CRANE LAKE WATER & SANITARY DISTRICT (CLWSD)
BOARD OF MANAGERS’ REGULAR MEETING
January 5, 2011 – 7:30 P.M.
CRANE LAKE FIRE HALL
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Rob Scott at 7:30P.M.
Members present: Managers Bill Congdon, Darrell Scott and Rob Scott.
Members absent: Dave Adams and Mark Anderson
Also present: Sewer Maintenance Worker Jim Pohlman, Clerk/Treasurer Jo Ann Pohlman and a reporter from the Cook News-Herald.
Prior to the meeting William Congdon and Darrell Scott affirmed their Oaths of Office.
Election of Officers: A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the officers remain the same with Robert Scott as Chairman, Bill Congdon as Vice-Chairman, and Jo Ann Pohlman as Clerk/Treasurer. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Minutes: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the minutes of the Board of Managers’ Regular Meeting of November 3, 2010. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Correspondence: The correspondence list was reviewed by the Board. A motion was made by D. Scott, supported by B. Congdon, that the correspondence be placed on file and acted upon as required. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Clerk/Treasurer J. Pohlman reviewed the Treasurer’s Report. November and December payroll expenses were as follows: Administrative – $877.78 & $1,187.42 and Operations – $1,522.65 & $2,501.31. December’s payroll expenses include payroll tax payments. $26,100.00 was transferred from S.A.R. Savings to the Debt Service Fund for the RD loan interest payment on January 3, 2011. The October and November 2010 financial statements, presented to the Board, and current balances were reviewed. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the Treasurer’s report as presented and the payment of December bills as follows: Administrative: Quill – $67.40; MN Rural Water Assoc. – $200.00 and St. Louis County Auditor – $1.60. ESA: Citi Lites – $25.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $1.223.77, $82.49, $24.05 & $24.05; City of Virginia – $1,200.00; DVS Renewal – $20.25; Gopher State One Call – $1.45; Hawkins – $959.83; NTS – $276.50; and Terry’s Operational Services – $10.11 & $1,350.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board did not approve payment of $258.81 to the Department of Employment, $4,477.43 to St. Louis County-Public Works Dept., $104,422.48 & $33,550.48 to U.S.A, Inc., or $7,770.00 & $11,655.00 to S.E.H. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve payment of the November bills paid in December when there was no meeting as follows: Administrative: Costin Group – $1,057.50 & $1018.00; Crane Lake Chapel – $150.00; and Glorvigen – $5,210.00. Operations: Lake Country Power – $425.33, $76.62, $24.05 & $24.05; Anderson Barging – $1,396.00; Hawkins – $928.54; NTS – $373.25; Jim Pohlman – $108.61; Terry’s Operational Services – $678.00, $10.11 & $1,080.00. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Rate Schedule Report: The Board agreed that the rates would remain the same until the cash flow settles and the results of the RLK mediation are known. Also current and future expansion will be considered. Rates will be reviewed again in the spring.
Fund Transfers: No transfers from the Operating Fund to S.A.R Savings and C.R. Savings were approved at this time.
- Insurance Claim: A refund check has been received from LMCIT for invoices pertaining to lightning damage to equipment at the treatment plant that were submitted to Allied Adjusters. Any other applicable invoices will be forwarded to Allied Adjusters as received. The claim has not been closed at this time.
- T. Jackson Contract Renewal: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, that the contract would remain the same with an increase from 6 hours to 7 hours increasing the fixed fee from $720 to $840 for a four week month and to $870 for a five week month. Extra trips to CL will be added to compensation. Registration, travel and lodging expenses for one conference per year will be included in the contract. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 5, 2011
- Board Designates: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the following designates for the District in 2011:
Cope & Peterson remains as council as needed for the District.
Fryberger, Buchanan Law Firm remains as primary council for the District.
Glorvigen, Thies remains as the accounting firm for the District.
Any bank may be used with American Bank being designated as the financial institution for the District.
Carl Brown Consulting remains as a financial consulting firm on an as needed basis for the District.
Costin Group remains as the consulting firm for the District.
S.E.H. remains as engineering firm for the District.
