CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
December 5, 2012 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott & Rob Scott
Members absent: Mark Anderson
Also present: Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of November 7, 2012. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. November 2012 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $704.50 and Operations – $2,080.33. The October 2012 Financial Statements were presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Crane Lake Chapel – $125.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $1,240.60; Lutefisk Tech. – $170.00; LMCIT – $1,171.00; and Shirley Sanborn – $29.85. Operations: Lake Country Power – $727.76, $101.53, $44.89, $44.89 & $45.00; Citi-Lites – $25.00; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; Hawkins – $974.65; LMCIT – $2,786.00 & $900.00; Pace Analytical – $420.00; Jim Pohlman – $81.86; Rutchasky Enterprises – $875.00; and Terry’s Operational Services $478.00 & $1,519.49. S.A. Revenue Fund: Rural Development Loan Payment – $34,512.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of Quality Flow Invoice #25128 for $630.00.
- The October 2012 Tax Apportionment was received: $38,972.87-Levy; Special Assessments – $17,037.26.
- The Board was advised by Lutefisk Tech. that the computer operating system would need updating soon.
- Lutefisk also advised the Board that the website needed upgrading immediately to avoid an attack on the outdated, vulnerable system. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to go forward with the website upgrade. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- $34,512.00 will be transferred from S.A. Savings to S.A. Checking prior to the RD Interest payment for that amount on January 1, 2013.
- Fund Transfers: A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to transfer $2,000.00 from the Operating Fund to Capital Reserve Savings. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Grinder Repair: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to invoice Voyagaire $500.00 and DSR Sales $250.00 for grinder pump damage repair. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Admin Levy Review: The Board agreed that the proposed 2012, collectible 2013 tax levy of $80,000 should remain as certified to St. Louis County in September.
- DNR Payment: The CLWSD and the DNR are currently working out the payment procedure to replace income lost from the proposed purchase of Water’s Edge RV Park by the DNR for the upcoming three years.
- USDA-RD Debt Service: A spreadsheet projecting anticipated revenues and expenses through 2015 has been prepared as a working document for the District, the DNR and Rural Development.
- Rate Schedule Review: The Board agreed in 2012 to review the District billing rates yearly anticipating an approximate 3% raise each year. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to increase the Base Charge to $59.00 per EDU and the Volume charge to $13.30/ per 1,000 gallons beginning with the January 2013 billing. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Terry Jackson Contract Renewal: Terry Jackson will be contacted regarding his contract renewal for 2013.
- Property Transfers Within the District: The Board discussed ways to assure that the District knows of property transfers within the District and has asked to be included in ‘the loop’ by St. Louis County.
- CLWSD/Twp Merger: Tabled.
- Ordinance Review: Tabled.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – December 5, 2012
- RLK Arbitration: The District’s Attorney will file a demand for arbitration on Friday, December 7th if no response has been received from RLK by then.
- VNP Comprehensive Plan: There was no meeting last month.
- Randy Jenniges joined the meeting via telephone.
- CSAH 24 Easements: The remaining outstanding easement is currently with St. Louis County.
- Grinder Capacity Review: Information was provided to Randy for the project.
- DNR – RV Campground: There was no discussion.
- Hold & Haul within CLWSD: There was discussion.
- Handberg Road Expansion:
Holding Tanks: There was no update.
DNR – Landing: The DNR Landing on Handberg Road will be included in expansion plans.
Engineer Services Grant Request: A draft agreement was provided to the Board by Randy. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve signature of the Agreement for Professional Services between the CLWSD and Short Elliott Hendrickson, Inc. authorizing and describing the scope, schedule, and payment conditions for S.E.H.’s work on the Handberg Road Expansion. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Federal Grant Application: The Application has been submitted.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman read Terry Jackson report for November. Terry is working on a resolution for current TSS discharge standards and has outlined his approach in a letter to the MPCA.
- E-One Pump has been contacted to see if there are any special provisions for winterization along CSAH 24 Extension.
- Ziegler has been authorized to perform Level 3 (cooling system fluid replacement) and Level 9 (battery replacement) on our emergency back-up generator.
- The Daily Monitoring Reports (DMR’s) will be sent to the MPCA electronically beginning with the November report as is now required.
- A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, to increase the EDU’s at White Pines to include 4 RV sites rather than 2 as has been observed. A letter will be sent to White Pines explaining the additional EDU charge, $350 additional hook-up fee, and $500 charge for engineering services. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:10PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 9, 2013, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.