CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
April 6, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams and Mark Anderson
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of March 3, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. March 2011 payroll expenses, including payroll tax payments, were as follows: Administrative – $1,398.17 and Operations – $2,902.89. The February 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of March 2011 bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,075.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $891.55; and S.E.H. – $4,112.90. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,263.22, $91.38, $57.07 & $97.12; Canoe Country Electric – $579.96; Hawkins – $1,142.38; NTS – $420.00; Quality Flow – $1,232.89; Teledyne – $137.49; and Terry’s Operational Services – $121.42 & $1,217.31. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve payment of Change Order No. 1 to U.S.A. in the amount of $3,729.39 from the E.S.A. Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Rate Schedule Report: Rates will be reviewed again at the May meeting.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- Insurance Claim: The insurance claim has been closed.
- Flood Insurance: The Board decided against purchasing flood insurance.
- Ordinance Review: The Board is currently reviewing Ordinances 1 & 3 and will forward information to the District Attorneys for consideration.
- Permits: A permit application for sewer service connection is being reviewed and will be sent to S.E.H. for their opinion. An application for contractor’s sewer connection license will be sent to the District Attorneys for review.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: The District continues to review.
- A letter was received from Dennis and Betty Corcoran and Ralph Clemmer regarding the Special Assessment penalty and interest as it relates to their recent land sale. A response will be sent stating the Board’s position.
- Manager Position: Verbal confirmation has been received from Dave Adams that he would like to resign from the Board with written confirmation forthcoming. A request to the Town Board will be made to post and publish the position opening.
- An email was received from the MN Department of Health Food Beverage and Lodging Program regarding restrictions on mop water entering the sewer system. Grinder specs will be reviewed before responding.
- Mediation: The judge assigned to the mediation is still on vacation. A date will be set upon his return.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – April 6, 2011
- VNP Clean Waters Project: The JPB held its monthly meeting on March 17th. Work on the Comprehensive Plan continues with emphasis on Ash River sewer organization, Kabetogama treatment plan, Koochiching County Island View extension, and Crane Lake CSAH 24 expansion project. VNP Days was held in Washington, D.C. with a positive reception to the overall program.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: R. Scott attended a meeting of the Task Force on 4/6/11. The six members and 20 others went through the draft report. Significant event of the meeting was discussion of creating an International Watershed Board for the entire international Lake of the Woods and Rainy River watershed.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: Construction will continue in the spring.
- Comprehensive Plan Work: A map of planned expansion areas was sent to the Board by S.E.H. for consideration.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit. Slight spring infiltration has begun.
- Culvert: The Board is working with the County to arrive at a solution to prevent freezing of the main lines crossing the culvert.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of March.
- The overload relay for pump #1 at the main lift station was replaced and the pump is back in working order.
- Effluent Pump #2 at the plant is in need of major repair or replacement. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to purchase a new pump for $5,360.00 plus tax. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Sludge pumping will need to be scheduled. T. Jackson will call for proposals from sludge haulers to be considered at the May meeting.
- MPCA Award: Terry and Anne Jackson accepted the MPCA Wastewater Treatment Plant Commendation on behalf of the CLWSD in Brooklyn Park on March 24th.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: MAY 4, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.