CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
January 19, 2005 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:30 P.M.
Members present: Managers Bud Bystrom, Deena Congdon, Darrell Scott, and Michael White.
Members absent: Rob Scott.
Also present: Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto, Jim Pohlman of NTS, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, reporters from the Cook News-Herald and the Voyageur Sentinel, and 1 member of the community.
A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of January 5, 2005. Motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Bystrom, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. Motion carried.
M. White presented a list of invoices on hand for payment. A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Congdon, to pay the following bills: Administrative: Frontier – $61.96. Plant Operations: Dave Hurd – $49.50, Frontier – $43.76 & $101.85, and NTS – $6,080.27. Gold Cost Project: EFG – $270.00, Rice Lake Construction – $3,022.90, and Wagner – $1,510.50. Motion carried.
RLK-Kuusisto Project Status Report
- Flow Meter Advantage/Disadvantage & WWTF Improvement Quote – Requested information and price quotes have not been received from suppliers yet. RLK will prepare a written report on both issues when information is received.
- WWTF Heating – The plant will need additional heating. RLK will report on this along with the above mentioned issues.
- A Certificate of Substantial Completion needs to be signed for the treatment facility.
- Change Orders and Partial Payment Estimates were signed.
NTS Project Status Report
- Facility Operations – Jim Pohlman reported that the plant is operating well.
- Outstanding plant issues are being addressed.
- Jim responded to one pump alarm; the pump will be monitored, as the reason for the alarm was not determined. The lift station alarm was triggered by a power outage. The Bob Mohr pump was replaced because of possible stator failure.
- Individual pump station readings will be compared to the lift station readings monthly.
- D. Congdon met with Jennifer at Glorvigen’s to review accounting questions. It was suggested that three people should participate in the cash accounting for checks and balances purposes.
- Jennifer will begin working on the 2004 audit when year-end information is received from the CLWSD. Clerk Jo Ann will be responsible for this project.
- Jennifer will be sending a letter stating their fees for the year.
- M. White requested a written procedure for the bill paying practices within the CLWSD.
- M. White has requested that Scott Harder of EFG look at financial reports of other districts for our reference.
Eastern Service Area Plan Update/Capacity Allocation Plan
- M. White is scheduled to meet with John Jamnick of RLK, Gary Cerkvenik of Costin Group tomorrow to discuss a plan as to wastewater capacity allocation information requested by the County and the MPCA. This plan will be used in funding requests.
- Scott Harder of Environmental Financial Group and Mary Francis Skala of Fryberger are reviewing permitting procedures for service connections.
- A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by B. Bystrom, that Glorvigen, Berg, Theis, Lind & Company remain the designated accounting firm for the District. Motion carried.
- A motion was made by M. White to designate the Voyageur Sentinel as the District’s official newspaper due to their extensive coverage in the Crane Lake area and the lack of a District newsletter. Discussion followed. The motion died for lack of a second.
- The Financial Consultant and Funding Consultant designations were not addressed.
Olson EDU Change Request
- Larry Olson requested a change in classification for his rental cabin.
- A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by B. Bystrom to change the EDU classification on the Olson rental cabin from 1 EDU to .5 EDU’s as it meets the commercial description by lodging tax payment, sales tax payment and advertisement as a rental unit with the retroactive portion of his request being addressed at a later date. Motion carried.
- Scott Harder of EFG has been asked to review retroactive payments for the District.
M. White asked if the Board would approve replacing his failed copier/fax machine as it has been used substantially for District use. A motion was made by D. Congdon, supported by B. Bystrom to replace M. White’s copier/fax with a $200 maximum to be spent. Motion carried with M. White abstaining.
PUBLIC COMMENT – None
There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM
J. Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: FEBRUARY 2, 2005, AT THE CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL AT 7:30 P.M.