Crane Lake, Minnesota Water & Sanitary District  
Crane Lake, Minnesota Water & Sanitary District - Menu



April 7, 2004 – 7:30 P.M.


The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:30 P.M.


Members present:  Managers Bud Bystrom, Darrell Scott, Rob Scott and Michael White.

Manager Deena Congdon arrived at 7:40PM

Members Absent: None


Also present:  John Jamnick and Jim Pucel of RLK Kuusisto, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News Herald, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel and four members of the community.




Motion by D. Scott, supported by B. Bystrom to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 17, 2004.  Motion carried.


Chairman M. White reviewed the Treasurer’s Report.  A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Scott to approve the March Treasurer’s Report and the payment of bills as follows:  Administrative – Quill – $252.57.  Project – RLK-Kuusisto – $4,188.75 and Cope & Peterson – $1,937.76.  The remaining administrative bills will be held until a $6,000 transfer can be made from the Project Fund to the Administrative Fund.  Motion Carried.



  • The correspondence was presented to the Board.
  • A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required.  Motion carried.


RLK-Kuusisto Project Status Report

·         Held monthly USDA Meeting on March 24, 2004.

  • Wastewater Collection System
    • Contractor claims the Contract has been terminated due to a late payment in December 2003 through the US Army Corps of Engineers reimbursements process.  A letter was received from the Contractor requesting a time extension and an additional $34,400 to continue work.  RLK drafted a response to his letter.  RLK plans to set up a meeting between them and the Contractor to discuss the Contractor’s claim and requests.  R. Scott questioned the need for the meeting.  It was decided to go ahead with the meeting plans.

o       The Contractor is scheduled to start work on the discharge line in the beginning of April.

    • It has been determined that 11 existing septic systems will be disturbed during the grinder pump and service line installation, 47 services can be completed without disturbing the existing system and the location of 22 drain fields are unknown.

o        A letter was sent to St. Louis County requesting their schedule for the replacement of the large culvert by Borderland Lodge and to determine if the restoration for the Wastewater Collection System and the culvert replacement could be coordinated.

  • Wastewater Treatment System
    • Contractor completed hydrofraction of well and RLK will advise the gallons per minute capacity of the well. The Contractor is scheduled to start work on the discharge line in April.

o        Contractor is starting on the mechanical and electrical work.

  • The plat has been approved by the Town Board.
  • A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by D. Congdon to approve RLK-Kuusisto Contract Amendment No. 2 as outlined and amplified by RLK-Kuusisto.  Motion carried.
  • A letter of recommendation on meters was sent to the Board.


RLK-Project Status Report (Cont.)

  • A second letter will be written to Wagner Construction about the condition of C.S.A.H. 24.
  • R. Scott recommended that the Project Status Report include information on the possibility of a 3rd Contract Amendment on each report.  M. White will work with J. Pucel on a report format.


2004 Construction Planner

  • R. Scott is working with Jim Pucel to determine the issues involved with the 11 septic systems that will be disturbed during the grinder pump and service line installation.
  • An interim process bringing grinders on line before the waste water treatment facility is operational needs to be addressed.  RLK will discuss this with Wagner Construction.
  • A general schedule is needed from the Contractor stating when he will be working in each area.


User Hook-up Requirements

  • Packets will be prepared for mailing to property owners in the Western Service Area describing grinder hook-up requirements and procedures.
  • The packets will contain specifics for contractors as well as property owners.
  • The packets will be ready for review at the next meeting.


Grinder Pump Sharing

  • Jim Janssen has requested the removal of one assessment and grinder.  M. White asked for approval to authorize Scott Harder to remove the assessment and grinder from the plan provided Mary Frances Skala agrees.
  • R. Scott said he had submitted a similar request and made a motion that the two issues be addressed at the same time.
  • The motion was tabled until M. White can review the two issues with Scott Harder.


Financial Plan

  • There have been requests to place the proposed financial plan on the website.
  • There was discussion with the Board concluding that the plan will be placed on the website along with an introduction describing the reason for the website posting. Questions raised by the Board and responses from Scott Harder will also be included.
  • The public is encouraged to direct their questions and comments to Scott Harder or the Board.
  • M. White indicated that approval of the Holding Tank Project could result in a significant reduction of the Plan’s $62.50 per month base charge per unit.


Accounting System/Audit

  • M. White, T. Hoff, and J. Pohlman are collecting the information needed for the audit and will have it ready for the accountants by April 15.


Northeast Technical Services

  • M. White spoke to Mike Appelwick.  Mr. Appelwick is currently communicating with his attorney and Fryberger to resolve a few remaining issues prior to Contract approval.


MPCA  I.S.T.S. Grant

  • Clerk J. Pohlman has continuing communication with the MPCA regarding the Sanborn’s request for payment, the status of the grant and the request for a fully executed copy of the grant extension.


Eastern Service Area

  • A listing of the potential funding sources was received from RLK.
  • M. White requested that RLK identify which sources can be used for which portions of the project.






Larry Olson asked if there were any new subscribers since the assessments last fall.  There has been one added.


Larry Olson would like to know in advance when Wagner would be working on his property.  The Board is working hard to provide this service to the property owners.


Larry also asked if it will be the property owners responsibility to locate utilities on their property prior to grinder pump installation.  The Board will look into this.


Ruth L. Carlson asked if it would take as long to decide on the meters as it did on the grinders?  No, there is only one choice.



There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 8:55 P.M.



J. Pohlman






Crane Lake Water & Sanitary District
P.O. Box 306 · Crane Lake, Minnesota 55725
© 2001 CLWSD