Terry Jackson of Terry’s Operational Service remains as Plant Operator for the District.
Jim Pohlman remains as primary Maintenance Worker for the District.
Deanne Howard and Terrie Hoff remain to provide administrative work for the District.
CNH remains as the official newspaper for the District.
All voted in favor and the motion carried.
A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to approve the following administrative designates for the District for 2011:
Rental payment to the Crane Lake Chapel remains at $25 per meeting.
Meeting Date, Time & Location: First Wednesday of each month, 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall.
Posting Places: Church, Post Office, Fire Hall and area resorts when open with 1 posting annually.
All meeting changes will be posted as they occur.
Minutes Distribution: On website and mailed by written request.
Copy and Information Request Policy: Charge of 25 cents per copy (includes labor) for copy requests and $25 per hour for other labor requests.
Salaries: Jim – $18/hour, Jo Ann – $18/hour, Terrie – $100/month, Deanne – $50/month.
Mileage: Follow state guideline, which fluctuates and is currently .50 cents per mile.
All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Inc. called to participate in the meeting at 8PM.
- ESA CSAH 24 Expansion Funding Status: Mr. Jenniges believes receipt of funding is two weeks away and requested that a motion be passed authorizing the Chairman and Clerk to sign fund payment requests. A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott, to authorize signature approval of fund payment requests by the Chairman and the Clerk, and payment of approved pay requests to U.S.A., Inc. and S.E.H., Inc. upon fund receipt. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- U.S.A., Inc. Pay Requests Nos. 1 & 2 and Change Order No. 1: A motion was made by B. Congdon, supported by D. Scott to approve U.S.A., Inc. Pay Request No. 1 for $104,422.48 and Pay Request No. 2 for $33, 550.48 and Change Order No. 1 for $3,729.39, an increase on the original contract price, as recommended by S.E.H., Inc. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- Construction Update: Construction will continue in the spring.
- Easements: Temporary easements are in place and final drafts will be made when grinders are in place.
- S.E.H. ESA Proposal: General information has been presented to the Board and will be refined.
- Culvert Sewer Issue: S.E.H. presented two options to the Board. The Board discussed those and other options including talking to Terry Jackson and Quality Flow for their input and running water by selected property owners to prevent freezing. A meeting with the County and District Board members is scheduled for January 6th to discuss the District’s freezing concerns as they relate to the culvert.
- Mediation: There was no update
- Hearing: A telephone conference call hearing will be held regarding an unemployment issue on January 26th at 10:45AM with Bill Congdon, Terrie Hoff and Jo Ann Pohlman attending.
- The VNP Clean Waters Joint Powers Board monthly meeting was held on December 2, 2010. Gary Cerkvenik provided a funding update – The WRDA II bill has been submitted and Senator Klobuchar is in full support. Other funding options are being pursued. The Board is making efforts to include representation from the VNP Association, and the IJC on the Advisory Board to the JPB. Ash River has begun discussion to establish the Ash River Sewer District.
CLWSD Meeting Minutes – January 5, 2011
Collection System Expansion
- See above teleconference with Randy Jenniges of S.E.H., Inc.
Collection System O & M
- Freezing Corrective Action Status: There was no report.
- I&I Corrective Action Status: More infiltration work will be done when the District feels the repairs to date are working and as funds permit.
Treatment Plant and Operations Report
- J. Pohlman reported that all state and federal limitations were maintained during November and December.
- Sludge was disposed by A-1 Service to the Virginia Wastewater Treatment Plant. Others have expressed interest in providing this service and will be considered. The annual biosolids report has been prepared for the September 1, 2009 through August 31, 2010 period.
- Recirculation Pump: The pump was installed by Electric Pump Company on January 5th. An electrician may need to coordinate the controls for automatically alternating the pumps and electric actuator valves.
- Additional Maintenance Personnel: An ad will be placed in the local paper for additional maintenance personnel.
PUBLIC COMMENT (5 Minute Limit): There were none.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk
NEXT MEETING: FEBRUARY 2, 2011, 7:30PM, CRANE LAKE CHAPEL FELLOWSHIP HALL
This draft of the CLWSD minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the CLWSD Board of Managers.