CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
February 3, 2010 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Managers Dave Adams and Mark Anderson.
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a representative from the Cook News-Herald.
Election of Officers: A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon that the officers remain the same with Robert Scott as Chairman, Bill Congdon as Vice-Chairman, and Jo Ann Pohlman as Clerk/Treasurer. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of December 2, 2009. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. December & January payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $650.39 & $549.15 and Operations – $1,761.14 & $1,969.65. The November and December 2009 financial statements were presented to the Board. The District books were reviewed by Jennifer Hanson-Goulet of Glorvigen for the 4th Quarter. Current balances were reviewed. Jennifer feels the District is managing their income and expenses as well as can be expected considering the freezing and RD loan issues. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of December 2009 and January 2010 bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00; Fryberger, et al – $351.00, $1,014.70, & $569.10; Glorvigen – $115.00; MN Rural Water Assoc. – $200.00; Postmaster – $132.00; Quill – $83.35; Terrie Hoff – $7.50 & St. Louis County Auditor – $1.60. Operations: Lake Country Power – $$1,108.66, $94.54, $48.41, $77.99, $1,085.59, $35.35, $57.88 & $101.05; A-1 Services – $1,960.00; Canoe Country Electric – $275.00 & $440.00; City of Virginia – $1,050.00; DVS Renewal – $20.25; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; Hawkins – $1,083.51; Department of Employment – $544.82; Quality Flow – $1,016.45, Terry’s Operational Services – $1,080.00, $275.00 & $1,116.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Board Designates: A motion was made by B. Congdon, Supported by D. Scott to designate the following for the District in 2010:
Cope & Peterson remains as council as needed for the District.
Fryberger, Buchanan Law Firm remains as primary council for the District.
Glorvigen, Theis remains as the accounting firm for the District.
Any bank may be used with American Bank being designated as the financial institution for the District.
Environmental Financial Services remains as a financial consulting firm on an as needed basis for the District.
Carl Brown Consulting remains as a financial consulting firm on an as needed basis for the District.
Costin Group remains as consulting firm for the District.
SEH Engineering firm remains for system review.
Terry’s Operational Services remains as Plant Operator.
Jim Pohlman and Lance Ulen remain as Maintenance Workers.
Deanne Howard and Terrie Hoff remain to provide administrative work.
The Cook News-Herald remains as the District Official Newspaper.
Rental payment to the Crane Lake Chapel is increased from $20 to $25 per meeting.
Meeting Date, Time & Location: First Wednesday of each month, 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall.
Posting Places: Church, Post Office, Fire Hall and area resorts when open.
Minutes Distribution: On website and mailed by written request.
Copy and Information Request Policy: Charge of 25 cents per copy (includes labor) for copy requests and $25 per hour for other labor requests.
Salaries: Jim – $18/hour, Lance – $15/hour, Jo Ann – $18/hour. Terrie & Deanne – $50/month.
Mileage: Follow state guideline which fluctuates and is currently 50 cents per mile.
All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – February 3, 2010
- VLD EDU’s: The discussion of previous payments for EDU’s is ongoing.
- Freezing: Work continues at the legal level.
USDA-RD Debt Service Update
- Fryberger, Buchanan received a request for the Bond transcript from the USDA-RD legal representative on Wed, February 3, 2010. A decision to send the Bond transcript to RD was tabled due to the late request for the information. The Board will discuss with Fryberger, Buchanan.
- The monthly meetings of the Namakan Basin Joint Powers Board (JPB) and the VNP Clean Water Joint Powers Board (JPB) were held at the Cook Land Department on December 3, 2009 and January 28, 2010. Julie Kennedy of S.E.H. Engineering reported that over 60% of the 648 surveys mailed had been received. SEH will follow up with phone calls to encourage completion and return of the surveys. SEH continues to provide JPB status on their website. A list of Frequently Asked Questions is available on their website for review. Letters have been received from others outside the designated boundaries of the Comprehensive Plan wishing to be included. These requests could be considered as part of a potential follow-on plan. The next meeting will be held on February 18, 2010.
- Corrective Action Status: There seems to be some freezing occurring; however, the system remains operational. Most freezing issues occur late February and into March, if they are going to happen.
- VLD Pump Removal Plan: The grinder stations will be removed when weather permits.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: Corrective action will begin in the spring.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report with the Board. All State and Federal effluent limitations were met during the months of December and January.
- Gopher State One Call Backup: Citi Lites will take care of any Gopher State One Calls and will be sending a contract soon.
- Recirculation Pump Replacement: T. Jackson ordered the ABS Dry Pit Submersible Pump from Braun Pump and Controls to be received and installed soon.
- Ziegler Power Systems provided a quote of $730.00 to provide annual inspection of the emergency generator. This inspection will be authorized for September or October.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit) There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: MARCH 3, 2010, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.