CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
July 9, 2014 – 8:25 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 8:25P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste & Rob Scott. Bill Congdon arrived at 8:35PM
Members absent: Darrell Scott
Also present: Sara Heger of the U of M Extension Service, Two bidding contractors, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Timberjay and 4 members of the community.
Opening Comments: Chairman Rob Scott stated that the JPB meeting would be held on July 23rd at 10AM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall and all were welcome to attend.
ESA Board Advisory Representative – A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to accept John Connaker’s offer to serve as a representative to the Board in an advisory capacity from the ESA. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Advisors to the Board will receive all information and be involved in all discussions with the Board. An Advisor may not make motions or vote.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of June 4, 2014. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. June 2014 payroll expenses: Administrative – $888.00 and Operations – $726.40. $15,206.26 was submitted for approval on the 2014 Freezing Insurance Claim for May. The following was received from St. Louis County with the May Tax Apportionment: $708.25 – Taconite Production; $32,223.96 – Levy; and $18,043.97 – Special Assessments for a total of $50,976.08. The May 2014 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Crane Lake Chapel – $180.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $275.40; RVS Software – $261.00; and S.E.H. – $1,399.75. Capital Reserve: Quality Flow – $7,149.94. Operations: Lake Country Power – $723.38, $133.06, $67.03, $84.30 & $116.00; A-1 – $53.44; Anderson Outfitters – $29.00; Citi-Lights – $75.00; Randy Clemmer – $200.00; Gopher State One Call – $7.25; L&M – $13.63; Pace Analytical – $563.25; Rutchasky Enterprises – $3,303.00 & $2,040.00; Udovich Electric – $217.50; USABlueBook – $179.11; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,654.00. The motion was amended to include payment of $3,908.57 to Mountain & Company for Bio-solids transmittal. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Bob Bartell’s invoice in the amount of $3,550.00 for inspections of ISTS’s on Bear Island was not paid as recommended by S.E.H. A letter will be written to Mr. Bartell advising of non-payment.
- Fund Transfers: There were no transfers approved.
- Hoff Account: A delinquency letter was sent to the Realty Company responsible for the Hoff Account. Letters will be sent each month advising of delinquency.
- Staff & Manning Requirements: Rutchasky Enterprises will continue with repairs related to the freezing issues of the collection system. Lance Ulen has returned to work as of July 3rd.
- Seigley Driveway: The Board is in the process of determining the amount that was believed to be included in the RLK Settlement.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: As stated above, the July meeting of the JPB will be held in Crane Lake.
- State and Federal Grant Applications: The Bonding Bill was approved by the Legislature with Island View receiving 7.4 to 7.5 million and the CLWSD receiving $750,000. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, (formalizing the motion approved at the June meeting) to adopt Resolution No. 2014-01 authorizing the CLWSD to make an application to the MPCA National Park Wastewater Improvement Grant Program for the Crane Lake sanitary sewer improvement project. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The application for Legacy Funds has been submitted to the MPCA.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – July 9, 2014
ESA Expansion & Management (Bear Island, Handberg Road)
- Sara Heger of the U of M was present to assist in the selection of a contracting company to provide work required to complete a Community Assessment Report (CAR) for the Bear Island and Handberg Road areas of the ESA.
- The Board heard from Jim Orton of Britt and Matt Summers representing Wenck of St. Paul. Each described their company’s abilities to perform the work necessary for the CAR.
- The Board discussed the proposals and the option of doing a CAR for all remaining ESA areas not sewered or managed by the District as opposed to the Handberg Road and Bear Island areas only. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to do a CAR for all remaining ESA areas not sewered or managed by the District. B. Congdon and M. Anderson voted for; B. Beste and R. Scott voted against. The motion did not carry. The motion will be restated when there is a full quorum. There was no bid accepted at this time.
- Chronology of Events: Randy Jenniges supplied the District with a large map for addressing the freezing facts designated to each property. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to set a Special Board of Managers’ Meeting to address freezing issues on Tuesday, July 15th at 9AM. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Insurance Claim. Information is being forwarded to the insurance adjustor as it is received.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson provided a reported to the Board stating that state standards were maintained during June.
- Electric Pump Co. will install the Flyght recirculation pumps on July 28th and 29th.
- Due to a concern about solids recycle and not being able to maintain standards, Terry is recommending a flocculant be included with existing chemicals A Polyblend unit can be leased for $300 a month and would be leased for July, August and September.
- Terry continues to work on the application for bio-solids application on our proposed site.
- Accumulated sludge from the holding tanks was transported to Grand Rapids Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Effluent pump #2 was replaced by Quality Flow Systems.
- Terry met with John Thomas of the MPCA for the annual plant inspection. The District received a letter of warning for trouble we had making standards two winters ago. The MPCA was aware of the problem and was asked for assistance in resolving the problem. The problem was resolved.
- All grinder systems are unfrozen and pumping has been discontinued.
- Terry has compiled the information he has on the freeze-ups and will get them to Mark and Bill in a few days.
- A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to purchase a generator for the lift station. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:40PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: SPECIAL BOARD MEETNG – JULY 15, 2014 – 9AM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – AUGUST 5, 2014 – 7:30PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.