CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
January 4, 2012 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Mark Anderson, Bill Congdon, and Rob Scott. Manager Bruce Beste arrived at 7:40PM.
Members absent: Manager Darrell Scott
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Opening Comments: Chairman Scott told those present that there would be a Closed Meeting to discuss the mediation with RLK following the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting.
Election of Officers: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson to table election of officers until the February meeting when full Board participation is anticipated. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by M. Anderson, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of December 7, 2011. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by R. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer/Accountant Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. $34,512.00 was transferred out of the Special Assessment Revenue Savings into the Special Assessment Revenue Checking Fund for the Rural Development loan interest payment on 1/3/12. Notices of the 2012 rate increase were sent with the December billing with no comments received. December 2011 payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $618.98 and Operations – $3,176.00. The November 2011 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Congdon, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,000.00 and Bloomers Floral & Gift – $27.79. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1,374.03, $60.12, $24.05 & $25.00; City of Virginia – $4,950.00; DVS Renewal – $21.75; Hawkins – $1,538.55; Pace Analytical – $280.00 and Terry’s Operational Services – $1,217.31. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of the following: St. Louis County-Public Works Dept – $4,477.43; S.E.H. – $3,083.00; USA – $1,816.00.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
USDA-RD Interest Payment: The interest only payment of $34,512.00 was made. A letter was sent to the USDA-RD stating the District’s significant issue with handling the principal and interest payments downstream.
- Lift Station Insurance Claim 2: A new claim has been opened by Allied Adjusters to address the biosolid transportation and processing charges acquired by the District as a result of the lift station explosion in June. Applicable invoices will be submitted for consideration to Allied Adjusters.
- T. Jackson Contract Renewal: A motion was made by B. Beste, supported by B. Congdon, to extend the current contract until the February meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Board Designates: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the following designates for the District in 2012 with the exception of wages. There was discussion and the motion was removed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by B. Beste, to approve the following designates for the District in 2012, with the exception of Lance Ulen’s wages to be revisited at the February meeting. B. Congdon, B. Beste and R. Scott voted in favor. M. Anderson voted against and the motion carried.
Cope & Peterson remains as council as needed for the District.
Fryberger, Buchanan Law Firm remains as primary council for the District.
Glorvigen, Theis remains as the accounting firm for the District.
Any bank may be used with American Bank being designated as the financial institution for the District.
Carl Brown Consulting remains as a financial consulting firm on an as needed basis for the District.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 4, 2012
Administration, Board Designates (Cont.)
Costin Group remains as consulting firm for the District.
SEH remains as engineering firm for the District.
Terry Jackson of Terry’s Operational Service remains as Plant Operator.
Jim Pohlman and Lance Ulen remain as Maintenance Workers.
Rutchasky Enterprises remains on contract with the District.
Deanne Howard and Terrie Hoff remain to provide Administrative Work.
CNH remains as the official newspaper for the District.
Rental payment to the Crane Lake Chapel remains the same at $25 per meeting.
Meeting Date & Time & Location: First Wed of each month, 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall.
Posting Places: Church, Post Office, Fire Hall and area resorts when open with 1 posting annually. Meeting changes will be posted as they occur.
Minutes Distribution: On website and mailed by written request.
Copy and Information Request Policy: Charge of 25 cents per copy (includes labor) for copy requests and $25 per hour for other labor requests.
Salaries: Jim – $18/hour, Jo Ann – $18/hour, Terrie – $100/month & Deanne – $50/month.
Lance – $15/hour – Tabled until the February meeting.
Mileage: Follow state guideline which fluctuates and is currently .51 cents per mile.
- Payroll Payment: A motion was made by M. Anderson, supported by B. Beste, to pay Lance Ulen twice per month. M. Anderson voted in favor. B. Beste, B. Congdon and R Scott voted against and the motion did not carry. Terry Jackson will be consulted on hourly rates and Terrie Hoff will be consulted on payroll processing twice monthly prior to the February meeting.
- Mediation with USA: Randy Jenniges of S.E.H, District Chairman Rob Scott, and Jim Pucel of USA will meet on January 19th to discuss USA’s current pay request.
- Mediation with RLK: The mediation will be discussed at the closed meeting following this Board of Managers’ meeting.
- VNP Clean Waters Project: R. Scott addressed outstanding ESA CSAH 24 Expansion funding issues, including the interest owed to USA for late payments due to the District’s late receipt of grant funds, with the JPB board at the December meeting. A letter was sent to the Commissioners on 12/19/11 formally addressing the issue with no response received to date.
- IJC Watershed Task Force: A report is anticipated by the end of January.
- Randy Jenniges of S.E.H. emailed his report.
- CSAH 24 Project Status: The Board approved the pay request and corresponding change orders at the December meeting. There will be further input after the January 19th meeting mention above.
- Easements: The easements were rejected by the County. R. Jenniges will resubmit the easements, with County requested revisions, upon receipt of District checks for easement processing, which were mailed to S.E.H. on 12/31/11.
- Comprehensive Work: This is on hold until the VNP Clean Waters JPB meets in January. S.E.H. is providing a proposal to that board for the next 18 months to help develop projects like the CLWSD Eastern Service Area Extension. If S.E.H. is approved for this service, R. Jenniges will dialogue with the Board at the next CLWSD meeting.
- Box Culvert: A summary of S.E.H. costs and invoice were provided to the District for reimbursement from the County.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done as funds permit.
- Culvert Sewer Upgrade: Heat tape installation has not been completed.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 4, 2012
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- Jim Pohlman reviewed Terry Jackson’s report. All effluent limitations were met during the month of December.
- Effluent Pump #1: The motor starter for this pump at the plant stuck in the closed position. The plant is currently running automatically on pump #2. A replacement motor starter has been ordered and will be installed soon. A new electric heater is also on order to replace the one that has been out of service.
- Annual Biosolids Report: The annual biosolids report has been submitted in accord with MPCA requirements.
- Culvert Heat Tapes: Ron Rutchasky informed Terry Jackson that the heat tapes are still not installed in the culvert. Needed parts should be delivered next week to complete the project.
PUBLIC COMMENTS (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: FEBRUARY 1, 2012, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.