CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
July 10, 2017 – 6:00 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 6:05P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Darrell Scott.
Also present: Ron Rutchasky of Rutchasky Enterprises, CLWSD Advisory Rep. John Connaker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, and 5 members of the community.
Comments: Chairman Rob Scott moved the O & M Update to the beginning ofqa the meeting following minutes and correspondence approval.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the 6/7/17 Board of Managers’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Ron Rutchasky reported that the plant was operating well. The digesters are on order as well as sampler buckets. These items should be covered by Legacy Funds. Quotes for a dehumidifier for the plant are being requested.
- Terry Jackson’s report stated that sludge removal was performed at the end of June/beginning of July. The amount transported to Grand Rapids was less than the past few years due to better control of solids inventory and process recycling.
- Results of the added equalization tank at Voyagaire Lodge are being monitored.
- Compressors used to pump compressed air to the sludge holding tanks have been pulled and are stored at Anderson’s; they may be used to agitate and mix lime with sludge in storage prior to land spreading; which is being researched.
- Rob J. Scott will be taking the Sacramento State Wastewater Operator correspondence course; he is working toward certification as the plant operator.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The May 2017 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. June 2017 payroll: Admin – $1,430.10; Operating – $4,187.35. The May Tax Apportionment was received on 7/3/17. The Breakdown is: Admin Levy – $22,068.13, Fiscal Disparity – $380.55, Taconite Relief – $375.50; and Special Assessment Revenue – $16,443.36. Bills for payment: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,250.00; Crane Lake Chapel – $300.00; Fryberger – $530.00; Lutefisk – $275.40; Quill – $182.52; and RVS – $328.00. IRRRB Fund: Fryberger – $710.20. Legacy Fund: Handberg’s Marina -$121.94; Rutchasky Enterprises – $21,371.00 & $19,271.00; S.E.H. – $233.75; and Udovich Electric -$142.50. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $715.05, $153.01, $182.32, $56.43, $104.00, & $51.00; Anderson Outfitters – $9.98; Aqua-Pure – $6,000.00; Randy Clemmer – $250.00; Grand Rapids Public Utilities – $$158.90; Mt. Iron Carquest – $81.43; Mountain & Co. – $1,920.00; Northwoods True Value – $13.70; Pace Analytical – $329.00; Rutchasky Enterprises – $269.69; Sunrise Construction – $200.00; Udovich Electric – $433.57; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,355.88. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
MPCA/PFA Funding: The District now has three different Legacy Grants: The original 1.5 Million for expansion; $60,000 for the Kicker Blvd. Annexation; and $300,000 in 2018 for continued expansion. An email to Brian Fitzpatrick of the MPCA will list the needs for the treatment plant – spare pumps, generator, etc.; a building for storage at the plant; pumps and tanks for collection; and materials for ISTS installation.
- CLWSD Advisory Rep. Update: John Connaker said there was no update.
- Centralized Connection Review: The Board needs to review properties not connected during the original project and the CSAH 24 extension.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 10, 2017
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that there is consideration of reducing the number of members on the board at Ash River. The next meeting will be at Ash River.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: The funding process is in place for the $60,000 grant for the Kicker Blvd. Annexation.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Handberg Road Project (Phase II): Jason Chopp provided a written report to the Board. Handberg Road Extension – Phase 2 – Initial survey work was completed. Jason Chopp discussed the project with all affected property owners. Brian Fitzpatrick of the MPCA has been notified that the engineers are working on the bidding documents and anticipate submitting them for review by the end of July. Unserved Parcel List – S.E.H. has provided a digital and hard copy of unserved area mapping to Jim Orton.
O & M Update (Decentralized)
- CLWSD Initial Site Survey: Orton Construction has completed septic assessments at most properties in the Decentralized Area. Bill Congdon & John Connaker will be contacting those that need to upgrade their systems. The Board has discussed mandatory connection for those that are non-compliant.
- Management Program Status Report: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to accept Rutchasky Enterprises quote for the ISTS installation at the Berlin property. All voted in favor and the motion carried. (Motion made earlier in the meeting under O & M Update-Centralized).
- ISTS Operations and Maintenance Program: The Board will request that the bill for the review at the Richter property be sent to the District. The Board will request that the County send review bills to the District in the future.
- Hancock Property: The property owner (Centralized) is requesting connection of two properties to the Centralized System. Two packets will be sent for the two separate grinders. A letter was received from the property owner advising that the pipe from the main line to the intended grinder tank placement site was installed previously and inquiring about compensation. The Board is reviewing.
- Congdon requested that the Board consider hiring an Administrator for the District.
A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, that the Chapel, the Fire Department, and the Groomer Garage (when connected) be removed from future billings. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – AUGUST 2, 2017 – 6:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.