CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
December 3, 2008 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott, Rob Scott and Mike White.
Members absent: Manager Dave Adams.
Also present: John Jamnick of RLK-Kuusisto, Jim Johnson and Don Lutch of SEH, Inc., Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and representatives from the Cook News-Herald and Voyageur Sentinel.
Opening Comments: R. Scott welcomed Jim Johnson and Don Lutch of SEH, Inc. to the meeting.
A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of November 12, 2008. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. November payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $687.89 and Operations – $1,496.39. The October 2008 Tax Apportionment money (Admin Levy – approximately $7,400, Special Assessment – approximately $23,000) was received from St. Louis County. The District’s 9-month CD matures on 12/4/08. The CD balance of $13,355.80 will be transferred to the S.A.R. Savings Account. The October 2008 financial statements reviewed by Jennifer Hanson-Goulet of Glorvigen were presented to the Board as were her comments. The Board was asked if the scheduled transfers of $7,500 from the Operating Fund to the Capital Reserve Fund and $4,000 from the Operating Fund to the Debt Service Fund should be made. A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon to delay the transfers. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board discussed the Rutchasky Enterprise invoices approved for payment at the previous meeting. The amount of the invoices was above the amount of the bid. Payment was made for the bid amount only. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White to approve payment of the $3,133.00 addition to the original bid. All voted in favor and the motion carried. Invoices-on-hand were reviewed with the Board. A motion was made by M. White, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Glorvigen – $100.00; Fryberger, et all – $245.70; Costin Group – $1,141.92; Crane Lake Chapel – $220.00 and RLK-Kuusisto – $1,005.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $733.80 & $67.54; Hawkins – $862.22; Terry’s Operational Services – $1,141.20 & $416.00; City of Virginia – $1,368.75; Rutchasky Enterprises – $3,133.00; Purdy Electric – $2,035.86 and Range Cornice – $175.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Audit: The 2006 Audit numbers are final except for depreciation. Adjustments will be made to reflect the 2006 audit.
- Tax Statement: There have been numerous comments received relating to the Special Taxing District portion of the Proposed Property Tax Statements for 2009. R. Scott explained that the Special Taxing District amounts to about 18% of the total property tax. The Special Taxing District is made up of 5 items divided approximately as follows: St. Louis County Housing Redevelopment Authority – .2378%, Arrowhead Regional Development Commission – .1560%, Railroad Authority – .7867%, Cook Hospital – 8.8841% and the CLWSD Administrative Levy – 8.2546%.
- Admin. Budget/Levy: The Board reviewed the District financial statements and agreed that the 2009 Levy amount sent to St. Louis County in September should remain at $55,000.
- Identity Theft Program: The Board received a letter of time extension to May 1, 2009 for the ITP form completion.
- Minimum Volume Charges: Discussion on this item will be tabled until infiltration issues are resolved.
- 2008/9 Rate Review-Analysis: Carl Brown’s recommendations will be discussed at the committee meeting scheduled by Rural Development on December 9th to review the District loan.
- Debt Service Plan (FEMA): Mike Larson of SEH, Inc. responded to R. Scott’s inquiry about FEMA grant dollars being available for debt relief. They are not available for this purpose.
- RD Meeting: A committee meeting has been scheduled by Rural Development on December 9th to discuss the payment of the District loan. R. Scott, B. Congdon, and Jo Ann Pohlman will attend along with representatives from Rural Development.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – December 3, 2008
Namakan Basin Project (S.E.H., MFS, RLK, Costin)
- Project Status Update: Jim Johnson reported that Gary Cerkvenik and Mike Larson are putting together a draft budget/plan and a plan for the Joint Powers Authority to consider with $50,000 from the County and $50,000 from the IRRRB. A second draft budget/plan will be put together for the later part of 2009 with an equal amount of money. Gary Cerkvenik is also working with St. Louis County Administrator Al Mitchell, legal staff, Kabetogama Township and the CLWSD to form the JPA. A meeting will be scheduled soon with representatives from each entity. The County Auditor will be the fiscal agent for project funds.
- VNP Superintendent Meeting: The Board agreed that since dollars have now been committed to the project, VNP Superintendent Mike Ward should be invited to discuss the project.
Legal Issues (MFS, EFG, RLK)
- NTS Invoices: A letter to NTS has been drafted by Fryberger, Buchanan outlining the Board’s final offer of $10,000 and willingness to pay $9,266.00 should there be ensuing related litigation. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott approving the draft to be sent to NTS’ representatives by Fryberger, Buchanan. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Sewer Freezing Issue (RLK)
- Elevated Pump Readings (ERP’s): RLK and Rutchasky Enterprises have arrived at a solution for the elevated pump readings. Corrective action will take place in the spring.
- Corrective Action: A committee meeting will be scheduled to review the corrective action to date.
- SEH System Analysis/Installation Specifics: SEH representatives have reviewed the facility and sent a proposal. SEH requested that the District provide a budget, specific needs and a priority list to narrow the focus of the proposal.
- Insurance Claim: There was nothing new to report.
RLK Engineering Status Report (RLK)
- CSAH 24 Expansion: One option for expansion was received from RLK. The Board requested that RLK provide both long term and interim options for those interested in purchasing property along CSAH 24.
- Service Connection Procedures: Procedures will be discussed at the committee meeting.
- Winterization Status: Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report with the Board. All effluent limitations were maintained during the month of November. Winterization of the plant has been completed.
- The annual biosolids report to the MPCA will be completed in December.
- Terry Jackson is working on a Phosphorus Monitoring Plan for the District, which is required by the NPDES/SDS Permit.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) – There was none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 7, 2009, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.