CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall
Wednesday, August 2, 2023– 1:00 P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bonnie Caughey, Deena Congdon, and Rob Scott. Also present: ESA Representative John Connaker and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Members absent: Darrell Scott
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 1:10PM.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Congdon, to approve the minutes of the 7/12/23 Regular Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B Caughey, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman presented the June 2023 Financial Statements, which were Previous Year Comparisons and were reviewed with Jennifer of Glorvigen, to the Board. May payroll: Admin – $2,443.00 & Operating – $9,050.50. Payroll Taxes: PERA – $1,487.72 and Federal Deposit – $2,614.18. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to accept the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Admin Fund – $2,201.53; Legacy – $55,697.17; and Operating Fund – $15,658.72. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Funding Balances: There were no changes in funding balances to report.
- Ordinance & Procedure Review: The District is reviewing their Ordinances and Procedures over the next few months.
- St. Louis County Short-Term Rental & Building Approvals: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Caughey, that the Cabins on Crane Short-Term Rental Application may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, that the Berling Land Use Permit Application may be issued as proposed. All voted in favor, and the motion carried.
- Levy: The Admin Fund has been short for some time, with funds borrowed from the Debt Service Fund to sustain it. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to transfer the remaining Legacy Grant Fund-Kicker Blvd. balance of $38,915.90 to the Admin Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board discussed levy options. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Caughey, to levy $79,000 for 2023, payable in 2024, based on expected $71,000 expenses for one full year plus $8,000 borrowed funds to be returned to the Debt Service Savings Fund. R. Scott, B. Caughey, and M. Anderson voted in favor, D. Congdon voted against and the motion carried.
- Snowplowing: The Board discussed continuing with St. Louis County for snowplowing services. They also discussed a previous agreement with the Cowden’s that they would share in road upkeep as their property is accessed through the CLWSD plant road. The Cowden’s will not be living at the property as planned. It was agreed to complete the application with SLC for snowplowing for 2023/24 and to inquire about summer blading of the road as well. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to assess the Cowden’s $50 per month as their share for regular road maintenance, to be reviewed annually. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Insurance: The Board discussed insurance coverage of the ISTSs.
Joint Powers Board
- JPB Update: R. Scott confirmed that the Legacy V Grant, soon to be received, was for $250,000.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- District Updates: A report was not received from S.E.H. There is a valve that is not working with the recent WWTP update, which will be replaced by Rachel Contracting. See Centralized Report below.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – August 2, 2023
O & M. (Decentralized)
- Management Program Update: A report of current ISTS activity was presented to the Board. Electrical work needs to be completed at one ISTS installed last fall. Rutchasky Enterprises has performed follow-up work at existing sites. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to accept Rutchasky Enterprise’s quote of $34,000 to perform the ISTS installation at the Dill Bear Island property. R. Scott, M. Anderson, and D. Congdon voted in favor, B Caughey voted against and the motion carried. The Board agreed to go forward with the ISTS requested by Jon Driggs. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by R. Scott, to approve installation of an ISTS for Greg Sanford at his property in Buyck. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Rate Study: B. Caughey continues to work on the project.
- Yearly O&M Review: B. Caughey agreed to assist with contacting people for the Yearly O&M Reviews.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Rob Scott Jr. provided the following report: We met all the MPCA effluent limits for the month of June. The plant is operating well, and the influent volume is at its normal levels for the season. When Rachel completed all the work for the new Settling and Equalization tanks, they noticed the flow was very slow. After some investigating, Rachel discovered that the new valve coming from the equalization tank to the plant was not opening all the way. So, they are currently ordering a new one and plan on replacing it once it arrives.
- D. Tufte RV Site & Twp. RV Site: The Tufte Site is on hold. Jason Chopp, S.E.H., has requested easement information for the Twp. RV Site.
- Summerization: Nothing new to report.
- Pumper Truck Options: Nothing new to report.
- Collection System Bridge Repair: Rutchasky Enterprises will be reminded to complete the repair.
- Job Descriptions: D. Congdon provided an update on job descriptions for Board review.
- Billing Change: The Board has been advised of a change in Voyagaire’s houseboat fleet. It is understood that some houseboats now collect grey water as well as black. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to adjust Voyagaire’s billing to reflect the number of houseboats that are now collecting grey water in addition to black water at a rate equivalent to that of an RV, or .48 EDU per boat. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Public Comments: There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: Board of Manager’s Meeting – September 6, 2023, 1:00PM, Fellowship Hall
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.