is operating well, and the influent volume is at its normal levels for the season. Regarding the plant upgrade construction project, the last of the pumps arrived last week and were installed. The pump supplier sent out a representative to go over the operational procedures with Lance and Jeff. During the installation, we came up with an alternative pumping system for the sludge removal in the settling tank so this will push the project completion back a couple of weeks. This new sludge pumping alternative will save wear and tear on the sludge truck so it will be worth the wait at a minimal cost. Once this pumping system is in place, it will bring this construction project to a close. Rachel did their final landscaping work around the facility last week and laid down some grass seed and hay. Once we finally switch over the influent flow to the new settling and equalization tanks, I will get a baseline of our sampling results for the months of July and August. Then by next spring we will incorporate Voyageur’s wastewater into the collection system to be treated at the plant. Then I can see how this affects our new sampling results with this new influent.
- D. Tufte RV Site & Twp. RV Site: The Tufte Site is on hold. The Twp. RV Site is in process.
- Summerization: Nothing new to report.
- Pumper Truck Options: The truck is in for repair again
- Collection System Bridge Repair: Rutchasky Enterprises will complete the repair.
- Job Descriptions: Nothing new to report.
Public Comments: There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:25PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – August 2, 2023, 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.