CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
August 3, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Mark Anderson and Darrell Scott.
Also present: Sewer Operator Terry Jackson and Anne, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of July 6, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. July 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $812.49 and Operations – $3,151.49. The June 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. The second quarter Quick Books entries were reviewed by Jennifer of Glorvigen. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Beste, requesting Jo Ann to research bank options due to charges being incurred from American Bank. All voted in favor and the motion carried. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $2,000.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $76.48; Crane Lake Chapel – $150.00; and RVS Software – $225.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $429.12, $96.57, $24.05 & $24.05; A-1 Services – $2,205.00; Anderson Canoe Outfitters – $605.00; Citi Lites – $100.00; Dennis Corcoran – $200.00; Gopher State One-Call – $4.35; Hawkins – $2,432.81; Pace Analytical – $280.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,207.20. Bills related to the insurance claim will be paid as funds are received from the insurance company and/or within 30 days. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept. The Board did not approve payment to S.E.H. for $3,083.00. Funds were transferred from S.A.R. Savings to the E.S.A. Fund to pay the Utility Systems of American pay application No. 4 approved at the July meeting.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- Portage Maintenance Support Contract: A copy of the District’s Job Title: Sewer Maintenance Worker contract will be sent to Terry Jackson for review.
- Ordinance Finalization: The Board agreed that Ordinance 3 was ready to be sent to Fryberger for finalization.
- Notary Renewal. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to renew the Clerk/Treasurer’s notary status. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim: Insurance Claim related invoices will be paid as money is received from the insurance company.
- Mediation: The mediation date is being considered for September as information is being collected.
- VNP Clean Waters Project: The July JPB monthly meeting was held at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall at 6:30PM, Tuesday, July 12th prior to the Town Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. The next meeting will be in Ash River. Gary Cerkvenik is compiling information from Randy Jenniges, S.E.H., to request further funding for the CSAH 24 Expansion. Future funding efforts will go towards expansion down Handberg Road.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: The International Joint Commission (IJC) will hold public hearings on the final report of its International Lake of the Woods and Rainy River Watershed Task Force August 15 – 20. The report contains recommendations on how the US and Canada can work together to better manage water quality, water quantity and related issues in the international Lake of the Woods and Rainy River watershed.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – August 3, 2011
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: Once explosion related work at the lift station is completed, parts will be ordered to complete culvert work.
- Lift Station Explosion: The new electrical panel was installed at the main lift station on July 25th. One pump was hooked up for automatic operation with a redundant float system. The pad was installed later in the week and the second pump was hooked up. Pumping problems have been prevalent since the pumps were placed into automatic service. Quality Flow Systems was contacted to resolve the problem. Samples collected at the plant for diesel and gasoline analysis had positive results for both diesel and gasoline. A notice will be sent with the August billing reminding customers what is considered acceptable septage.
- The single pump operating at the main lift station failed the morning of July 23rd. Viita was called to transfer sewage from the lift station to the plant. The problem turned out to be with Lake Country Power. Power was restored early July 24th. Lake Country Power will be contacted regarding related expenses.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Terry Jackson reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of July.
- A new polyblend will be tried to determine if better solids settling will result from using a polymer with alum for phosphorus removal and settling.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. was telephoned to participate in this portion of the meeting.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: Utility Systems of America (USA) has completed the construction portion of the project. Pay Request #5 (Final) was presented to the Board for approval consideration. The Pay Request included liquidated damages due to the contractor not finishing the work on time. Interest charges were applied due to the lateness of payment by the District for pay requests 1 and 2. The Board asked Randy to remove the interest charges as the lateness in payment was beyond the District’s control and resubmit the pay request.
- Assessment Certification: At the July meeting a resolution was passed by the Board adopting assessments for the CSAH 24 Expansion property owners. Property owners had 30 days from that date to pay the assessment. The District will now certify the assessment roll with the County Auditor. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to certify the assessment roll to the County Auditor. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Tasks for Completion: Punch List completion. Get permanent easements for grinder station locations and service lines outside of the right of way and record them.
- Comprehensive Plan Work: The Board discussed the support of the MN DNR in the anticipated future expansion down Handberg Road.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:50PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: SEPTEMBER 7, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FIRE HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.