CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
February 6, 2002 – 7:30 PM
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman David Dill at 7:30PM.
Members present: Managers Jim Sanborn, Darrell Scott, Mike White, Deena Congdon and Darrell Scott.
Also present: John Jamnick and Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto Ltd., Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman and 3 members of the community.
Motion by D. Congdon, supported by D. Dill to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of January 9, 2002. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by D. Scott, supported by D. Congdon to approve the January Treasurer’s Report and payment of bills as follows: $267.50 to Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, $50.53 to Citizens Communications, $86.10 to the Cook News Herald, $49.99 to Quill Corp. and $575.00 to Cope & Peterson. Motion carried unanimously.
- Clerk J. Pohlman presented the correspondence to the Board. M. White recommended that it be filed and acted upon as required.
Web Site Status Report
- D. Congdon reported that the web site is up to date excepting the history for the home page and the maps.
- J. Jamnick stated that the maps for the web site would soon be available.
- D. Dill wrote the information for the home page and it will soon be on the web site.
CDBG Grant Extension
- Copies of a revised addendum are being sent to the Board from St. Louis County extending the grant until 2003 rather than 2002.
- Motion by D. Congdon, supported by D. Scott authorizing M. White to sign the addendum when it is received. Motion carried unanimously.
- Motion by M. White, supported by D. Scott to execute Resolution #020602 authorizing the Chairman and the Clerk to execute Addendum No. 1. Motion carried unanimously.
Rural Development – Funding Status
- The Interim Financing moneys should be available soon. The District will have that money before the Grant money. The Engineering fees now due will be paid from the Interim Financing.
- D. Dill will ask for a proposal for bonding from Jurran & Moody to compare with Minnesota Rural Water Finance Corporation’s Bond Counsel’s quote. A decision on bonding will be made at the next Board meeting.
- Signing of the Compliance Forms and the Resolution of Application from the Minnesota Public Facilities Authority (PFA) was tabled pending D. Dill’s review of the documents. The PFA works in partnership with Rural Development and is providing 50% of the grant funds through their Wastewater Infrastructure Fund (WIF) program.
Rural Development – Legal Approval and meeting with Cope & Peterson
· First priority is to get Right-of-Way access to the plant-site property, along the county road and at the discharge site.
- Second priority is to get individual property owner easements. John Jamnick and staff of RLK-Kuusisto are currently doing the field work on the properties being served.
- A detailed map of the individual properties will be made by RLK-Kuusisto.
- There are about 80 residences needing easements. Cope & Peterson will do the legal work for these easements.
- M. White stated that any correspondence regarding easements that Cope & Peterson would send to property owners should be reviewed by the Board.
- Motion by M. White, supported by D. Congdon that D. Dill approve the format for the easements. Motion carried unanimously.
- There was much discussion on the easement process.
- A letter to be sent to property owners is being drafted advising them of the easement procedure. A map showing a typical residential connection will be included.
- Roger Clapp of Rural Development has requested a schedule of Project Plans through May 2002. D. Dill will take care of this request.
RLK-Kuusisto Progress Report
- The staff is completing the surveying and is working on the flow system.
- The EDUs must be verified and consideration must be given to possible new construction.
- J. Jamnick will get the budget detail requested to M. White in the near future.
- A letter has been written to St. Louis County describing the project and inquiring into their participation in funding improvements to the Gold Coast road.
- J. Jamnick presented a written Project Status Report.
Property Owner Responsibilities
- The Board has scheduled a study session at 9 AM and Special Public Meeting at 11 AM for February 19, 2002 at the Crane Lake Chapel. The meetings are open to the public.
- The study session will address questions that relate to the property owner’s responsibilities regarding current and future hook-ups to the system.
Financial Statements – Year 2001
- Motion by D. Congdon, supported by J. Sanborn authorizing M. White to sign Sterle & Co, Ltd’.s letter describing their terms, objectives and limitations of services. Motion carried unanimously.
Board Designates – Accountant, Attorney, Bank & Newspaper
- Motion by J. Sanborn, supported by D. Scott to retain the designates as follows: Sterle & Co, Ltd – Accountant, Cope & Peterson – Attorney, Mt. Iron State Bank – Bank, and the Cook News Herald – Newspaper.
- M. White asked that J. Jamnick provide a letter stating how he we will approach the rest of the project for the whole District.
M. White will write a letter to Jessie Anderson of the MPCA requesting information on the water quality sampling done in 2001.
PUBLIC COMMENTS – None
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.