CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS REGULAR MEETING
January 5, 2005 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Michael White at 7:30 P.M.
Members present: Managers Bud Bystrom, Darrell Scott, and Michael White.
Members absent: Deena Congdon and Rob Scott.
Also present: Jim Pohlman of NTS, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel and 1 member of the community. Jim Pucel of RLK-Kuusisto arrived at 7:35PM.
A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 15, 2004. Motion carried.
M. White reviewed the Treasurer’s Report and presented bills to be paid. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Bystrom, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills as follows: Administrative: Quill – $115.37 & $23.41; MN Rural Water – $195.00; RLK-Kuusisto – $240.00; and Glorvigen, Theis, Lind & Co. – $4,000.00. Facilities Operation & Maintenance: MN DVS – $18.50; Nagurski Oil – $203.84; Hawkins – $111.49 & $157.98; Anderson’s Outfitters – $605.00; Lake Country Power – $481.36 & $27.00; and NTS – $5,673.75. Facilities Construction: Glorvigen, Theis, Lind & Co. – $3,500.00; Cope & Peterson – $330.00; RLK-Kuusisto – $755.00 & $1,650.00; and EFG – $570.00. Motion carried.
The correspondence was presented to the Board. A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. Motion carried.
RLK-Kuusisto Project Status Report
- The MPCA was contacted regarding the influent flow monitoring and it appears that influent flow monitoring is not required as previously understood. M. White asked J. Pucel why RLK did not come to the Board before proceeding with this action. J. Pucel responded that this was an inquiry only and the Board may still wish to include influent flow monitoring at the plant. There is measurement of inflow at the lift station; however, it is not as accurate as monitoring would be at the plant. M. White requested that J. Pucel provide information on the advantages and disadvantages of having a flow meter at the plant.
- A request was sent to Rice Lake for a quote on wastewater treatment facility improvement. This would be an additional expenditure for the District. J. Pucel will provide the quote to the Board along with explanation of why these improvements were not included in the original bid.
- A letter was sent to Rice Lake requesting repairs to air relief valves in the plant.
- A larger heater will be installed in the control panel at the main lift station.
- Wagner Invoices. RLK provided a list of work done within the easement by RLK at the expense of the Project rather than individuals. Anyone questioning the footage of pipe provided by the Contractor or RLK may contact the Clerk for this information.
NTS Project Status Report
- Facility Operations – Jim Pohlman reported that the plant is operating well.
- New impellers have been ordered for the recirculation sand filter feed pumps to remedy the noise in the pump system.
- Lake Country Power finds no power imbalance at the main lift station as reported.
- The floor flood alarm has been installed and the floor water leakage has been corrected.
NTS Project Status Report (Cont.)
- A temporary heater has been installed at the treatment plant as the building heaters with the air exchanger does not provide the required output to maintain the building heat during cold weather periods. RLK has been notified and is looking into a remedy.
- User Guides – User guides have been modified as per the Board’s request and are currently printed and laminated for customer distribution. M. White requested that Jim Pohlman ask Mike Appelwick when and how they will be distributed.
- D. Congdon was not present to report.
- M. White stated that there would be a recommendation at the next meeting on an accounting and reporting system procedure.
Eastern Service Area Plan Update and Capacity Allocation Plan
- M. White would still like to meet with John Jamnick of RLK, Gary Cerkvenik of Costin Group, and Rob Scott to discuss a plan as to wastewater capacity allocation information requested by the County and the MPCA.
- M. White will talk to Scott Harder, Environmental Financial Group, regarding permitting procedure for EDU requests. Mary Francis Skala of Fryberger has been contacted in this regard.
Election of Officers
- B. Bystrom made a motion to reappoint the existing officers for 2005 – Michael White as Chairman, Rob Scott as Vice-Chairman, and Deena Congdon as Treasurer. The motion was supported by D. Scott. Motion carried.
- A motion was made by B. Bystrom, supported by D. Scott, that bank designates, American Bank of Orr for administrative business and Border State Bank of International Falls for project business be reappointed and that attorney designates, Alicia Cope of Cope & Peterson and Mary Frances Skala of Fryberger, et al be reappointed. Motion carried. The designation of accountant and newspaper will be made at the next meeting.
A letter was received from Larry Olson requesting an EDU change. The request will be reviewed and a recommendation for the EDU reduction and related retroactive requirement will be made at the next meeting.
Dorothy Mohr is concerned about Jim Mohr’s well as they have had murky and sandy water since blasting was done by Wagner 20 feet from their well. Jim Pucel will look into the matter for the Mohrs.
There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 8:25PM
J. Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: JANUARY 19, 2005, AT THE CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL AT 7:30 P.M.