CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
December 7, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bruce Beste, Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: None.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman and Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of November 2, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The October 2011 Tax Apportionment money was received increasing the Admin Fund by $30,327.79 and Special Assessment Revenue by $13,792.05. Past due sewer bill payments of $841.17 were also received. November 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $717.99 and Operations – $2,131.99. The October 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: CNH – $23.41; CL Chapel – $150.00; Fryberger, Buchanan – $780.30 & $104.58; Glorvigen – $187.50; Lutefisk Tech. – $21.25; MN Rural Water Assoc. – $225.00 and Quill – $50.70. ESA Fund: Tom Holt – $536.00 (Upon engineer approval). Insurance Claim Fund: A-1 Services – $3,647.50. Operations: Lake Country Power – $769.72, $60.12, $24.05, $24.05 & $25.00; A-1 Services – $1,912.50; Crane Lake Lawn Service – $87.50; Hawkins – $1,530.98; Pace Analytical – $420.00; Jim Pohlman $81.02; Tufte/Norway Lodge – $1,232.00; Lance Ulen – $120.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,509.00 & $670.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of the following: St. Louis County-Public Works Dept – $4,477.43; S.E.H. – $3,083.00; USA – $1,816.00.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
EDU Error: An error of $1,232.00 was made on the Tufte/Norway Lodge sewer bills. Refund approval was made above.
Rate Schedule: B. Beste and J. Pohlman met throughout the month of November to compile information to present to the Board for a rate increase consideration. The Board discussed their options. A motion was made by B. Congdon to increase base charges by 3% and usage charges by 3%. The motion died for lack of support. A motion was made by R. Scott to increase the base charges by 3% plus and additional 2% to cover the increase in debt payments and the usage charges by 3%. The motion died for lack of support. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to increase base charges by 3% and usage charges by 3%. B. Congdon, M. Anderson, B. Beste and D. Scott voted in favor; R. Scott voted against and the motion carried. A notice of increase will be included with the December 2011 billing.
Levy: The District has the responsibility to review the proposed 2011, collectible in 2012 Levy submitted to the County in September in December of each year. The Board decided that the September levy submission should not be increased or decreased and would remain at $88,710.00.
- Portage Maintenance Support Contract: The contract provided by Fryberger, Buchanan will be sent to Rutchasky Enterprises for signature and return.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim: The current Lift Station Explosion insurance claim will be closed out and a new claim is being opened by Allied Adjusters to address the biosolid transportation and processing charges acquired by the District as a result of the explosion.
- Proposed Property Tax/Special Taxing District/Scheuring Letter: An emailed letter was received from Mr. Scheuring, who has property on the Vermilion Falls road, inquiring as to the benefit of his being included in the District. A response will be sent to Mr. Scheuring.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – December 7, 2011
- Delinquent Accounts: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to adopt Resolution No. 2011-04 Certifying Unpaid and Delinquent Charges of benefited property owners to the St. Louis County Auditor for collection as other taxes are collected as listed on Exhibit A. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Mediation: R. Scott was expecting information from Fryberger, Buchanan today on the mediation; which was not received. December is still targeted for the mediation process.
- VNP Clean Waters Project: R. Scott will address outstanding ESA CSAH 24 Expansion funding issues, including the interest owed to USA for late payments due to the District’s late receipt of grant funds, with the JPB board at the December meeting. Gary Cerkvenik is working on bonding legislation for further expansion in the ESA.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: There will probably be no report until spring.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. was telephoned to participate in this portion of the meeting.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: A new Payment Application No. 5 was submitted to the Board by S.E.H. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by R. Scott, to approve Payment Application No. 5 including Change Order No. 2 (Increase of $4,585.17 for interest charges) and Change Order No. 3 (Decrease of $536.00 for Holt driveway work performed by customer) for $6,128.73. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- USA Service Call Invoice: An invoice was received from USA for a service call for grinder pump start up in the ESA. R. Jenniges will review.
- Easements: The easements were rejected by the County. R. Jenniges is working on the easement revisions to be resubmitted.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: Heat tape installation is scheduled for this week.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reported that all effluent limitations were met during the month of November. Chemical dosages are being adjusted for lower dry weather flows.
- Sludge was removed from the recirculation tank by A-1 Services. T. Jackson is working with Allied Adjusters to have this work covered by the insurance claim.
- Two E-One grinder pumps were delivered to the vendor for repair. The service will be covered under existing warranty.
- T. Jackson submitted a letter to S.E.H. stating that he did not feel that the District was responsible for the service call provided by USA related to the new E-One pump operation.
- The heat tapes have been activated at the RV Park and White Pines manholes.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 4, 2012, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.