CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
August 4, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams and Bill Congdon.
Also present: S.E.H. Representative Julie Kennedy, Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Cook News-Herald and 1 member of the community.
Minutes: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of July 7, 2010 and the Hearing Minutes of July 29, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. July payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $828.29 and Operations – $1,755.15. $14,032.42 in Special Assessment money was transferred from the S.A. Revenue Fund to the S.A.R. Savings account. Upon inquiry to St. Louis County regarding the low amount of levy money received, St. Louis County responded that they did not receive the District’s letter of December 2009 increasing the levy from $40,000 to $55,000; therefore the District will be short and will need to compensate in the next levy year. The 2nd Quarter books have been reviewed by Glorvigen. The June 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Fryberger, et al – $75.15 & $364.01. ESA: Cook News-Herald – $27.50 and S.E.H. $13,275.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $481.15, $90.79, $24.05 & $24.05; A-1 Services – $2,450.00; Anderson Outfitters – $605.00; Canoe Country Electric – $760.00; Citi-Lites – $50.00; Engineering America – $357.50; Gopher State One Call – $4.35; Hawkins – $1,085.65; NTS – $300.25; St. Louis County Auditor – $386.00; USA BlueBook – $163.99; and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,080.00 & $175.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $246.81 to the Department of Employment.
- Unemployment Issue: The Board did not approve payment to the Department of Employment.
- Costin Group Contract: The Costin Group contract will remain in effect until renewal is considered in January 2011.
- VLD Special Assessments: The Board discussed the need to address and correct the apportionment of special assessments at VLD. All of the original special assessments that carried over to VLD from Borderland are all assigned to the single parcel code # 308-0030-03536. This parcel is not a part of the VLD CIC. The sewer system installed within the WSA has been a significant benefit to all property owners within the WSA and particularly to VLD and their CIC. To correct the current error in special assessment assignments, the Board needs to go through the process to make a supplemental assessment and equally assign the remaining special assessments to the parcel codes within the CIC. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the process to correct the error from the original assessment assignments by reapportioning the current special assessment amount equally to the parcel codes within the CIC. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Survey Letters: Some EDU survey letters have been returned to the District. A second mailing will be sent with the August billing.
- Mediation: The Mediation scheduled for July 27, 2010 in Duluth was cancelled. No new date has been set.
- The monthly meetings of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) and the VNP Clean Water Joint Powers Board (JPB) were cancelled as there was not a quorum for either meeting. It does look like the Comprehensive Plan should be approved on August 19th.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – August 4, 2010
Collection System Expansion
- Property Owner Notifications: A preliminary assessment hearing was held on July 29th for the proposed improvement. The meeting went well.
- Special Assessments: The Board is considering special assessments for the ESA – CSAH 24 Expansion between $6,800 and $7,200. Providing service to vacant parcels was discussed.
- Bid Process: A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by M. Anderson, to adopt Resolution No. 2010-02 Ordering Advertisement for Bids. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Bid opening is planned for August 26, 2010 at 11:00AM at the Fellowship Hall.
- Easements: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. is working with Melissa Maloney of Fryberger on the easement process; which will be different from the process used in the WSA.
- License and Permits: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by D. Scott, to approve payment of licenses and permits should they be required by the MPCA. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: Citi Lites will be asked to look into the issues at the Darrell Scott home and the Church. No action reported.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: Corrective action has been completed at the Hamblin, Beckmann and Pine Point stations. More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the ‘fix’ works and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report stating that effluent limitations were maintained during July.
- A-1 Sewer Service transferred sludge from the plant to the Virginia Wastewater Treatment Plant. T. Jackson recommended that the two 2,200 gallon tanks be cleaned each fall when sludge is again transferred.
- A ‘squirt test’ was performed on the laterals. There is evidence of some solids recycle. A-1 Sewer Services will be scheduled to clean out the laterals.
- Recirculation Pump: The old re-circulating pump needs to be replaced. T. Jackson is considering options for pump replacement.
- The road to the plant is in need of repair.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) Betty Corcoran requested clarification of the VLD special assessment issue.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: SEPTEMBER 1, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.