CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
August 20, 2003 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
Study Session: 7:00 – 7:30PM
Jim Pucel reviewed the Project Status Report. Partial Payment Estimate No. 2 was sent to Mr. Clapp for approval and approval was received. More information has been received regarding Barnes grinder pumps. RLK met with Mike Appelwick of Northeast Technical Services & Jon Minne to review the Wastewater Treatment Plant control package submittal. John Jamnick met with Mike White and Mike Appelwick to discuss the Wastewater Treatment Plant operation proposal by NTS. RLK intends to make a recommendation on the grinder pumps at the next meeting.
Mike Appelwick of NTS answered questions from the Board and the Engineers: What would be the process for purchasing materials and replacement parts? NTS would place the orders and the bill would come directly to the District. Can NTS get quantity pricing to reduce cost? Yes, with some venders. Should the District have a list of approved venders? NTS has not provided this in the past, but they could; they usually work with local vendors when possible.
Mike Appelwick spoke of his experience with E-1 pumps and information he has reviewed on Barnes grinder pumps. The Barnes pump is physically smaller than the E-1 making it easier to pull out of the hole for repair; it is also completely submersible where the E-1 is not.
John Jamnick commented that the initial budget will need to be revisited to include NTS involvement; if NTS services are approved.
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:30PM.
Members present: Managers Bud Bystrom, Deena Congdon, Jim Sanborn, Darrell Scott, and Mike White.
Members absent: None
Also present: John Jamnick and Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Mike Appelwick of Northeast Technical Services, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel and 11 members of the community.
Motion by J. Sanborn, supported by D. Congdon to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of August 6, 2003. Motion carried.
- The correspondence was presented to the Board.
- A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott to place the correspondence on file to be acted upon as required. Motion carried.
- D. Congdon reported that the plat is nearly ready to be filed.
- There are questions on a few easements.
- There is not much change – Just waiting for signed easements to be received.
- After another meeting with Rob Scott, RLK feels they will be in a position to provide a recommendation on Barnes pumps to the Board.
- The maintenance of the pump is attractive.
- There is a man in Virginia who does repair work on Barnes pumps.
- There have been no freeze-up problems with the Barnes pumps to date according to Barnes.
- The key is proper installation.
- RLK is currently waiting for an answer on insulation from Barnes pumps.
- RLK plans to get information to the Board before the next Board Meeting so they may review prior to the meeting.
- A representative of Barnes pumps would be present for the first pump installations.
- M. White said the plant operator should also be present for the first pump installations.
- Barnes would have a procedure for avoiding freezing problems for homes or businesses that are closed for the winter season.
Plant Operator Decision
- A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by B. Bystrom to accept the NTS Proposal for Professional Services subject to the Engineer’s agreement and review of the contract by our attorney. Motion carried.
Environmental Financial Group
- M. White reviewed the Schedule of Events from Scott Harder.
- The schedule outlines events and activities required to consider and implement a 2004 property tax levy, 2004 WSA property tax levy, special assessments, and related items.
- It is planned to adopt an ordinance without a rate schedule on September 3, 2003.
- A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by J. Sanborn to accept the Calendar of Events provided by Scott Harder and place it into effect to assure there is a cash flow when the plant starts up. Motion carried.
Forecast 2003 – 2004 Budget/Levy
- M. White has been waiting for the court costs to complete the 2003 Forecast and 2004 levy amount. It is not likely that the answer will come soon.
- M. White will prepare the Forecast without this information. Scott Harder and Mike White will prepare the 2004 budget.
- The levy amount must be ready for Board approval on September 3, 2003 to be sent to the County by September 15, 2003.
Board Appointment Procedure
- The CLWSD and the Town of Crane Lake have each passed a resolution to move Board appointment from the County to the Town Board.
- Mary Frances Skala, Fryberger, Buchanan, et al has the resolutions and is in the process of forwarding them to the County and to the MPCA.
- The MPCA established the District and the Board appointment process.
Ordinance without Rates
- M. White will work on the ordinance this weekend to be able to send it to Mary Frances Skala of Fryberger, Buchanan, et al for her review and revision to remain within the timeframe of the “Calendar of Events”.
2002 Financial Statements
- The financial information was sent to the District’s accountant, Mr. Sterle, this week.
- 2002 Financial Statements will be received by the District soon.
- This is usually done in April or May but the Board has had other priorities.
M. White referred to the Project Requirements list provided to the Board prior to the last meeting. He invited the Board to furnish him with any other projects for the list as it will be updated monthly.
John Jamnick presented the contractor update. Wagner will be on site after Labor Day. Rice Lake has done the framing and rebar work and under building plumbing.
B. Bystrom asked why there was standing water at the plant site. John Jamnick answered that the excavation dirt pile was in the natural run off path. When the work is complete and the pile removed the water will run off.
The well will be dug soon. It will be 150’ south of the building. There is a lump sum price to dig the well.
B. Bystrom will check with the MPCA regarding their sampling of the lake.
PUBLIC COMMENT – There was none.
The next Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting will be on Wednesday, September 3 at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with a Study Session at 7:00PM.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 8:00PM