CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
April 7, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Dave Adams, Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: None.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a representative from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott welcomed Mark Anderson to the Board.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of March 3, 2010 and the Board of Managers’ Special Meeting of March 8, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Adams, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. March payroll expenses were as follows and include IRS and State of MN payments: Administrative – $1,273.37 and Operations – $3,008.99. The February 2010 financial statements were presented to the Board. The financial statements and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by D. Adams, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,811.00; Fryberger, et al – $187.20; Glorvigen – $180.00; Terry’s Operational Services – $123.40; and Lutefisk Tech. – $37.48. Operations: Lake Country Power – $967.51, $85.69, $55.37, & $96.54; Ely Utilities Commission – $540.00 Robert Congdon – $20.00; Crane Lake Chapel – $20.00; Voyagaire – $20.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,080.00. Operations Reserve Fund – $12,730.61. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- A motion was made by D. Adams, supported by B. Congdon, to approve Mark Anderson as an Authorized Signer for American Bank Account Nos. 2400680, 4440536 and 630000057. D. Adams, B. Congdon, D. Scott and R. Scott voted in favor; M. Anderson abstained and the motion carried.
- Fund Transfers: Chairman Scott requested the restating of motions made at the 3/3/07 Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting establishing the Capital Reserve Fund with sub-accounts and the Debt Service Fund with sub-accounts and the amounts to be transferred to each account each year. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to re-state the motion establishing the Capital Reserve Fund with a yearly transfer from the Operating Fund to that fund of $7,500; and establishing the Debt Service Fund with a quarterly transfer of $4,000 from the Operating Fund to that fund; and transferring $4,000 from the Operating Fund to the Debt Service Fund to be transferred to Debt Savings for the First Quarter of 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- A letter from Terrie Hoff requesting a salary increase from $50 per month to $100 per month for payroll work was considered by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to increase Terrie Hoff’s monthly salary from $50 to $100. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Initial Installation Review: Ordinance 3 will need to be reviewed as the District expands into the Eastern Service Area. Easement procedure will need to be established.
Collection System Expansion
- Funding: $100,000 of taconite surplus funds have been approved for the District to the Township. A motion was made by D. Adams, supported by B. Congdon to draft a letter to the Township requesting transfer of the funds from the Township to the District. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Engineering Design: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve R. Scott’s discussion with S.E.H. outlining the estimated total cost of the project to be presented at the JPB April Meeting and requesting $200,000 of the state bonding money appropriated to the JPB to match the $100,000 the District has received from the IRRRB to complete the extension along CSAH 24 within the ESA. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – April 7, 2010
- Mediation: Spreadsheets outlining costs to the District related to freezing and infiltration were distributed to the Board for consideration before sending to Fryberger for inclusion in the mediation process. A final cost will have to be developed and presented.
USDA-RD Debt Service Update
- Finalization Process: The District has signed documents re-amortizing the USDA-RD loans changing the interest & principal payment schedule and adjusting the interest percentage rate to 2.375%.
- The monthly meetings of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) and the VNP Clean Water Joint Powers Board (JPB) were held at the Cook Land Department on March 18, 2010. Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. Engineering presented the newly updated JPB Organizational Chart and the Frequently Asked Questions, both of which will be on their website with links to each area. St. Louis and Koochiching County websites should be ready in April. The Comprehensive Plan is moving along on track. The MPCA and the S.E.H. engineers have discussed various permit and regulation options pertaining to the Comprehensive Plan. The Namakan Basin JPB will end in July and the VNP Clean Water JPB will continue. A quorum was not present for that Board so there was discussion only.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: Citi Lites will provide lateral viewing services for the District.
- VLD Pump Removal Plan: The grinder stations will be removed by Portage Construction either this week or the beginning of next week.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: Some customer meters are showing elevated readings, but not much do to lack of rain.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report stating that all effluent limitations established by EPA and MPCA were met during March.
- Recirculation Pump: Braun Pump and Controls installed the new recirculation ABS dry pit pump on 3/3/10. The new pump runs smoother and quieter than the previous pumps.
- Stowage Building: Discussion will continue.
- A Draft 2010 Annual NPDES/SDS Permit Compliance Summary Report was received from the MPCA. T. Jackson will review the report and send any necessary corrections directly to the MPCA.
- MPCA Award: T. Jackson accepted the MPCA Commendation on behalf of the CLWSD at the Northland Inn, Brooklyn Park on 3/25/10.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: MAY 5, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.