CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
September 6, 2017 – 6:00 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 6:05P.M.
Members present: Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Darrell Scott.
Also present: Mark St. Lawrence and Dave Fink of St. Louis County Environmental Services, Jason Chopp of S.E.H., Ron Rutchasky of Rutchasky Enterprises, Jim & Kim Orton of Orton Construction, CLWSD Advisory Rep. John Connaker, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, and 12 members of the community. Plant Operator Terry Jackson arrived at 6:15PM.
Comments: Chairman Rob Scott stated that the meeting would include talk of the non-compliance letter received by some property owners, and the relationship between St. Louis County and the District. He apologized for the bluntness of the non-compliance letter. Rob reviewed the history of the Management Plan to date and that modifications would be made if needed. The meeting would begin with St. Louis County Environmental Services Representative Mark St. Lawrence’s presentation, followed by public comment; then the business meeting with more public comment. He then introduced Mark St. Lawrence to those present.
Mark St. Lawrence began by saying that the County reviewed the Management Plan with the District and attorneys with the County agreeing that it was a very good concept. He explained that Jim Orton’s job through the District was to do assessments, not inspections. He was qualified to do inspections, but that was not his job for the District. Mark explained the County’s involvement in the permitting process for Individual Sewer Treatment Systems (ISTS) and their need to have proof of District ownership of the system being installed. Providing the signed District Agreement along with Jim Orton’s design would be needed from each customer. There was public comment following Mark’s presentation followed by a five minute recess.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the 8/2/17 Board of Managers’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The July 2017 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. August 2017 payroll: Admin – $1,759.25; Operating – $4,115.56. Bills for payment: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,250.00; Glorvigen – $266.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $16.95; and Quill – $48.27. IRRRB Fund: S.E.H. – $15,000.00. Legacy Fund: Brandau Plumbing – $2,740.85; Great Northern Environmental – $6,346.35; Hach – $3,269.86; Handberg’s Marina -$71.49; Tech Sales – $13,988.00 and Rutchasky Enterprises – $24,227.00. Plant Operations: Lake Country Power – $568.35, $216.17, $70.77, $45.10, $46.00, & $51.00; Citi-Lites – $93.00; Randy Clemmer – $50.00; Gopher State One Call – $2.70; L&M – $386.54; Pace Analytical – $329.00; Robert J. Scott – $428.92; St. Louis County – $624.00; Sunrise Construction – $525.00; Udovich Electric – $617.50; USA BlueBook – $185.64; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,648.66. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
MPCA/PFA Funding: The Board reviewed the fund balances and discussed the needs of the plant and the collection system to be considered following the Handberg Road Expansion Phase II.
- CLWSD Advisory Rep. Update: John Connaker said that it seemed that when there was controversy, the subject of the District finances comes up. He wanted to say that the finances are in good shape.
- Bid Process: The Board discussed the need to provide information to potential bidders in addition to what is provided in the Permit to Construct that is forwarded to them.
- Levy: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to set the 2018 levy at $30,000. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – September 6, 2017
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: R. Scott reported that the meeting was held at Ash River where it was decided that Ash River would be a sewer district, not a subordinate of a township as they are unincorporated. The next meeting will also be at Ash River.
- Kicker Blvd. Annex: There was no report.
- State and Federal Grant Funding: Gary Cerkvenik continues to work for more funding for the JPB.
S.E.H. Engineering Update
- Handberg Road Project (Phase II): Jason Chopp reported that Brian Fitzpatrick of the MPCA had no additional comment on the bidding documents and anticipates approving the project soon. The project is currently out to bid with the bid opening scheduled for September 21st. Easement information is currently with the District’s attorney to prepare the legal transfer documents. Jason plans to communicate with all affected property owners in the near future. A Special Meeting will be called to open the bids with the anticipated date being 9/21/17.
O & M Update (Decentralized)
- CLWSD Initial Site Survey: Most areas have been reviewed with a few remaining.
- Management Program Status Report: A report was provided to the Board.
O & M Update (Centralized)
- Operations Report: Terry Jackson reported that the number of total coliform increased in the plant effluent, signifying the need to replace the UV tubes. All four were replaced.
- Terry looked at the proposed biosolids site at the Rutchasky property. The land is open, flat and isolated; which is ideal for a biosolids site. 20 soil samples were taken and were sent to the U of M for analysis. An MPCA Class IV Solids license is required for land spreading of biosolids.
- Terry ordered an eyewash/shower (OSHA approved), two 24-hour composite refrigerated samplers, spare UV tubes and lab testing equipment.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): Carl Anderson requested that access to properties needed to be added to bids. Steve Bergerson commented on the presence of District representatives on his property without notification. He did not feel the non-compliance letter was in accordance with the County. R. Scott repeated his apology for the letter. Bonnie Caughey commented on the lack of communication received during the issues with her property. Jim Orton withdrew his design for the Caughey property.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: BOARD OF MANAGERS’ MEETING – OCTOBER 4, 2017 – 6:00PM, FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.