CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
February 20, 2008 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:32P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Rob Scott and Mike White.
Members absent: Managers Dave Adams and Darrell Scott, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Minutes Recorder Terrie Hoff, representatives from the Cook News-Herald and Voyageur Sentinel.
A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of January 2, 2008. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Chairman Rob Scott presented the correspondence to the Board. A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required.
R. Scott reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. The 2006 Audit was still being completed. Current Debt Service Fund balance is $13,436.81 following the annual debt payment to Rural Development. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White to place $13,000.00 of the Debt Service Fund in a 9 month CD at 4.40% interest and the remaining amount and quarterly transfers from G.C. Operating in a Money Market Savings Account at 2% interest in March; the CD funds would move to the MM Savings when the certificate matures. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The December 2007 Financial Reports, reviewed by Glorvigen, were presented to the Board. January payroll expenses amounting to Administrative – $1,510.25 and Operations – $2,946.81, including Federal and State payments were presented to the Board. Invoices-on-hand were reviewed with the Board. A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Glorvigen – $100.00; Fryberger, et all – $869.00 and Costin Group – $500.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $77.10, $76.08 & $1,116.07; NTS – $36.00, $72.00 & $38.00; Hawkins – $1,107.71; Terry’s Operational Services – $1,354.50; One Call Concepts – $100.00 and City of Virginia – $1,200.00. Insurance Claim Fund: RLK-Kuusisto – $6,563.27 & $1,866.98 and NTS – $2,446.11. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Emergency Response Plan (ERP): T. Jackson will work with John Jamnick of RLK to finalize the ERP to be submitted to the MPCA.
- Capital Asset Plan: Jennifer Hanson of the Glorvigen Accounting Firm is in the process of comparing and reviewing CLWSD with the North Shore plan.
- Newspaper Designation: Motion by B. Congdon, supported by M. White to name the Cook News-Herald as the designated newspaper for the District. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Waters Edge RV Park EDU Assignment: Correspondence was discussed and the billing to be changed accordingly.
- Seigley EDU Assignment: Notification was sent to Mr. Seigley that his EDU assignment had been changed from 2 to 1.5.
- Costin Group Proposal: R. Scott reported that a minimum processing of 200,000 gallons per day is required to apply for the phosphorous grant. The District processes 1,000 per day. The Chair will provide the background information to Costin to assist with communication with Nancy Johnson of the MPCA to see if an exception can be made for the District. Government sources, including David Dill will be contacted. The Costin Group’s proposal also included finding Federal supporting funds to work with the Board to reduce debt. A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon to approve the Costin Group proposal of $750 per month for one year. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
2008/09 Rate Review
- Carl Brown Analysis: Manager Bill Congdon stated that he would like to find out what the ramifications are if the rates are not raised immediately as per Carl Brown’s analysis. The issue was tabled until the March meeting.
Financial (MFS, EFG, RLK)
- Grant Funds: At this time the Board is waiting for further information on grant monies.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – February 20, 2008
Legal Issues (MFS, EFG, RLK)
- Service Connection Procedures: Nothing new to report.
- O & M Contracts: Chairman Rob Scott will follow-up with Mary Francis Skala.
- Township Community Action Plan/Options: A meeting with Township Supervisor Jerry Pohlman and Managers Bill Congdon and Mike White concluded that there wouldn’t be any new actions until the debt issue is settled.
Sewer Freezing Issue (RLK)
- Permanent Fix: J. Jamnick was not present to report. The Board stated that everything seems to be working.
- Insurance Claim: There is nothing more that can be done with the invoices. A formal letter has not yet been received to confirm that the League of MN Cities’ litigation is over. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. White to write Mary Francis Skala for direction on how to proceed with open invoices of $39,000 plus.
- Elevated Pump Readings/Hamblin: A letter received from Mr. Hamblin stated that he would pay volume charges recorded by his water meter rather than the District’s readings and would not perform District recommended winterization procedures when away from his property. A motion was made by M. White, supported by B. Congdon to write to Mary Francis Skala and RLK-Kuusisto requesting advice on the direction the District should take when District procedure is not followed and who incurs risk/liability should damage to the station occur when District recommended procedure is not followed. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
RLK Engineering Status Report (RLK)
- Punch List/Seigley: A letter was received from Mr. Seigley regarding a punch list item concerning his driveway. The information has been forwarded to John Jamnick of RLK-Kuusisto. Bent rails in Mr. Seigley’s grinder station will also be addressed by Mr. Jamnick.
- WSA Expansion: There was no discussion.
- Stahnke Connections: There was no discussion.
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report stating that the plant continues to operate well with discharge limits remaining within required standards. Filters are being rotated to avoid plugging and freezing.
- NTS Punch List: The GPS has been returned to the District. The weed trimmer will be delivered by NTS or picked up in the future.
- Winterization Update: Chairman Scott will ask John Jamnick and Terry Jackson what response plan is in effect should freezing occur.
- MPCA-Compliance monitoring Survey Report (O&M Manual). T. Jackson will communicate with J. Jamnick on completion of the manual.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) – None
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15PM.
T. Hoff, Minutes Recorder
NEXT MEETING: MARCH 5, 2008, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.