CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS SPECIAL MEETING
April 23, 2003 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
Study Session – 7:00 – 7:30PM
Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto reviewed the Progress Status Report with the Board.
The meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Darrell Scott at 7:30PM.
Members present: Managers Darrell Scott, Mike White, Deena Congdon, and Jim Sanborn.
Also present: Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel, and 13 concerned citizens.
Ordinance & Rate Schedules
- M. White contacted the Environmental Financial Group of Minneapolis for a resume and proposal for assistance in development and implementation of financial and utility business plans.
- Administration costs are paid by the whole District, not just the WSA. Most of the expenses of this Group would be administrative. The Gold Coast project includes $21,000 it owes to administrative funds; which is approximately the total estimated fee of EFG. There would not be a project overrun or increase in tax levy.
- Scott Harder of Environmental Financial Group (EFG) suggested the Board authorize the first two tasks in his proposal at this meeting; then meet with the Board regarding the rest of his proposal.
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by J. Sanborn to authorize the expenditure of $6,000 for the first two tasks to be performed by EFG. Motion carried.
- A letter was received from Cope & Peterson strongly advising the recording of the plat.
- M. White would like more time to review Alicia Cope’s suggestions as the letter was received at 4PM today.
- M. White suggested action should be taken at the next Board meeting.
- M. White reviewed the history of the Board vacancy since November 2002.
- M. White will draft a letter to St. Louis County to see where they are at with the issue.
- The letter would be submitted to the Board for approval before mailing.
Approval of MN Rural Water Financing
- A motion was made by M. White, supported by D. Congdon to approve the resolution, with wording as proposed by Mary Frances Skala of Fryberger, Buchanan, Approving and Authorizing an Advance Agreement with Minnesota Rural Water Finance Authority and Authorizing Participation in Joint Powers Authority. Motion carried.
Construction Related Agreements
Some of the public comments were as follows:
M. White stated that a letter had been received from Michael Siegley asking to be on the Agenda requesting the meetings be held on Friday evenings rather than Wednesdays. M. White felt the Board should consider having two meetings per month and asked that scheduled meeting days be put on the agenda for May 7, 2003.
Paul Hamblin asked if the EFG would be including thoughts on the ESA. M. White responded yes.
Paul Hamblin asked if the Plat would be final. Jim Pucel responded yes. We are still receiving change in service line easements and don’t have all easements so we cannot file the final plat. M. White said there has been enough time and the easement issue must be resolved. There would be expense to changing easements. If the service lines must be placed outside of the easement boundary, the plat must be recorded again.
Brad Blazevic asked about the easement on Minnesota Historical Society property for the discharge pipe. He feels it may be on his land.
Brad Blazevic also had done some research on meters and found them to cost $96 each.
Paul Hamblin asked when the Treatment Plant was scheduled for completion. Jim Pucel said construction should start on June 15 and the contractor would have until 7/1/04 for substantial completion.
Paul Hamblin then asked when property owners should expect to be hooked-up to the system. Jim Pucel said it should be in 2004.
Paul Hamblin asked when drainpipes are removed along the road would they be replaced? Jim Pucel answered yes.
Someone asked how deep would the main trunk line be in the road. Jim Pucel responded 7 ½ feet of cover and possibly 5 feet with insulation in ledge rock.
Mike Siegley asked if there would be a representative from RLK-Kuusisto on site during construction. Jim Pucel answered yes.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15PM