CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, July 7, 2021 – 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bonnie Caughey, Deena Congdon, and Rob Scott
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: ESA Representative John Connacker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and three members of the community.
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:03PM.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to approve the minutes of the 6/2/21 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by B. Caughey, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the May 2021 Financial Statements to the Board. June 2021 payroll: Admin – $1,515.00, Operating – $7,860.00 plus Payroll Taxes – PERA – $739.90, Federal Deposit – $1,253.56. May Tax Apportionment was received: Admin – Levy – $22,309.94; Fiscal Disparity & Severed Mineral – $339.50; Taconite Credit – $358.20; & Special Assessment Revenue – $12,652.06. $12,652.06 was transferred from S.A. Checking to S.A. Savings. $8,000.00 was transferred from Admin Checking back to Debt Service Savings. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Caughey, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $1,525.40; Legacy III Fund – $657.58; and Operating Fund – $11,968.47. M. Anderson, B. Caughey, & D. Congdon voted in favor, R. Scott abstained; and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: A Report of current grant funding balances was presented to the Board.
- Liability Coverage Waiver: A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to Not Waive the monetary limits on municipal tort liability established by Minn. Stat. 466.04. All voted in favor and the motion carried. ISTS insurance coverage will be reviewed with the District’s insurance agent, the review and additional premium will be brought to the Board for approval before adding to the policy.
- Dill ‘s County Application Approval: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Congdon, to sign the St. Louis County Planning Department’s letter stating that the Drake Dill conditional use permit application proposal may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Joint Powers Board
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: Jason Chopp of S.E.H. reported that the draft copy of the Crane Lake portion of the Comprehensive Plan had been sent electronically to the Board for review and comment. A hard copy will also be sent.
- Grant Funding: $700,000 has been received by the JPB; Crane Lake should be receiving a portion of that funding to continue ISTS installations.
- District Update: There was no report from Jason Chopp.
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Flow Equalization Project: Plans for the plant are being finalized prior to Board approval. The next step will be to bid the project; then construction.
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: A report was presented to the Board. Designs are being prepared and construction will begin on permitted properties.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 7, 2021
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We had an inspection by MPCA a few weeks ago. The inspection went well and I am still waiting to receive his report. The sludge truck is making lots of trips to Grand Rapids to keep up with the sludge at the plant and keeping up with the effluent tank at Voyagaire. Lance has been training in Jeff Truebenbach to learn the plant operations and it seems to be going well.
- D. Congdon stated that the Campground planned at the old Borderland site will need a dump station for RV’s.
- M. Anderson will check with Udovich Electric on the report to be sent to the insurance company on pumps that need to be replaced due to lightning strikes.
- Voyagaire Pumping: Voyagaire has requested that the District pump one of their tanks, for which there will be a charge. Pumping of the houseboat tank is done by the District on a regular basis without a fee as it is in the District’s best interest to do so due to chemical content that would affect the plant’s treatment process.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Kathy Huggins asked if the Legacy Funds were specific to ISTS installations. R. Scott explained that Legacy Funds can be used for other things like plant updates and repairs. The agreement workplan can be modified when needed. Legacy Funds cannot be used for buildings or debt. Kathy also asked if the Comprehensive Plan would be available to the public. R. Scott responded that it would be.
Kathy Slycord asked if the Comprehensive Plan would be available to the public before it was finalized. Yes it will. She also asked if the date was set yet for the August JPB meeting, to be held in Crane Lake. It has not, but information will be made available when it is known.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:33PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – August 4, 2021 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.